1. nematomaranka's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

the most black and white movie

2. Mr. Dude_o_o's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

"What do you fill your days with?" Are we enslaved by time and space? What the Ancient Greeks understood by "Happiness" was different. For them a stable life is happy life. As it was told in the film "infinity" is a frightening thing for them.

3. Trinankur Banerjee's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

Unlike Kubrick, Zanussi develops objective vision not as an obsession, but like a science. In his films, the POV shot is replaced by the science of objective vision, where the camera confronts each image of information in an objective manner. It appears with the rigor of a physical law, which only foregrounds that Zanussi is a scientist first, an aesthete later.

4. Peregrine's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

A very balanced & calm film. Easy on the eye, soothing for the mind. Full of snow and humanity. If radically different people would just throw snowballs at each other, the world would be... Slide on the ice, chase, sing & dance. Meet again, in summertime. Hug in the end

5. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

How often do we see a movie about scientists who are neither famous nor crazy? That alone makes this worthwhile. Unspooling like a starker, less talky version of a Rohmer film, Zanussi shrouds his characters in the loneliness of rural Polish snowscapes; a perfect precipice for the characters' push and pull between the drive for human achievement and the embrace of insignificance. Definitely down to watch more Zanussi

6. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

Much better than I've expected. Loved the black-and-white pictures, excellent music (used to highlight lack of understanding between main characters?) and fascinating attempt to confront two different life philosophies.

7. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

A film that slowly reveal how two friends live in Communist and Catholic Poland. One embrace it and live content with his wife out in the country while the other long for something more and try to tempt with the city and all that it can offer. This could easily have turned into a depressing film it instead turns out to be a positive and uplifting one about loving one's own place in the universe like the crystal.

8. Leif Erikson's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

One need a goal in life. I look at you and I don't understand. What is actually your goal? - I'm trying to answer that myself and it seems to me that it will take the remaining quarter of life or more. My family is long-living.

9. William's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

The film gently explores the meaning of a life well lived and unpicks the opprobrium of communist society towards personal fulfilment. It has many memorable sequences, including a mesmerising time-lapse in which everyday household tasks are rendered into a sort of centrifugal choreography and a drive in snow through roads clogged with cows, captured from above.

10. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

A sedate, but mesmerising, look at two men who took very different paths in life and fall easily back into their friendship when they meet up again. But their similarities and comfort manage to now highlight the differences, and make them consider where they are now. Director Krzysztof Zanussi, who also co-wrote the film, has a great eye and manages to add some depth and weight to even the slighter moments.

11. Richard Tines's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

i have to admit, i almost gave up on this story of divergent friends reconnecting because of all the scientific jargon going (mostly) over my head, but sticking with it i was rewarded with a nice, understated human drama...the best scenes (to me) were the many incidents of joie de vivre and playfulness the trio shared together...not bad, not bad...

12. Algitya's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

Testing/Dissecting the very own relationship with the complexities of knowledge that not everyone could/would bother to. And these pals owned it

13. Francia Herrera's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

Cada vez que tengo el privilegio de visionar este bellísimo film sonrío un poquito más. Una forma poética de acercarnos a lo humano y sus misterios a través del reencuentro de dos amigos. ¿que significa infinito? ¿Belleza? ¿Plenitud? Este viaje no trata de responder sino de plantear un universo de re-descubrimiento para cada cual. Lo que el cine debe plantear desde su dispositivo:pluralidad e identidad.

14. Maia's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

Given our contemporary culture of noise and mental clutter, this film is particularly successful in alienating viewers from the numb motions of everyday life. For Zanussi, the banal is a source of complexity, wonder, and playfulness.

15. Hermann A. RG's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

Amazing, Zanussi told a story of different perspectives of life. The soundtrack is marvelous tho.

16. mis marg's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

super snapshot back to the era.

17. mnpanetsos's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

I didn't expect to like it that much :) I'm not the right person for minimal, silent movies but in this case, the details and expression of the characters and beautiful energy of the actors made this film really complete. Never thought Philosophy, Mathematics, Astronomy, and Physics would be used as the principal aspect of a film, loved it!

18. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

19. Miller's Crossing's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

Instead of choosing the obvious path of dramatisation and conflict, Krzysztof Zanussi lets the two visions of all characters cohabit, the conversations unfinished and space for everyone to exist. It is a miniature reflexion about the different path one can choose for his own life. There is no judgement in this movie, just a lot of love and empathy for all characters. Brilliant!

20. Diderot's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

It's a very welcome delight to have Zanussi's films made more readily available. He provides one of the essential through-lines in the trajectories of modernism that don't move through overt politicization (and therefore been undervalued by the position-mongering academics that have for too long dictated what film history looks like).

21. Infinite Artist's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

A lot in this film for a modest 75 mins. Two men start out from the same place yet take different paths. A minimalist structure with depth through a series of contrasts; science as observation v controlling nature, cultural sophistication v simple living, idealism and intellectual exploration v 'useful' thought. The film has an openness that allows the viewer to decide the preferred choices. Excellent.

22. saraismail's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

Really beautiful film, really raises the question on whether one can find satisfaction or enchantment in the banality of the everyday.

23. angeldromero's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

The real fragility of friendship. Powerful drama exploring joy, ambition and contrasting life styles. Impressive film debut.

24. Quattro's rating of the film The Structure of Crystal

Same old story 'bout life choices – and therefore about growing up, getting to know ourselves and finding purpose in what we do. Cozy vibes, and some nice touches here and there. What really sold it to me was the cinematography, though. Those whites...! The editing was kinda awkward. I have to say it didn't impress me at first, but there's a warmth in it, and a sincerity that really made it grow on me, afterwards.