1. VincentVendetta's rating of the film The Son's Room

Searching and losing oneself, trying to find the right distance, the right words, the right reasons, the right memories to bring back someone lost. And all one needs are a few photos and a Brian Eno record. Here we are, stuck by this river...

2. Dries's rating of the film The Son's Room

palma d'oro inspiegabile

3. FISCHER's rating of the film The Son's Room

Emouvant et d'un précieux humanisme ! www.cinefiches.com

4. Giacomo Confortin's rating of the film The Son's Room

5. Arf's rating of the film The Son's Room

6. smndvdcl's rating of the film The Son's Room

Patrician self-aggrandisement. Further research is required to deduce whether any other works in Moretti's portfolio rise above this mediocre offering. Maybe the 2001 Palme d'Or for this film was an acknowledgement of his previous efforts. 'The Son's Room', minus the context of Moretti's oeuvre, is unconvincing.

7. Mario Lipuma's rating of the film The Son's Room

8. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The Son's Room

Non mi piace Moretti (mi ricollego al discorso di Ken Loach). Questo è il suo migliore.

9. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Son's Room

Reminded me of Ordinary People. An incredibly emotional film that packs a punch diving into the lives of a family after a son is lost. Sweet and painful, I can see why it's regularly hailed as one of the best of the 2000s.

10. João Rocha's rating of the film The Son's Room

11. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film The Son's Room

This might seem callous, but the film would've been much improved if the death had happened on-screen. Not for the shock value; quite the contrary, death can be as banal as life. But removing it from our (and the family's) sight turns the film into the Italian equivalent of an ABC Afterschool Special. A vignette of the day Andrea met Arianna might've also added weight to the post-mortem. Too much story is hidden.

12. Feng Ling's rating of the film The Son's Room

how can one convey a feeling to the unfamiliar? The near nauseating rush at the ride in an amusement park, the zoning in and out of reality imagining alternate histories, the goofy selfies unintended for the wider audience...

13. Loz Loory's rating of the film The Son's Room

A quiet movie about guilt and grief. Not much new here, though I liked the use of the son's red sweatshirt as the symbol of happiness and life. The shot of the coffin being soldered shut was an excellent image of the finality of physical death. Unfortunately, our brains don't do so well when they try to process that finality.

14. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Son's Room

(3.5 stars) Gentle and touching. Directed with a very soft touch. Never felt heavy-handed. Everyone was quite likeable throughout the film. And although the material seemed to be handled very passively, the film did not shy away from the pitfalls of grief.

15. David R Williams's rating of the film The Son's Room

Even though I could see it coming a mile away, when tragedy strikes it still moved me to tears. Unfortunately the rest of the film is a complete paint by numbers job. We've all seen this before. Still - not sorry I watched it again.

16. Jonathan's rating of the film The Son's Room

The filmmaking is fine, the music is fine, the acting is fine. But nothing about this movie really stands out as special which is why I give it three stars. As a father, there were moments I approached tears, but only because of imagining myself in the characters' position of losing a child rather than being moved by the emotion induced by the film.

17. baroquerock's rating of the film The Son's Room

18. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Son's Room

This proves that you can do a low-key movie that's not boring. There is a maturity to his vision that makes you feel like you're in good hands. That last sequence in the film was amazing.

19. Christian's rating of the film The Son's Room

I failed to relate to the level of perfection at which this family operated before the "event," and failed to feel the pain of the event. I'll own the former but the latter (the direction/actors) bears some responsibility.

20. Honeychurch's rating of the film The Son's Room

I love Italian films usually.

21. Jim Fear's rating of the film The Son's Room

There is more to grief than this.

22. Nachtreich's rating of the film The Son's Room

23. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film The Son's Room

Sudden death. Accident. The loss of a child. A very problematic issue is touched here. How can a family -a father, a mother, a sister - 'handle' this?. Self-reproaches, blames, fears, tears, pain.. But somehow the movie lacks the proper implementation and the convincing element. If I may say so.

24. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The Son's Room

How did this win at Cannes?? Lacking insight into dealing with grief with the added problem of mediocre performances,especially by Moretti. Tries to redeem itself with the final 10 minutes.