1. Marcelo Fornari's rating of the film The Story of Temple Drake

2. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Story of Temple Drake

***1/2. Based on William Faulkner's 'Sanctuary'. There are a lot of good things in this film like the couple Hopkins / La Rue, the walk in the woods or the retarded teen - and some a bit dated like the fiancé and the grandfather. A curiosity. Recommended.

3. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Story of Temple Drake

Stellar little film. Not only was it completely unsettling at times, but the camerawork reminded me at times of Fritz Lang's film Fury, particularly the closeups of the faces during the jail fire in that film. My only complaint is its a bit short! No wonder the Code was shortly after strictly enforced and this received a condemned rating by the catholic decency group. Highly recommended. TCM shows a pretty good print

4. Lori Crockett's rating of the film The Story of Temple Drake

Thank you, Ruby Stevens, for posting the link. I have always wanted to see this. Many thanks!

5. Holyphool's rating of the film The Story of Temple Drake

Thanks to TCM and a beautiful, sparkling print, this unsettling, violent tale from William Faulkner of a young, not so innocent southern belle trapped in a decaying bootleg mansion with a bunch of violent drunken no-hopers, is a revelation. Miriam Hopkins delivers one of the great, sympathetic screen performances ever, and Jack la Rue as the thug who rapes her, is also extremely unsettling. Restoration Criterion plz!

6. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film The Story of Temple Drake

It's a morality tale. That being said, this Pre-Code film slices and dices the formula of such potential tearjerkers--dissecting the psychology of a unique cinematic party girl. Within the aftermath of lethal and sexual violence, polarized reactions occur within Temple's already deep self-loathing, forcing Stockholm Syndrome-like efforts at self-protection. It's not Faulkner, but it's torrid, sexy and thoughtful.

7. Yuki Aditya's rating of the film The Story of Temple Drake

wow...I never see a woman got slapped in other films made in the 1930s...

8. Joseph Judge's rating of the film The Story of Temple Drake

One of the most visually stunning films I've seen in quite some time. Didn't quite expect THAT.

9. MarcH's rating of the film The Story of Temple Drake

Between this and DR JEKYLL & MR HYDE, I think you could make the case that Miriam Hopkins is the most underrated actress in history. This nightmarish movie needs to be on DVD. Criterion, get on this!