1. José Neves's rating of the film The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg

35mm, rewatched. A prodigy of mise-en-scène, which, like the great filmmakers, parallels the way the Human is observed, which in Lubisch's case, as someone lucid and cynical, is simultaneously endowed with an affectionate perspective undermined by the clear notion of society's repetitive mediocrity: none can be happy because they are just puppets. But Cinema can be great, and it is, because it's a construction upon.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg

Le doigté et la maîtrise de Lubitsch ont fait de cette histoire hyper-romantique, une superbe étude sur le thème de la fragilité du bonheur et la constante présence de la mort. Entièrement reconstitué en studio par la M.G.M., le film devint rapidement un estimable succès international et pour le spectateur une rare occasion de redécouvrir la période muette de l'oeuvre d'un génial cinéaste. www.cinefiches.com

3. Terri Wise's rating of the film The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg

4. João Eça's rating of the film The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg

Lubitsch was one of the directors who better explored the classical forms of cinema. With the ellipsis we have narrative economy or sexual innuendo, with subjective shots we have deep access to character psychology, with the omniscient narration (either by metonymic shots or by independent camera movements) we have irony and distance, with visual motifs we have powerful logic associations producing a closed meaning.

5. Owen Sound's rating of the film The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg

Shearer has never been more radiant. Novarro is easy to fall in love with.

6. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg

Unexpected ending. for me, between Roman Holiday and The Swan. Lubitsch's best before "The Corner".

7. Adam Suraf's rating of the film The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg

1927, the greatest year of the silent era, with this bittersweet Lubitsch masterpiece representative of MGM classicism and aesthetic might.

8. chanandre's rating of the film The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg

[Cinémathèque PT #439: 35 mm] (2007)