1. paxy's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

2. Ricardo Branco's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

3. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

I agree that it maybe wasn't such a great idea to highlight Baz Luhrmann as much as Mark Cousins does, but this is such a valuable resource for getting a taste of foreign directors and foreign films, as well as essential films situated in different periods. Annoying though his cadence as a narrative might be, I would definitely recommend this to burgeoning film fans looking to open up their perspective about cinema.

4. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

La storia del cinema in 16 pillole, dalla sua nascita ad oggi, in tutte le sue sfumature, dalla patinata scena hollywoodiana, al cinema d'essay europeo. Una chicca imperdibile per chi ama la settima arte.

5. Zach Nabors's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

For all of Cousins' hits and misses the most significant element of this epic documentary is its mere existence.

6. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

Terrible voice I mean work on it, man. Otherwise pretty informative.

7. Slow Immersion [Joe]'s rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

Nice idea, but focused on too many uninteresting directors that I lost interest in this one. I also had to laugh when he classed Ozu as probably the greatest director ever, &Hitchcock as the most important visually (the two most overrated filmmakers to exist) . Doesn't even really touch on experimental film, and I would suggest everyone to watch the best TV series on film ever made: Screening Room by Robert Gardener.

8. Shoham L's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

This is absolutely brilliant. Provides wonderful insights into the creation of film, what films mean, and why we make them.

9. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

This epic film saved me 3 years of film studies.

10. Renton47's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

2nd run through to show my girlfriend and I just adore this series. Riveting, educational and exceptionally researched. Why bother with what you think was omitted when you get 15 hours of insight into films rarely recognised by Western film-buffs? Also I love Cousins' narration and even have affection for the extremely lame amateur footage interspersed throughout the clips.

11. John Matrix's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

Great doc that fueled my early passion for film. Admirably, Cousins refuses to rehash the conventional historical narrative of cinema. He balances his presentation with films that have objective, historic importance (lending his commentary academic credibility) & movies that hold more personal significance (contributing vital life & individuality to the project).

12. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

i really enjoyed watching this, mark cousins has a really lovely voice. the downside to it is that it's basically just his own movie taste and he seems to rag a lot on american cinema which annoyed me. also he spoiled the ending of Performance for me which I was really excited to watch..

13. HSBilly's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

after a long long weeks, finally finished this 15 hour long informative pieces of cinema's journey. it feels like i'm travelling through times of cinema, CHILLING. but it missing some directors, like jean pierre melville, and masaki kobayashi.

14. muh.'s rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

a really wonderful cut through more than hundred years of movie history.

15. Vincent T's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

would probably be two stars if I had finished the second half.

16. smndvdcl's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

Forget the naysayers, what a wonderful accent! This 915 minute video essay monolith is full of insight and epiphany. Whilst sporadically subjective (but then so were Godard and Scorsese's film histories), it is indispensable in its encyclopaedic knowledge and articulate take on key cinematic progressions. At the very least, a Ph.D standard obfuscation, at the most, one of the great documentaries. Outstanding.

17. Mtume Gant's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

You have to respect the scope of this if anything. Misses a few things and sometimes highlights a few folks that make you go really? But on the flip side Cousins gets a whole lot of it, if not the majority of whats important to start with in cinema

18. Tom Cottey's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

I could watch this over and over again (and probably will.)

19. Rachel Tyler's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

It's impossible to relay the 100+ year history of cinema in such a short amount of time, but Mark Cousins does a pretty damn fine job. Beware: it's the story of FILM, not the story of PLOT.

20. courtneylesueur's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

Such an enjoyable and informative journey through film.

21. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

This truly was an odyssey, and a great and enjoyable one at that! Required viewing for all people considering studying filmmaking or film history!

22. Eleanor Abernathy's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

probably the best documentary on film EVAH

23. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

Unfortunately Cousins' story of film covers Ozu and Murnau as well as a Bollywood knock-off of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and, most damningly, Baz Luhrmann. Fine to shine a light on "Third World" cinema and even spend a whole episode on post-2000 (though I wouldn't), but there are so many weird assertions here that leave one wondering if the man has any standards at all. Not entirely worthless, just not worth much.

24. amanda wild's rating of the film The Story of Film: An Odyssey

I sat through about 10 hours of episodes in Boston's museum of fine arts and emerged with so much excitement and pleasure it was like the stirrings of new love

← Previous 1 3 4