1. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The State of Things

Improvising throughout the film. The first hour it feels mostly documentaric and real but it ends (for me) false and fantastic losing it’s fascination as it reaches it’s conclusion. Sam Fuller has the greatest moments.

2. sanqfroid's rating of the film The State of Things

A film in spite of Hollywood, stripping back the façade of modernity to reveal the grey bones of a wasteland which renders everyone an actor in the performance of survival, feeding on morsels of nostalgia before all melts. It is a demanding feature presenting a visual and sonic terrain that leaves the viewer lost within the grain of image and sound, like the isolation that walls in the actors at the end of a set.

3. Not A Sexy Vampire's rating of the film The State of Things

In some ways, an exorcism for Wenders after his disastrous experience with Coppola and New Hollywood. An enjoyably grumpy Sam Fuller states "Life is in colour but black and white is more realistic." The rest of the film uses that idea as a launchpad to evaluate the differences between European and American cinema and their fundamental incompatibility. Ending makes allegorical sense but is too clever for its own good.

4. tubbssw's rating of the film The State of Things

Most of the screenplay is uninteresting and claustrophobic until the main protagonist visits LA where although there are some "on the road" segments it is only LA and not some interesting European city. The soundtrack is good.

5. DebraM's rating of the film The State of Things

I love movies about movies and this is one of the best and most audacious. Patrick Bauchau is simply wonderful as the beleaguered director, backed up by a great supporting cast. I always find the ending of this difficult (it feels out of step with the rest of the film) and I wonder if it was chosen more to please US audiences of the early 80s rather than serve the narrative

6. Renton47's rating of the film The State of Things

Unexpected, and sometimes you have to just admit when a film outsmarts your preconceptions. Was very much in the market for that early sci-fi. Soundtrack and sound design especially great. Is living large in my mind, think I might really love it if I get a chance to see in a cinema.

7. Mohammad Hassan Movasagh's rating of the film The State of Things

8. Edgar Matozo's rating of the film The State of Things

Loved almost everything about this movie: the agonizing and melancholic mood, the good acting, the desolate Portugal locations, the score and especially the striking black and white photography. The ending was a bit annoying, though.

9. Ethan's rating of the film The State of Things

This is an interesting document on the stress of making films that feels like Beware of a Holy Whore meets Contempt. Wenders presents a very delicately harsh film here.

10. Juliana Senra's rating of the film The State of Things

Imagine if people were ducks!

11. Joana China's rating of the film The State of Things

A life without stories isn't worth living.

12. Luca Angelini's rating of the film The State of Things

13. FISCHER's rating of the film The State of Things

Tourné durant l'arrêt de tournage temporaire de "Hammett", une oeuvre excellente, d'un large foisonnement thématique, superbement réalisé, à une époque où Wim Wenders avait encore bien des choses à nous dire... www.cinefiches.com

14. bryanvmh's rating of the film The State of Things

"What else did I have? Oh yeah, cancer..."

15. aconeyisland's rating of the film The State of Things

stories only exist in stories / whereas life goes without the need to turn into stories

16. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film The State of Things

PRECIOSO WENDERS A ADORAR A COSTA

17. Marta Donati's rating of the film The State of Things

(4.5) Absolute gem of a film stemming from a moment of crisis, which makes it even more meaningful and moving. It revolves around the tragedy of waiting, it materialises the feeling of being stuck, the disillusion with stories and the honesty of storytellers. The ending is chilling, yet subtle and disturbingly symbolic. watch it plz you will not regret it.

18. Mihai Cristea's rating of the film The State of Things

19. josé neves's rating of the film The State of Things

Cinematography by Martin Schäfer, Henri Alekan and Fred Murphy.

20. Lightintodark's rating of the film The State of Things

"Cinema is not about life going by"

21. Pere Pete's rating of the film The State of Things

does someone know the band's name, which has recorded the song which we can hear in the carscene when Friedrich arrives in Los Angeles? (think there is also a 2nd song of this band in the movie and the title's name is maybe "LA") if someone owns this movie, please help me with this

22. Vicky Portauger's rating of the film The State of Things

When I began to watch it, I thought it would be a deception because veen though it was good, it didn't seem very special but the end definitely makes it a wonderful work of art !