1. Joe Zaydon's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

I haven't cringed this hard at characters in a long time. A taught family drama that packs a lot into 81 minutes but could have easily (and probably should have been) a good 15-20 minutes longer.

2. Quincy Houdayer's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

This is a wonderful depiction of a dysfunctional family. I hated the characters for the first 75% of the movie. I think it was well deserved.

3. C's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

maybe the best film of the 00s about toxic masculinity and the prison of masculinity

4. Louis Léonard's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

5. Madeleine Davis's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

watched this movie when i felt like this movie. i wonder what it's actually like? even then, i was bored by the subject matter.

6. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

A solid work from Noah Baumbach, but I much prefer “Frances Ha.”

7. senitree's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

The best is when he says that he wrote Hey You. Brilliant.

8. Aardsy's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

I need more Brooklyn assholes in my life.

9. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

***1/2. Jesse Eisenberg and Jeff Daniels play two of the most irritating characters I've seen in years.

10. Marjan Mar's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Incredibly honest and sad. Life is just like that sometimes... Why should it be any different?...

11. Khach Glauberrocha's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

12. Murat Erdem's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Duru ve keyifli bir film. Senaryosu içten ve samimi bir yerden yazılmış.

13. truffraud's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

children parenting children

14. Ryan O'Connor (23)'s rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

15. MGeo's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

This was a painful film for me to watch. My parents divorced in my 20s (although not as bitterly as Linney and Daniels) and it deeply scarred me. I recognized/was too familiar with the way Walt and Frank carried themselves emotionally in the film, even though I didn't do exactly what they did. Normally, I'd give this 5 stars, but because it was so personally painful for me to watch it gets 4 stars. Excellent film.

16. case/y's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

at least i finished it

17. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Jeff Daniels should have 5 Oscars by now. He's so good I watched 'Fly Away Home'.

18. Akosua Adasi's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

So so good. Jessie Eisenberg, Jeff Davis, and Noah Baumbach are just the best combination for me! plus jesse's girlfriend schooling him on being a pretentious asshole is so prime

19. Chihao Tsang's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Quite enjoyed this, strong cast, believable characters. Plot gets a bit lost but overall solid

20. Angus George Alexander Brown's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

Sweet and poignant: Baumabach teaches you to hate and love each and every one of the characters, and the film shines with a buoyancy and intimacy.

21. Squashua's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

A relatively lacklustre shrug of a divorce tale with a bundle of unlikeable characters (the dad being especially insufferable) firing verbal blanks at one another to no avail as the indie tropes roll in and 80's alt-folk soundtrack plays purely for hipster cred. On the plus side, the cat was adorable & would definitely be my number one claim in a divorce settlement (followed by all the books and the NY townhouse).

22. AnnalieseVevo's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale

white people are some shook ones

23. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Squid and the Whale