1. Renton47's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

It might be a slight dig at the self-seriousness of poets and their muses, or at least I hope with an ending more comic than tragic. Or it could just be a vivid conception of fantasy, a resplendent display of colour and design, tangible proof of cinema's aura. Happy to foot the bridge between opera and I, and I have a lot of narrative problems I will dismiss for a work of such imagination.

2. Viginti_tres's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Visually sumptous and full of inventive technically astounding tricks, but boy, I didn't care for anything that came out of the characters mouths. The bizarro nature of the stories and the schizo tone got me through what were otherwise interminable numbers.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Prix Spécial du Jury à Cannes, Prix de la Commission Supérieure Technique et Ours d'Argent à Berlin (1951), cette oeuvre fastueuse reste un monument incontournable dans l'histoire du cinéma, un véritable chef-d'oeuvre d'intelligence et de beauté, d'une finesse et d'une sensualité extrêmes, un vrai raffinement de l'esprit qui délivre, éblouissant et inoubliable, un enchantement permanent et durable. www.cinefiches.com

4. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

5. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

6. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Superb new 4k DVD. A little bit outdated but nice colours. Recommended.

7. janh24's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

A deeply strange and yet beguiling treat.

8. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

The parts themselves are nice, just didnt really come together for me as a whole. Still, beautifully shot, so adding an extra star

9. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

10. tom.house's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

I think I'm of kind of developing a crush on Moira Shearer. Great film, so magical and entrancing.

11. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

What magic Powell and Pressburger harnessed with The Red Shoes, they seemed to have lost here.

12. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

5/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-1Uf

13. Rocco's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Lovely to look at and difficult to sit through or understand. But man oh man, Moira Shearer and Ludmilla Tcherina are astounding.

14. El Biffo's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Beautiful new 4K restoration :-)

15. Roscoe's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Overstuffed and overlong -- the vivid excitement of the 20 minute Red Shoes Ballet is here dulled into archness, the charm wears off in a hurry. Helpmann, Massine and others manage some fine moments, but poor Robert Rounseville sings like an angel and acts like Keanu. It's all been done better elsewhere -- check out Bergman's film of THE MAGIC FLUTE, which doesn't sink under the weight of all that gimmickry.

16. Elena Lazic's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

17. cineaste's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

First impression: Color, cinematograpy, art direction, costumes, make-up and choreography are all at a high standard. I've yet to become a devotee of opera myself, plus it seemed to me that most of the onscreen performers were lip-synching. However, while short on most of the qualities possessed by the Archers' production while nevertheless a filmed opera itself, why am a big fan of Majewski's "The Roe's Room"?

18. Joel's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

My first really expressive of opera as an adult and coming into this film looking for the powell and pressburger traits certainly helped. The visuals are a feast for the senses. There was some narrative confusion induced by the episodic nature of the tale (s) it seemed almost as if the separate stories where squeezed rather loosely under one arc. Also, Must all dialogue be sung? I am still open but not won over.

19. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

A beautiful, but over-embrodied, patchwork which does not make a convincing whole. It appears the intoxicating success of The Red Shoes has gone to the filmmakers' heads with too many delights stitched in this strangest of entertainments.

20. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

I guess I have to say I'm not one to judge this film, as opera is an art form I have yet to understand or appreciate - and this film is not much more than a filmed opera. As bizarre and phantasmagoric as the imagery is, it really isn't enough to sit through two and a half hours for. If you can appreciate opera, it might be for you, but it doesn't really work as a film, even for fans of director Michael Powell.