1. Ethan's rating of the film The Taking of Power by Louis XIV

This is a brilliant and intimate work of art that deals with history in a documentary like manner instead of tacking on a bunch of useless melodrama. Roberto Rossellini truly did reinvent the language of cinema.

2. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Taking of Power by Louis XIV

A rather fusty tableau of court routines and procedures. It's enlivened somewhat by an occasional dry humour, otherwise political skulduggery simply expounded.

3. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The Taking of Power by Louis XIV

4. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The Taking of Power by Louis XIV

I remember the weight of obsessive finery, dragging the courtiers down-- they bow and can barely raise their heads again.

5. polkasan's rating of the film The Taking of Power by Louis XIV

Stood as a reference for Kubrick when he made Barry Lyndon.

6. Francisco R.'s rating of the film The Taking of Power by Louis XIV

It's important to notice how instructional the film's exposition is to understand the essence of monarchic principles, while at the same time finding an opportunity to improve the made-for-TV standards to exquisite, then unseen levels of narrative and formal sophistication. This is a full meal.

7. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film The Taking of Power by Louis XIV

One of the most intimate portraits of history and politics I have ever seen- Rossellini was truly a one of a kind filmmaker!

8. Joel's rating of the film The Taking of Power by Louis XIV

Rather cold and precise. It is ambitiously and perhaps commendably exactly what it is but I found it really difficult to engross myself in and lacked some of the brilliance that has made Rossellini one of my favourite directors.

9. Cheila Sousa's rating of the film The Taking of Power by Louis XIV

10. dBainy's rating of the film The Taking of Power by Louis XIV

this is a no nonsense film. it is so real that it is boring; conviction = 10 out of 10.