1. Mirela Dudaş's rating of the film The Swimmer

2. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Swimmer

I'd sure like to know whether our beloved joggers have all seen this film. They could at last understand that there's a lot to discover about the world and themselves if only they could throw their earphones away. Masterpiece.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film The Swimmer

l'oeuvre traîne en filigrane et discrétion, une puissante dose de méchanceté et de désespérance qui, au fil de la projection, s'en vient en insistance et en puissance, nous toucher et nous étouffer, presque définitivement ... www.cinefiches.com

4. msmichel's rating of the film The Swimmer

John Cheever short story is turned into this over-baked, under written Burt Lancaster vanity project. Praised in some circles as being indicative of the rotting of the American dream instead of a portrait of a delusional broken man that sometimes comes off as downright creepy (the babysitter, the young boy). Worse of all the extremely awful score by Marvin Hamlisch that is as subtle as glass breaking.

5. Roland Nicolai Fanega's rating of the film The Swimmer

One of my favorite short stories adapted to film

6. Gabriele Mariotti's rating of the film The Swimmer

Burt Lancaster go to a transition from the finest summer day to the heaviest rain, showing the whole spectrum of high class society in America.

7. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film The Swimmer

8. Absentia's rating of the film The Swimmer

4.5 A stunning masterpiece

9. Nathan's rating of the film The Swimmer

Not watched on Mubi - Review pending

10. andrew's rating of the film The Swimmer

60s gem. Were men really like this 50 years ago?!

11. Droog811's rating of the film The Swimmer

I liked this...although it had some awful music and some incredibly dated scenes and camerawork. Burt Lancaster is great as Ned, the neighbor everyone loves, who goes on a one day journey of swimming from one neighbor's pool to another and eventually all the way home. At the beginning everything seems perfect but slowly you begin to see the cracks in his facade.

12. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Swimmer

Found a VHS tape of this for 99 cents. I applaud it's bravery.

13. ruzica's rating of the film The Swimmer

Fantastic and unforgettable. Hopefully I'll get to read John Cheever's story sometime soon.

14. Muraki's rating of the film The Swimmer

15. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film The Swimmer

Over-rated. Over-loaded. Ridiculous. It is so obvious that a 53 y/o Burt Lancaster can not and does not fit into the character of Ned Merrill. I regretfully, as a Lancaster fan, have to state this. Awful music. This is also a Frank Perry-Sydney Pollack fiasco. I can't believe it that people like this. Who is nuts?

16. Jugu Abraham's rating of the film The Swimmer

When we like a film we often say the film had a great story. Here is a film with a smashing screenplay that embellished the original story to make it even better than the original tale. It is an ideal example of the power of good creative screenplaywriting. My reasons are at http://moviessansfrontiers.blogspot.in/2015/11/186-us-directors-frank-perrys-and.html

17. johnfbarry71's rating of the film The Swimmer

brilliant and brilliantly odd, nostalgia and memories and a life collapsed told in one sunny lovely day. Like Don Draper's ghost of christmas future in one film.

18. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Swimmer

Sad man fails at self-mythologisation while maintaining inappropriate boundaries with old flames. Drawing out a tone of elegiac nostalgia for an hour-and-a-half strikes me as a little morbid. Interesting to see remnants of the babysitter storyline from Cheever's 'The Country Husband' repurposed for 'The Swimmer'. Lancaster sparkly and weathered and reminded me of Russell Mael for some reason.

19. UnbrandedFilms's rating of the film The Swimmer

Swimming in a pool will never be the same again.

20. janh24's rating of the film The Swimmer

Elliptical and disturbing.

21. slow pulse girl's rating of the film The Swimmer

hazy dreams in a suburban nightmare

22. matt pelly's rating of the film The Swimmer

Surreal, hypnotic and thoughtful exploration of the American Dream turned Nightmare

23. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Swimmer

A chlorine-rich atonement therapy, unlike any you have ever seen!

24. Nikola Enchev's rating of the film The Swimmer

A strange tale of regret and loneliness. I've been asking myself recently, "what is the cure for nostalgia?" and my answer has been "more memories"... but if that is true, will I also have to swim across the pools of Connecticut to atone for my sins?

← Previous 1 3 4