1. clairewitchproject's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

No movie has inspired this much giddy joy in me since first watching Fantasia as a small child

2. Walker's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

This is the Archer's at their peak. I loved it! Had to pause several times to marvel at the fantastic imagery

3. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

A pure spectacle to be sure, but I'm not sure this gains anything from being a film instead of just a stage show. Worth it for the grandiose Powell/Pressburger staging? Yeah, I'd say so, but I think I'm alright now.

4. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Undeniably unique and suffused with great craftsmanship in all areas of musical theater transformed to film. Although Jacques Offenbach isn't my favorite composer, and the operatic acting may seem strange to those expecting something from narrative movies, I can't deny it's a consummate production of dance/music/design in all its fantastical abundance. Powell and Pressburger aim very high and attain success.

5. Emily O's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

**could not understand a word! no!! could not understand a word***

6. jennyt's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

7. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Gorgeous and grandiose... as opera usually is. Masterfully shot in beautiful technicolor, it's extremely well choreographed and blocked out for the camera. It's fun and quite beautiful. Lovely performance and fantastical in nature. Very cool theatrical endeavor. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Keep in mind that this a theatrical piece and not a "movie." However, it's a delightful translation of opera to the screen.

8. cin-e-phile22's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Beautiful if you watch it without any volume. Or if you use compositions by other musicians from the baroque/classic/romantic school. It's a waste watching it on a laptop or television screen, completely reduces the lush visuals to an inferior product. But then again, who gives a shit.

9. Stefan Drees's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Powell's and Pressburger's attempt to recreate the fantastical worlds of "Les contes d'Hoffmann" with the help of film effects is a clever move. A real achievement of the film is the projection of the narration into unrealistic and colourful spaces that underline the artificiality of the whole settings. Although some things appear a little oldfashioned today, the Olympia episode is a real highlight of filmed opera.

10. Renton47's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

It might be a slight dig at the self-seriousness of poets and their muses, or at least I hope with an ending more comic than tragic. Or it could just be a vivid conception of fantasy, a resplendent display of colour and design, tangible proof of cinema's aura. Happy to foot the bridge between opera and I, and I have a lot of narrative problems I will dismiss for a work of such imagination.

11. Viginti_tres's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Visually sumptous and full of inventive technically astounding tricks, but boy, I didn't care for anything that came out of the characters mouths. The bizarro nature of the stories and the schizo tone got me through what were otherwise interminable numbers.

12. FISCHER's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Prix Spécial du Jury à Cannes, Prix de la Commission Supérieure Technique et Ours d'Argent à Berlin (1951), cette oeuvre fastueuse reste un monument incontournable dans l'histoire du cinéma, un véritable chef-d'oeuvre d'intelligence et de beauté, d'une finesse et d'une sensualité extrêmes, un vrai raffinement de l'esprit qui délivre, éblouissant et inoubliable, un enchantement permanent et durable. www.cinefiches.com

13. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

14. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

15. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Superb new 4k DVD. A little bit outdated but nice colours. Recommended.

16. janh24's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

A deeply strange and yet beguiling treat.

17. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

The parts themselves are nice, just didnt really come together for me as a whole. Still, beautifully shot, so adding an extra star

18. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

19. tom.house's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

I think I'm of kind of developing a crush on Moira Shearer. Great film, so magical and entrancing.

20. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

What magic Powell and Pressburger harnessed with The Red Shoes, they seemed to have lost here.

21. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

5/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-1Uf

22. Rocco's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Lovely to look at and difficult to sit through or understand. But man oh man, Moira Shearer and Ludmilla Tcherina are astounding.

23. El Biffo's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Beautiful new 4K restoration :-)

24. Roscoe's rating of the film The Tales of Hoffmann

Overstuffed and overlong -- the vivid excitement of the 20 minute Red Shoes Ballet is here dulled into archness, the charm wears off in a hurry. Helpmann, Massine and others manage some fine moments, but poor Robert Rounseville sings like an angel and acts like Keanu. It's all been done better elsewhere -- check out Bergman's film of THE MAGIC FLUTE, which doesn't sink under the weight of all that gimmickry.