1. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film The Shootist

A man of the past, out of place, an outsider, not in tune with current time. Wayne, atypically, is playing the weak, the scared, the doomed. This, and the way how he handles his matters, makes 'The Shootist' remarkable. Also, under these circumstances, how Brooks manages to built a 'relationship' with Mrs. Rogers is an interesting element. The rest is an average to good craftmanship of cinema. 3,5 stars.

2. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Shootist

People think of John Wayne as a conservative and Jimmy Stewart as being kind, but the truth is that Jimmy Stewart was just as conservative. Be forewarned. Sentimentality on full blast here.

3. Scorpio Velvet's rating of the film The Shootist

Must say that the final gunfight sequence was perhaps the best in all of The Duke's films, also ranking it as my third favorite he starred in.

4. Beatriz Ourique's rating of the film The Shootist

"I don't believe I ever killed a man that didn't deserve it."

5. Dignan's rating of the film The Shootist

I award this film one star, or one K from the Kowalski System. According to said system, a one K film is akin to "no-pleasure-guilt, lost time, bad candy, bad trips, no potential, selfish, rancid.." and a film experience in which "I'd rather cut myself with a rusty razor from the french revolution." Don Siegel shall henceforth be called: one K Siegel.

6. Severus Snape's rating of the film The Shootist

"I'm a dying man, scared of the dark."

7. João Eça's rating of the film The Shootist

"The Shootist" can be regarded as one of the most literal reflections on myth through reality: a cancer-dying John Wayne (both in the movie as in real life) falls in love with a beautiful Lauren Bacall and sets himself to die with dignity in a last shoot-out: a man so anachronic that it is Nature that has to kill him because no other man can - his death a sort of romantic suicide and a final breath of the wild West.

8. Kentel's rating of the film The Shootist

Absurd dialogues, stereotyped characters, ridiculous ending, bad music, uninteresting shootings (both with guns and cameras). Pseudo-Bergman in the West.The last, and probably the least of the Duke.

9. Christopher Taylor's rating of the film The Shootist

John Wayne emotes incredibly well in a film that is art imitating life. An end to a mythos many years in the making, a fitting double feature to The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

10. Bill Thompson's rating of the film The Shootist

The Duke bows out in a great movie, but the way his bowing out was handled was surprising and made the movie...

11. Hyde's rating of the film The Shootist

It's not about the west so much as it's about the death of Hollywood

12. rorydean's rating of the film The Shootist

By this time in Wayne's career he has just about done it all and here he shines, partly due to all the work leading up to this film and also because of his health and other such concerns - one of those films that sits with you awhile and then you realize how easy he makes it all look. Siegel directed two of my favorite episodes of the Twilight Zone including an amazing film with Steve McQueen.

13. chanandre's rating of the film The Shootist

[Cinémathèque PT #472: 35 mm] (2007)

14. Danno's rating of the film The Shootist

A disappointing movie. Feels like it was made for TV. I wonder what it could've been if Sam Fuller or Sam Peckinpah had made it.