1. Fabiha's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

"Soli Deo Gloria [To God alone the glory]"

2. fearraigh's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

I'm not entirely sure how it ties together the film's putative thesis but it is very watchable and constantly inventive. Definitely worth watching.

3. Joseph Davila's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

Worth the view, if only for the cinematography and music.

4. jorge's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

5/5 Me imagine que era como una especie de concierto, pero tiene un pequenio plus, como sea nada que se quede.

5. Simonas's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

I get what they're doing, I wanted to like it, but it was so hard to sit through. I think it was because of long shots. You pick up on what the author is doing and the shot just keeps going, your mind starts to wander, it becomes hard to stay engaged through the whole movie. Still, I'd say it's pretty well done, but definitely not for everyone

6. Alex's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

7. Ray Kril's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

Mesmerizing, thought provoking, Perfect meditation "Part meditation and part documentary, interspersing performance sequences with narrative vignettes... Rather than providing another worshipful monument to Bach the figure, the film savors the intimate creative moments that result in magnificence. Gratefully and modestly evoked, Bach becomes even more breathtaking. " NEW YORK MOVIES

8. rogerio.giugliano@gmail.com's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

Cenas muito bonitas e história interessante.

9. AVA's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

Ich finde die Verbindung zwischen Musik/Geschichtlichem/Umfeld und auch Moderne/Vergangenem sehr gelungen. Beeindruckend auch die unterschiedliche Interpretation Bachs Musik.Eine jede für sich wundervoll!!

10. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

A manifold film with nice and sometimes surprisingly fresh ideas (like playing Bach in the subway wagon with twenty cellists in unison). But for me as musicologist this filmic essay on Bach and his impact turns out to be a little too heroic. Anyway, I appreciated the short reference to Simon Laks and his fate, because this is a mostly neglected and not well known chapter of music history.

11. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

I loved the way Mendelssohn's butcher story was conveyed. Whole movie is a cinematic poetry. Postmodern poetry unfortunately.

12. Pius Strassmann's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

ein katastrophaler film, der der musik bachs weder interpretatorisch,noch historisch, noch durch filmische bilder, noch durch das erzählen mühseliger und längst widerlegter anekdoten, noch schauspielerisch im entferntesten gerecht würde. langweilig vom ersten bis zum letzten moment, eine mühselige geschichte, aufführungspraktisch irgendwo in der zeit vor richter oder gar karajan stehengeblieben. sinnlos betäubend.

13. amoralba's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

Beautiful and loose in its narration, which, I think, makes Bach's music the protagonist.

14. Maya Patricia Garzae's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

15. Sofia Marramá's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

16. DVC's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

17. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

This is what a musical history documentary should look like! Amazing!

18. Gaurav Singhmar's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

I'll tell you about this film. There's hardly been anything like it

19. Wotan's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

great film making about Bach's music

20. Carlo Benedicti's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

Visually and musically magnificent.....

21. Alberto Redighieri's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

Over 60s filmmakers are in charge with experimentalism. What a upside down rude world.

22. http://letterboxd.com/James_'s rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

ha — who knew droll anecdotes and skits would be such a tasteful way to approach the legacy of the greatest musician who ever lived? Portabella maintains a through-line while gently examining openings in the edifice of J.S., a process that locates moments that startle with their sly provocations and even (a few times) deep feelings. Not great, but at least it plays fair with its subject. Charming little film.

23. Cole Caudle's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach

I loved watching this film because at no point could I anticipate where it might go next. The scene with the string of cello players in the subway is pure joyous filmmaking at its finest.

24. Natasha Subramaniam's rating of the film The Silence Before Bach