1. Étrange's rating of the film The Sheik and I

Zahedi is lucky enough to have start a movie in a place that creates its own subject matter, for what we see is that his initial idea is too weak. If the restrictions hadn't come up he would have been incapable of presenting a compelling movie. This way he dealt with his favourite subject matter, himself.

2. Superfrog's rating of the film The Sheik and I

Nearly got a 3 because in the noise it does unearth interesting points. But 'Borat the film maker in UAE' failing to make a thoroughly incisive piece by having a meta documentary about not making a documentary. The self critical bits are supposed to balance this, but it does not really work. Culturally insensitive in parts, for no good reasons.

3. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Sheik and I

Lies and videotape but no sex - only religion and a lot of scared paranoid people who are afraid to offend anyone who make fun of their leaders and their own religion. It is a frustrating film to watch as the director is too self-centered to actually manage to show us how why he has to be so rude to other cultures to prove a point about censorship when why this exists never is asked. Has potential but nothing more.

4. siobhantebbs's rating of the film The Sheik and I

After watching this movie I felt very curious about what the Sharjah Art Foundation's definition of 'subversive' actually was. It seemed to me that Caveh did exactly what they asked for...

5. Jose Miguel's rating of the film The Sheik and I

La historia atrapa de inmediato, no sé si es un capricho del director o una exploración política seria. El montaje me gustó. Si uno piensa en ver sólo las escenas que realmente quería grabar Caveh no se vería algo más lejano de un intento amateur. Lo que es interesante de la película es el conflicto y finalmente la redención que logran los personajes y más aún Sharjah.

6. Appskosam's rating of the film The Sheik and I

Simply Stupid. Making mockery about other countries culture and trying to defend themselves as right towards end. This director lacks compassion. Worthless

7. Nastasia Kerouac's rating of the film The Sheik and I

Отличный документальный фильм

8. Ayşe Şirin Çakmakçı's rating of the film The Sheik and I

Zahedi has a bold personality and what he does with this film shows that quality. However, I sometimes asked myself while watching how ethical it was to put in danger all of those people. When you go into a community and shooting something; what is important? Is it important to make good cinema, or not endangering vulnerable people?

9. Juan Javier's rating of the film The Sheik and I

A pesar de ser una gringada, es una buena gringada.

10. sunil_kumar's rating of the film The Sheik and I

It's obnoxiously self-aware in a way that can almost be grating. I hate those kind of movies. But this movie worked for me because it felt honest in its awareness and its self-referentiality mainly because of Caveh Zahedi. It's also organically funny, and has something to say about creativity and imperialism albeit in an admittedly ignorant way. It's almost an anti-documentary in the way it progresses and ends.

11. nica's rating of the film The Sheik and I

My viewing experience was one part “he is THE Western audience dream filmmaker” and the other seeing value to parts of it. I think the first ultimately won, and there could have been a much better film made from and about this.

12. Mike Jempson's rating of the film The Sheik and I

By turns irritating & fascinating. The arrogance of trying to make a film without fully appreciating 'cultural/political' constraints - whether legitimate or not - and thinking how best to circumscribe them to best effect. It should NOT involve putting innocents at risk on a whim. (And if the crew are being paid why not pay the participants?) And yet a brave attempt to describe the absence of freedom of expression.

13. Aris's rating of the film The Sheik and I

The laziness of a sloppy, parasitic & uninspired big-mac culture meets film. Culturally disrespectful (on the verge of abusive), intellectually vacant and artistically derelict. I need to watch one more piece of trash like to cancel my mubi subscription. I want more than this.

14. Amy's rating of the film The Sheik and I

Obnoxious and patronising, lazy film making

15. LibertyCapz's rating of the film The Sheik and I

I really enjoyed this film. Caveh Zahedi is such a passionate and provocative guy, but at the same time hes so nice and likable. To see him stick his nose where it's not 'really' welcome, and push people's buttons is almost thrilling in a way. I don't know if I would have dared a lot of the stuff he did in this. Definitely going to keep an eye out for the rest of this guy's stuff. Really recommend this film!

16. ha!'s rating of the film The Sheik and I

Coffee meets Paranoia :)

17. MicheleMpls's rating of the film The Sheik and I

Excellent! I really enjoyed this film and Caveh Zahedi is the filmmaker I want to be when I grow up.

18. El Biffo's rating of the film The Sheik and I

3.8 stars. Amusing and, ultimately, informative. And I do not think it is offensive to Islam, at least not in its spirit. Maybe some very devout people would consider it blasphemous, but I don't believe that blasphemy should be a punishable offense. And it doesn't insult Mohammed, but it is a critical look at United Arab Emirates laws and how their society functions without being nasty or mean-spirited.

19. Philip Conklin's rating of the film The Sheik and I

As they bump up against censorship, Zahedi's crew seem to imagine themselves as arbiters of free speech, as noble crusaders pushing the boundaries of a stifled society. But they do little to explore what it’s like to live in a society of utter state domination, in which the citizens’ participation in their own domination constitutes its strongest element. http://www.theperipherymag.com/filmgoing-in-the-internet-age

20. alexyoungen's rating of the film The Sheik and I

He clearly put people's lives in danger. But I got really wrapped up in this movie. Also, Caveh's reliance on subtitles shows that Documentary editing is a total crap shoot. I mean, what constitutes a proper select?

21. olivier's rating of the film The Sheik and I

very conceited and uninspired

22. Weston Campbell's rating of the film The Sheik and I

An interesting look at society in the UAE, but gratingly self-righteous at times. I agree with Zahedi's argument, but in trying to humanize his foreign associates he only further alienates those who are not already somewhat westernized.

23. crystal meff's rating of the film The Sheik and I

Hilarious ! Beckett feels the cold on his skin.

24. Bill Jobes's rating of the film The Sheik and I