1. FISCHER's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

Une oeuvre maîtresse du grand Sacha Guitry qui mérite une prompte rediffusion... www.cinefiches.com

2. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

3. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

It's as if literature and film shared a sense of playfulness, like a grandmother and her granddaughter playing and having fun together.

4. Edna Sweetlove's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

What a very weird little film. Was most of it filmed as a silent?

5. Log Lady's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

Not particularly impressed. I have nothing against narration, but here it constantly told everything that the viewer was seeing. The execution of the whole film was a bit flimsy, and overall there was a lot that seemed redundant.

6. Cole Caudle's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

I had a decidedly mixed reaction. I can see why Truffaut would have loved this film. I thought the script was droll and extremely witty. And the camera work has moments of real joie de vivre. But I felt the whole technique of constant narration was kind of suffocating. It was hard to become really involved when what we're seeing is exactly what the narrator is describing. "Never use two violins, when one is enough."

7. StellaWasaDiver's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

Proto-New Wave, with narrated credits, incorporated stock footage, and some unconventional camera work. The lone-voice narration took some getting used to, but I don't think I'd have enjoyed the film much otherwise. It kinda felt like a silent film, watching the actors do their thing without actually hearing them. Favorite Guitry film so far.

8. RITA's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

Oh boy I want to watch this film so badly!

9. Steve Burwell's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

In this light, witty comedy a retired scoundrel recounts the story of his misspent, but highly amusing and adventurous, life. Except for a few scenes with synchronized sound, the movie is silent with voice-over narration by central character, "the cheat", played by the film's writer/director. A thoroughly enjoyable film, very similar in theme and tone to another movie I love, Ernst Lubitsch's "Trouble in Paradise".

10. Echydo's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

11. a Smith's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

Very, very interesting choices. Could be contemporary except that it is too playful and/or not depressing enough to fit with most modern films that experiment as this on does.

12. chanandre's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat

[Cinémathèque PT #534: 35 mm] (2007)

13. Ally the Manic Listmaker's rating of the film The Story of a Cheat