1. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Singing Detective

The authorial voice writ large and probably Potter's most consistently realised work. It's a superbly layered onion of a plot with multiple switches in time, 'reality' and tone combining to make a most satisfying whole, despite the odd repetition. This production stands out as a particular pinnacle in the ascent of British television (in confidence and nerve) which suffered such a sharp decline the following decade.

2. film_lies101's rating of the film The Singing Detective

A masterpiece of inward suffering and pain

3. Terry_Moby's rating of the film The Singing Detective

The best of British television.

4. mubianer's rating of the film The Singing Detective

Great series. I loved the structure. So many favourite scenes, like the dad making bird sounds in the childhood pub, Marlowe fighting to resist an erection, people watching the corpse being taken out of the Thames. This is "made by Dennis Potter" more than made by Amiel, but he should get lots of praise to, and I want to watch some of his other films now.

5. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film The Singing Detective

This here is some splendid, non-linear & metafictional TV magic for ye. A Gambon tour de force, but then again everything he is in is.

6. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Singing Detective

This showed people what high-quality television could be. Forget about 'The Sopranos' or 'Breaking Bad'. This is for adults who don't need the thrill of violence. "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine." The band Elbow got it's name from this show. Marvelously complex.

7. Cory McAbee's rating of the film The Singing Detective

8. Wally's rating of the film The Singing Detective

What a fabulous film. Dennis Potter was a great writer and there were several films made of his work, with many of the wonderful stock English actors/actresses. I first saw this on PBS way back and bought the video box set immediately. A wonderful companion piece to this is Pennies from Heaven, the Bob Hoskins first version, not that other thing.

9. Spiritchaser's rating of the film The Singing Detective

Possibly my favourite TV series of all time. Cinephiles take note!

10. flyingkettle's rating of the film The Singing Detective

Forget The Wire. You want complex, multilayered storytelling with great acting? Look no further than The Singing Detective. After more than 25 years still cutting edge.

11. Charles Foster Kane's rating of the film The Singing Detective

One of the finest things I've ever seen on television. Period. Why Dennis Potter is not on this site as an "auteur" is beyond me and typical of the cinephile shortsightedness that sees the director as being almost solely responsible for all of a film's creative input. Watch this or any other British teleplay and you'll a credit like this: The Singing Detective by Dennis Potter. That "by" is always the writer.