1. Jason's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

I am not going to pretend that part of the main appeal of THE STENDHAL SYNDROME (as with much of Argento, but magnified) involves a somewhat prurient sort of titillation. I for one am not above such pleasures, so long as they are tuned just right. But this is also a powerful film about art and rape, respectively, and in dialogue. As such it becomes about trauma and the dissolution not only of identity but of reality.

2. nessa's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

i can watch asia all day, this was quite pretty

3. iva's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

Offensive and just generally awful though I live for Asia Argento in this...

4. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

5. _OOO_'s rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

inceste de citron / lemon incest / je t'aime t'aime, je t'aime plus que tout / papapappa

6. FISCHER's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

Grosses ficelles et petit intérêt, pour un scénario fort prévisible... www.cinefiches.com

7. Diego Ruscitto's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

8. msmichel's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

The first 2/3 is classic Argento ranking amongst his best while the final third nearly ruins it until its final trick. Dario's output since the 80's has been mediocre at best but this reps the best of those films. Asia Argento puts her soul into her portrayal with a performance that is both brave and crazy. Score by Morricone is magnificent as is the cinematography of Rotunno. Well worth another look.

9. the_mentaculus's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

Argento's surprisingly masterful use of crosscutting and serious ellipses actually touches on something unique and profound, here - about how a tormented individual experiences the world. It may also be protofeminist, with a much more convincing and frightening subtext to Afterrape than, say, I Spit On Your Grave. Will get better with repeat viewings and an open mind.

10. T34's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

This film made me sick a few times...

11. Siaudebert's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

Because I love Asia so much, and she plays perfectly the twisted girl ! Although the aesthetic is interesting, I think the two parts of the plot are not enough connected.

12. Howard Orr's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

Stylish upping-the-ante of "Opera"'s pervy tie-me-up-and-watch-me, and with moments of tension (plus it has Caravaggio and Rembrandt!), but the pacing is extremely poor, the CGI is hugely unwelcome, and Asia Argento lacks the gravitas (and age) to play a top police official.

13. mondenka's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

◉riba koja napastuje asiu jako liči na sergea gainsbourga◉

14. AdrianM.'s rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

As I really hoped this would be that one good Dario Argento film from the post-Opera period it only proved to be that one film in which Asia improved her English :D

15. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

Could have been so much better, such a shame. The special effects were so awkward and really didn't need to be in the film EDITED Gave it another watch and actually liked it a lot better this time. Special effects are still silly

16. rulesofachia's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

Underrated psychological thriller. It's in my opinion, Argento's last great film and bit (just a bit) better than Opera. Asia gives an emotional performance and Thomas Kretschmann is convincingly terrifying. The cinematography is actually quite striking and uses the locations well. I love the opening sequence!

17. soaptree's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

I was quite impressed with Asia's performance... I agree she is too young for the role but her portrayal makes up for it. I agree with Daniel, the dungeony back streets of Rome are used really effectively to compliment what Asia's character is going through. Good flick.

18. nargs_au's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

haven't seen this yet but heard its the first italian film to use cgi. even more keen to watch this now

19. CAMERACCIO's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

20. Sonosoloio's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

21. Joshua's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

Put off watching this because most of Argento's post-80s stuff has been... let's just say it hasn't been up to par. The opening scene in the museum is fantastic though, and had me expecting an unsung masterpiece. Oh but how we fall. Better than Trauma, and most of what came after (Non ho sonno, 2001, being an exception) but not without its many faults. Like many recent Dario films, bloated and rough. Durable.

22. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

Not as good as the old stuff, but Asia Argento as a schizophrenic makes your day.

23. Scout Tafoya's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome

Can anyone confirm if this works better in Italian? The dubbing makes me fuckin' angry.

24. Les films du miroir magique's rating of the film The Stendhal Syndrome