1. Chris's rating of the film The Shipping News

the acting and scenery hold the movie up, and i eventually got used to the questionable accents, but overall a decent film that made me cry (also i loved the little gay twist)

2. smndvdcl's rating of the film The Shipping News

Spacey and Moore can elevate almost any film, regardless of the mawkish elements which burden the film's dramatic clout.

3. Mariana Narciso's rating of the film The Shipping News

4. Gustavo Razera's rating of the film The Shipping News

The only element that rings true in this woefully misconceived self-improvement drama is Judi Dench's no-nonsense lesbian mentor. I'm still unsure whether Spacey's performance is indeed horrendous or he was simply miscast. Overall it feels more like a parody of an awards-baiting prestige pic than a genuine piece of work from the same man capable of delivering heartwarming and heartbreaking things like Gilbert Grape.

5. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The Shipping News

A not quite convincing Kevin Spacey is only partly helped by the under used Dench and Postlethwaite, both usually excellent performers.

6. orangey's rating of the film The Shipping News

is there a dumbing down machine in Hollywood for europeans ?

7. J. O.'s rating of the film The Shipping News

Being a proud Newfoundlander, I cannot overlook the awful accents most of the cast put on for this film - although I do understand that most people won't know the difference. All in all, it was well crafted with gorgeous cinematography and a compelling, artfully told story. Gordon Pinsent was particularly funny, as usual, and the comedic moments really helped along the pace of this otherwise darkly whimsical film.

8. Cedric Pin's rating of the film The Shipping News