1. Renata A's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

2. Maudealan's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

Claudette and Miriam are five stars though

3. Aardsy's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

Charming. Could have done without the songs.

4. Braden Vallenères's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

3.5 - it's still early days for musicals so it comes off as a bit stilted at times, but Chevalier, Colbert, and Hopkins all put in great, winking performances and "Jazz Up Your Lingerie" encapsulates everything that I love about Pre-Code Hollywood.

5. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

Another excellent Lubitsch, easily the top director of the 30s. Chevalier plays the Casanova well, Colbert and Hopkins in the same film makes it instantly worth watching, and the script featuring some of the dumbest but insanely catchy songs of the period all add up to brilliance. Lubitsch + Hopkins sure resulted in some must-sees, this one is no different. Highly recommended

6. knockkneed's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

classic script, rich lighting, intricate set design, mature pacing, precise editing

7. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

Delicious pre-code bedroom farce. Cute-but-clunky songs.

8. Aida's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

9. Louise_Dietrich's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

This is by far the weakest of the 3 Lubtisch musicals I have seen. Claudette Colbert's character was the only one who felt genuine. Hopkins' character who changes herself to attract a man is reminiscent of Sandy changing herself to attract Danny in Grease decades later. Maurice Chevalier seemed creepier in this one than the others.

10. WhatsUpWill's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

Sex, sex, sex! All innuendo, of course, so it is respectable. ;) Miriam Hopkins is 3 for 3 for me. I adore her.

11. a Smith's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

The charm and music won me over, but the last 15 minutes lost me. Claudette Colbert's character is the only one I feel is respected by the movie as a whole, the other two leads are reduced to one whose infatuation leads to discarding who she is in order to attract a man and another whose love is so petty as to be swayed by lingerie. Perhaps there is an intended irony here I am not getting, I am not certain.

12. oldfilmsflicker's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

One of the most blatant illustrations of the virgin/whore dichotomy I think I've ever seen.

13. Deadeye Thom's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

Maurice Chevalier is like the oily godfather to the Baldwin brothers. But French.

14. chanandre's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant

[Cinémathèque PT #378: 35 mm] (2006)

15. Lefteris Becerra's rating of the film The Smiling Lieutenant