1. Nick Schwab's rating of the film The Sentinel

Watchable for its occasional strangeness, if otherwise underwhelming for its refusal to really go for the jugular both in intensity of scares or as a psychological freakout. Rosemary's Baby may be subtle, but that film is built around a strong conflict and ever-so poignant emotional stakes, while the similar The Beyond is submerged in nightmares. The Sentinel never really gets going, and is often underwhelming.

2. Bob's rating of the film The Sentinel

Synopsis and the cast promise potential genre classic, but it comes as pretty much sold attempt on satanic sub-genre. Eerie atmosphere, few awkward moments of dark humor and couple of worthwhile make-up effects are highlights of what it seems as a washed-up story with plain characters, weird editing and immunity to shock.

3. LauraPalmer's rating of the film The Sentinel

4. ergotismus's rating of the film The Sentinel

Oddly similar to some of Fulci's films from the 80s, but nowhere near as good. Enjoyed the cat's birthday party.

5. film_lies101's rating of the film The Sentinel

I knew Catholics were evil but this is the limit

6. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film The Sentinel

Lurid sure but there's Burgess Meredith and The cat party From Hell is pretty great!

7. Pymo's rating of the film The Sentinel

When the party doesn't exist...

8. Log Lady's rating of the film The Sentinel

Mostly random and pointless, with many scenes that are way too drawn out, not to mention the tacky and offensive ending. Having seen Polanski's The Tenant, creepy neighbours often fall short in other films, and the satanic hysteria rarely manages to scare me. There were highlights though: Walken, Goldblum, Gardner, and the glorious cat party. From now on I will rave about the cat party.

9. Stacey's rating of the film The Sentinel

Slightly off topic, but I was wondering how many movies used the Dante quote "abandon all hope ye who enter"?

10. MODERNGRUMBLE's rating of the film The Sentinel

love the stop motion/pixellation of the attacking father as he is cut to ribbons - nightmare vision, and the best of a rather lurid and sleazy film.

11. Polyglot's rating of the film The Sentinel

I only watched this for the cat party scene.

12. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film The Sentinel

A rather odd big budget studio horror film made to cash-in the late 60s-70s satanic craze that produced a few masterpieces of the genre. Michael Winner's lack of subtlety condemns the film to look as a poor and shoddy attempt, despite an all star cast and an eerie premise.

13. Igor Leoni's rating of the film The Sentinel

Good story but poorly executed. The music's too hysterical, the excessive lighting killed the atmosphere (a horror movie should be darker), and the acting is dreadful. Still pretty daring and extreme for its time (the lesbian scene and the ending), and it was fun to see Walken, Goldblum and Berenger starting their careers.

14. Frank ViSo's rating of the film The Sentinel

15. Matt Reddick's rating of the film The Sentinel

Yes, offensive trash. I still enjoyed it! I rarely use the term, but this, along with Prophecy, are "so bad, they're good." They take themselves way too seriously and fail at so many levels, it reminds you how easily a movie can totally fall apart. Not recommended unless you are slumming.

16. Ethan Vestby's rating of the film The Sentinel

17. MarcH's rating of the film The Sentinel

Some cable channel listed this on the Top 100 Scariest Moments, so I went looking for it. Of course, once that moment was ruined it was no longer scary, and sadly the rest of the movie sucks...BUT, it gets a few points for effort since the setting is so cool, and for gathering such an impressive (if wasted) cast.

18. Shelley's rating of the film The Sentinel

a vibrant, 70s phantasmagorie. this is one of my all-time favorite horror films from this era. also love the appearance of Ava Gardner and Jeff Goldblum. "black and white cat, black and white cake." one of the creepiest films out there

19. Marcus Killerby's rating of the film The Sentinel

Terribly directed, written and acted. The one good actor in the film, Christopher Walken, says 7 words I believe, although he gets plenty of pointless camera time of him smirking or looking confused. I completely agree with SCOUT that the last 10 minutes are incredibly offensive. One Star.

20. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film The Sentinel

Deadly dull junk substituting grotesque zombies for scares. Oddly cast yes, but even the presence of B Meredith, J Carridine, S Miles and C Walken can't save it

21. mjgildea's rating of the film The Sentinel

With an out there cast and the opportunity to ease into or get comfortable with the movie never afforded to its audience, The Sentinel is definitely a hard watch at points. There's so much jarring randomness to this movie you're never quite sure if its supposed to be a dream or not. A few parts failed to keep my attention but the last 10 minutes sort of saved it. Not too bad, but I've seen this done before...

22. Scout Tafoya's rating of the film The Sentinel

Fucking abhorrent. Dull and crazy until the ending, in which Michael Winner posits that Hell is full of the deformed and mentally handicapped. To achieve this, he actually hired a group of people who were seriously deformed to scare the lead. Even if that didn't absolutely kill off whatever merit the movie may have had, it's still a rip-off of twelve better films. Offensive Trash.

23. Pierre's rating of the film The Sentinel

Reminds me a bit of Rosemary's Baby.

24. Matt's rating of the film The Sentinel

Finally, people that see this movie the same way that I do! This gets too much praise everywhere else.