1. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Set-Up

2. Nachtreich's rating of the film The Set-Up

3. Braden Vallenères's rating of the film The Set-Up

You can almost smell the sweaty locker room and the hot peanuts.

4. Aardsy's rating of the film The Set-Up

Boxing is such a lovely sport.

5. FISCHER's rating of the film The Set-Up

Corruption discrète et fréquentes magouilles dans le monde fermé de la boxe à travers l'édifiant destin d'un certain Bill "Stoker" Thompson, un vétéran du ring. Excellente vision d'un microcosme ! www.cinefiches.com

6. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The Set-Up

Quite the straight-forward story but nonetheless it works really well. The boxing match, although it looked a little archaic, formed the most exciting part of the movie. Throughout this segment the tension kept rising as the question of who would win loomed over it. I wasn't a fan of the end though, typical studio era stuff.

7. Terry_Moby's rating of the film The Set-Up

Tough film, compelling story, tightly directed. Ryan is first class. A candidate for the top three sport films ever.

8. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Set-Up

Just a beautiful film, and such a simple story. Shot by shot one of the best "filmed" films of all of the 40s. Wise may be more well known for his blockbuster musicals, but this one is not to be slept on. Essential for fans of sports movies for sure.

9. Aaken's rating of the film The Set-Up

Perhaps Robert Ryan's best performance, and also one of the best films about the world of boxing. 72 minutes of the life of a boxer. Virtuosic and masterful film by Robert Wise.

10. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Set-Up

11. Log Lady's rating of the film The Set-Up

Boxing is a major turn-off for me, but (as with Raging Bull) good direction ensures none of that matters. The Set-Up does have a very simple plot, but it also feels modern and the cinematography and camerawork are divine (especially in the alley scene with all the shadows on the wall!). Completely won me over, and kept me on the edge of my seat.

12. Scorpio Velvet's rating of the film The Set-Up

The fight of a lifetime - masterfully told in real time.

13. Ben Bosko's rating of the film The Set-Up

14. Sara Duffy's rating of the film The Set-Up

15. A47's rating of the film The Set-Up

"Don't you see Bill, you'll always be one punch away." Rather dialogue heavy, and the script is comprised of entire scenes where characters are just watching things, but the interesting performances save the movie from becoming boring and thus, the simple plot shines through. A well directed piece of cinema. "Alright Stoker, we'll talk, now."

16. Ingrid Bergman's rating of the film The Set-Up

What a great movie! Although the plot is simple, the story is compellingly told thanks to a great script, wonderful performances from the cast and first class direction by Robert Wise. Recommended viewing!

17. Johnny K's rating of the film The Set-Up

It is noir, sports, and drama at the highest level.

18. SALESK's rating of the film The Set-Up

One of the finest films I've ever seen.

19. DonToni's rating of the film The Set-Up

Amazing film from the opening titles to the bittersweet ending. I wonder how the real-time storytelling felt back in those days. The film is totally contemporary and effective because every device is there for the sake of the story. I felt tension building up before a match and actually felt the sickening feeling in my stomach, waiting for bad things to happen. A must-see.

20. Dave's rating of the film The Set-Up

Probably the finest boxing film outside of Raging Bull. Just all around outstanding- beautifully shot, wonderfully written, and as arguably bleak as noir gets.

21. Jazzaloha's rating of the film The Set-Up

Terrific film. Visually interesting with a satisfying story.

22. call_me_Al's rating of the film The Set-Up

Beautifully shot boxing sequences. I like how everything took place in one night. It had a feel that is similar to watching High Noon. I felt the movie was going a bit slow at first, but by the end of the fight, I was completely engrossed in what was happening. I think the movie will grow on me more with repeated viewings. Definitely worth checking out, if nothing else, for the boxing sequences.

23. Blake GOBLE's rating of the film The Set-Up

Not my favorite, but possibly, arguably, the greatest work of sports fiction. Redemption, tension and the scrap and circumstance that comes with any engaging sporting event. Perfect.