1. Daniel's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

2. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

2.4 stars. That mean old Haneke seemed awfully proud in interview when I saw him talking about killing all those fish. He'd kill the actors too if he could get away with it - you'd better believe it! This is a fierce diorama, but without hope, why make a political film? I guess this is the ground zero from which Haneke has slowly built a tentatively humanist (though very pessimistic) cinema.

3. Chearth's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

4. Shahin Katila's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

5. ig_____or's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

The film could be slightly shorter. The voyeuristic insight into the family routine takes 3/4 of the film, but once destruction starts, a growing feeling of discomfort sucks you in until that devastating ending. Hanekes's first feature-film is a powerful introduction to several recurring themes present in his other films.

6. Anca.'s rating of the film The Seventh Continent

and when I thought I was finally through with the never-ending demolition scene... he had to mess with the fish

7. OLIVER-J's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

perfect Haneke, ahead of many in 1989.

8. sicagabri's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

Great framing of scenes which many times the things are shown with so many details and the faces of the actors are not visible. I could have never imagined a scene in which a fish dies could be so impactating.

9. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

A rather laboured nihilistic intrigue that successfully builds up a rhythmic procedure of mundanities but fails to ignite much interest - intellectual or emotional - once the pattern is repeated time and again. There's a certain elan in the detached spareness and some level of comment on the robotics of life as led, but it could have been told at half the length without compromise; a question of length not pace.

10. Gioele's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

11. FISCHER's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

Un stupéfiant film "d'horreur", d'une implacable noirceur existentielle ! www.cinefiches.com

12. belemir's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

13. tyb's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

14. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

Gives new meaning to the phrase "Going to Australia". What's up with the spoiler in the description, MUBI? Very glad I didn't come here first. I knew something bad was going to happen, so I watched carefully for signs. I noticed you didn't see their faces for quite a while and the ritualistic nature of what was going on. There was so little feeling going on. In the end it struck me as being a bit heavy handed.

15. N. C.'s rating of the film The Seventh Continent

as Disturbing as Haneke

16. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

A rejection of normalcy and mundanity, 'The Seventh Continent' is nerve wracking. Haneke does more than turn the mirror to face society; he subdues us into prolonged eye contact with ourselves, shatters the mirror as we're dozing off and stabs us in vital organs with the shards.

17. ermete polpette's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

18. Rafael Zen's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

Damn, what a great way to make me speechless! Haneke's debut is a cinema delight: it has a fresh vision of its imagery, it delivers striking performances and it's good from second one to its ending - all done with a mature hand for provocative statements. The aquarium, the toilet, the blindness, the slapping, the agony - so present, so common, so daily. Seventh Continent shocks: it's gutsy and powerful.

19. lowplacelikehome's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

20. uenus's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

21. Marjan Mar's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

Dying will be an awfully big adventure...

22. ammar's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

23. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

24. wiwitaek's rating of the film The Seventh Continent

Love this movie. Totally can relate to that family