1. maksym hruszczenko's rating of the film The Stranger

I definitely need to reread the novel.

2. eleventries's rating of the film The Stranger

3. FISCHER's rating of the film The Stranger

Gageure totalement ratée qui mérite un oubli radical, voire un mépris narquois... www.cinefiches.com

4. Balthaz21's rating of the film The Stranger

5. Luis Meza's rating of the film The Stranger

6. Renton47's rating of the film The Stranger

I don't think there is anything cinematic about Camus' novel and this film misses the mark for me in a few major ways. Mastroianni is too sly and knowing in the role, and the whole construct has him recounting in languid detail the lead-up to an event that was enacted by someone with indifference to their actions. The court/circus scene diverts the story into a different film about public accountability.

7. Santropez's rating of the film The Stranger

Man in prison tells judge his case is so simple he won't need a lawyer. The Stranger features the harshest depiction of mourn I've seen. Lead role Arthur Meursault flawlessly ignores his own emotions, yet is not sure he knows what happiness means. The script is philosophically very dense and not a single question is raised but not pursued. First-rate material by Visconti, maybe not best to watch under the influence.

8. h's rating of the film The Stranger

bon bah c'est l'étranger de camus, donc déjà t'en ressors et t'as des tas de trucs à réfléchir. en plus c'est mastroianni filmé par visconti, (parait qu'il aimait bien les garçons lui aussi - je le comprends) donc c'est joli à regarder. et puis c'est alger, et puis les acteurs sont bons, et puis la scène de fin est absolument fantastique. par contre prévoir une bouteille de flotte pasqu'on sue pendant tout le film.

9. Helder Costa's rating of the film The Stranger

In a time that book adaptations don’t go any further than Harry Potter and Fifty Shades of Grey, those of us who had the privilege of reading Camus should also be thankfull for the privilege of having this existential masterpiece brought to cinema by a true master.

10. Ramona Arsene's rating of the film The Stranger

Visconti got the best out of Mastroianni with White Nights.

11. Ricardo Branco's rating of the film The Stranger

12. Mellow Dude's rating of the film The Stranger

that last solitary gets me everytime.

13. Clarissa's rating of the film The Stranger

I read the novel and I am dying to watch the movie version of it..

14. bugz's rating of the film The Stranger

In the book, Camus brilliantly points Mersault's inner state of mind related to external events with details which only literature can sustain. This cinematic study involves the exterior look upon the existential condition of the character. If you accept this you will find a top achievement by Visconti with high fidelity for dramatic tension,flashy rhythm,colours,locations and a touch: Anna Karina's beauty for Marie

15. Jaspar Lamar Crabb's rating of the film The Stranger

Where can one find this movie??

16. CafeGradiva's rating of the film The Stranger

17. Mai Ragab El-Refa'ey's rating of the film The Stranger

Even though I did not find this film artistically interesting, it remains true to the book, unlike many films based on books. Almost everything in the book is there, and that happens to be the best bit about it. Second best bit is Anna Karina, and how well she portrays the role of the playful, care-free Marie.

18. Egi Primayogha's rating of the film The Stranger

The self is the only reality, society is meaningless. Is that so Monsieur Mersault?

19. Rman's rating of the film The Stranger

It`s a poor adaptation of a great novel which has been written by Albert Camus, I guess that the director misunderstood the novel, unfortunately. In addition, casting is not appropriate, specially Anna Karina as Marie Cardona.

20. T. J. Harman's rating of the film The Stranger

I agree with the commenter below that this is one of the best adaptations of a book I know. This criminally underrated Visconti film graps you whethor you've read Camus or not. This is one of Mastroainna's best performances and everything was perfect. I wish someone would remaster this and give it a proper rerelease.

21. pillo's rating of the film The Stranger

love Camus (and Visconti)

22. chanandre's rating of the film The Stranger

[Cinémathèque PT #: 35 mm] (2010)