1. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film The Shooting

I think this anticipates the kind of revisions they would make to the idea of genre in the 1980s/90s (even up until today), not in the Golden Age. It skims across the tawdry realities in order to grasp at Pure Existential Allegory. It's style is remarkably stripped for the heady days of the 60s, and I must give it credit for that restraint. Yet the central enigma feels a bit fabricated, loosely applicable to analysis

2. Ethan's rating of the film The Shooting

This is a nice little existential head trip of a western that features the always great Warren Oates.

3. Valentin Alexandru's rating of the film The Shooting

4. Aardsy's rating of the film The Shooting

Cowboy Mumbles rides into the sunset.

5. Caramel Cookie's rating of the film The Shooting

Very sombre and relentless film with astonishing camera. It's a story about the American landscape: images of the desert and jagged cliffs seem to portray the emotional state of its protagonists.

6. Michael Diers's rating of the film The Shooting

Sehr interessanter Western mit Mystery-Motiven. Das Ende ist offen für Interpretationen. Leider ist der Ton nicht der beste, so dass die englische Sprache kaum zu verstehen ist.

7. Rafael's rating of the film The Shooting

Nice landscape and an interesting women's role for a western.

8. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film The Shooting

Atypical western, suspensful desert pursuit...heavy and rather atmospheric one for the genre. The bad thing is the lack of substance when you look more in details. I'm not a fan despite I prefere this to most of U.S western films from the so called golden era.

9. dr0nestar's rating of the film The Shooting

A deconstruction of the western genre into its stark materials

10. LauraPalmer's rating of the film The Shooting

Finally I find a western with a MAIN FEMALE ROLE.

11. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Shooting

An albeit unique western, it is also one that feels empty. That may have to do with the barrenness of the landscape, portrayed as desolate in a way I haven't often seen in the genre, but also it may have to do with the thinness of the plot and seemingly random and arbitrary aura of the film itself. The characters actions don't seem to make a lot of sense, and the the whole thing feels underwhelming and unnecessary

12. animalcalls's rating of the film The Shooting

This Beckettian oater is a rambling, spare vision of doom, with the epic nothingness of the desert standing in for the flames of hell. Figures ride on horses that keep dying, trudging through a meaningless, barely coherent search for a town, or a person, or it's not entirely clear what. Chances are those tracks they left will be followed by another doomed caravan, it's trail of blood resembling an ouroboros.

13. TheCentralRuhr's rating of the film The Shooting

14. Christopher Taylor's rating of the film The Shooting

This masterpiece of a western is such, not in a John Ford or Sam Peckinpah way, but in a way completely of it's own. That is one of the reasons it stands out to me in a sea of genre storytelling. It is minimal and cryptic, but no less immersive than the best of the straight narratives of it's type.

15. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film The Shooting

16. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Shooting

If the West had always been a subject for myth, here it comes closest to allegory: an expanse where Death, Guilt, Other, Self, etc. roam and find their resting place. It's open to myriad interpretations—nothing too tidy, since it's got all the tidiness of a Corman film shot in three weeks—but the point is that it encourages interpretation and makes it irresistible. For 1966, a Western closer to Bergman than Ford.

17. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The Shooting

Atractivo western sobre una huida, una mujer sin nombre y dos hombres que sin saberlo han sdido contratados como cazarecompenzas. "El tiroteo" inicia con varias interrogantes que tienen ese sabor de misterios, los cuales no se responden, sino se asumen. ¿Por qué un hombre se sentó a esperar la muerte? ¿por qué los caballos van muriendo? ¿Las huellas no era de un gran grupo? Un final que incluso desconcierta

18. Jason's rating of the film The Shooting

The raw inevitable. We will march there. We will bear witness to our own demise. Only Millie Perkins' excruciating voice does anything to get in the way of the perfection. The condensed magnified. This is the microapocalypse according to Monte Hellman, take one.

19. Francisco R.'s rating of the film The Shooting

Although Nicholson's performance smacks of self-indulgence, this is an amazing western. One of the best I've seen.

20. David Grillo's rating of the film The Shooting

Western archetypes wither away in front of us picked apart by a desert chase without an end even the shooter we encounter our villain has the same face as our hero the entire movie is like a mirage. The western reduced to sweaty cowboy hats and tired horses.

21. meg1's rating of the film The Shooting

Couldn't believe how good this was & nestled away from my attention all these years. Thanks to Robert for the heads up :):) Oh Coin Where Art Thou? 4/5

22. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film The Shooting

Yeah I found myself kind of puzzled initially... but when I rewatched it finally got to me

23. Nick Block's rating of the film The Shooting

I appreciate the application of Camus' theories to the western genre, and the general lack of exposition. However, other than Oates and Nicholson, the acting was just plain bad. The overacting present in the minimal dialog detracted heavily from the ideas that were meant to spring forward through the sparseness.

24. Colton Bose's rating of the film The Shooting

I can't believe I hated this when I first saw it. This is film is amazing.