1. Jeremy's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

So great. There are 7+ pages of rave reviews for this, but to labour the point: this is a must see film, a modern classic. Flat out brilliant.

2. chicajomles's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

It makes you think about all those times you were infatuated with potential Bernards (and the perks of dating a philistin).

3. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

I tend to enjoy most movies from Noah Baumbach and this was no exception, thanks to a wonderful script and SUPERB performances from Laura Linney, Jeff Daniels, Jesse Eisenberg, and Owen Kline, as well as solid support from William Baldwin, Anna Paquin, and Halley Feiffer. Some of the characters may be irritating, but they're irritating in such a narcissistic way that is always mesmerising.

4. Madoc's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Great performances and script make this film. Sometimes a little heavy handed but the film shows enough intelligence and insight to keep the viewer interested.

5. blyniukas's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

I fail to see how this is supposed to be a comedy.. Some sort of saturated mess, not leaving any space for genuine emotion. The way it's written also weirds me out - some dialogues just don't make sense, answers have nothing to do with questions asked. the parents, BOTH of them, act like they don't have any warmth or affection for their kids AT ALL. It's staggeringly cold, rather unrealistic, not to mention unmoving.

6. Ella Dawson-Gorton's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

funny and interesting and heartbreaking. i gave this three stars because it is not a film i'm going to watch again soon. too difficult. But, to be honest, i like how messy and difficult it is. i think that might be the point.

7. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Very funny, honest, and personal. Reminds me a lot of Woody Allen and Wes Anderson. You can really see Anderson's impact on Baumbach — he even used his cinematographer. I love the core four actors in this; all great performances.

8. Robert H's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

A dramatic and delicate film exploring the subject of divorce in an upfront and brash manner amidst surreal family values. Daniels is absolutely fantastic as an ignorant arrogant father, oblivious to the manipulative teachings his sons are picking up on - in particular Eisenberg, who is called-out a few times and can't understand how to deal with it. An intelligent film with fantastic attention to family details.

9. liv@liv's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Why do so many men like this exist!?

10. jaelaah's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Difficult to watch, hard to tell how this is classified as a comedy - but raw, real & important. Incredible depth of character.

11. clara m's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

I HATE PARK SLOPE! good movie tho

12. Fraser's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

A lovely heartfelt movie. Sweet and nurturing

13. Rice Dream Girl's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Family politics and the weird horrors of adolescence. Familiar.

14. nicolecahali's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

gostei! Jesse Eisenberg faz sempre o mesmo papel né? kkk menino enfezado mimado revolts

15. Sara Sousa's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

16. James Mackin's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

My favourite Noah Baumbach film, hit very close to home. Young Jesse Eisenberg is such a cute little shit.

17. fearraigh's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

After watching the similarly themed Meyerowitz, I gave Baumbach's feature debut a first watch since it came out. It holds up more than well, even accumulating greater depth with the work that has come after it. Daniels is but the first of frustrated father artists in Baumbach's films and Eisenberg and Klein are excellent as the siblings who choose sides in the divorce. Improbably funny too.

18. malachiesipucheala94's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Doar pt i hate nastase. He s an asshole altfel maybe 3

19. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

20. Harriehhh's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

This film just makes me so angry. A credit-worthy Jeff Daniels plays the asshole father to a T here, but watching his and Eisenberg's characters expound their toxic, masculine bullshit made me want to smash the TV. For 80 minutes we're faced with this white-washed farce of unnecessary conflict and egotism, that panders and preaches on divorce in such a self-righteous fashion that it becomes mostly unbearable.

21. Diogo Costa's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Every conversation was quirky and almost surreal at times and it made this movie a blast to watch.

22. Quincy Houdayer's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

This is a wonderful depiction of a dysfunctional family. I hated the characters for the first 75% of the movie. I think it was well deserved.

23. C's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

maybe the best film of the 00s about toxic masculinity and the prison of masculinity

24. Louis Léonard's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale