1. astygianelysium's rating of the film The Tempest

a great date movie, cause there's always something going on visually (even if it's cheesed out), and you can always tune back into Shakespeare's dialogue, but nothing about the film forces you to commit to it, so you can divide your attention guiltlessly

2. L. Nolan's rating of the film The Tempest

Overwrought and laden by star cameos

3. Caillouquiroule's rating of the film The Tempest

Un film épuisant. Taymor avait pourtant réussi précédemment une adaptation de Shakespeare, Titus, avec un même univers visuel. Ça hurle en permanence, c'est assez moche.

4. Greg's rating of the film The Tempest

Ah Julie Taymor. Such a talented visualist, and you always elicit fine performances. But your movies just aren't compelling.

5. Smokey Ling's rating of the film The Tempest

Titus was fantastic, can't wait to see this!!

6. Seth Farmer's rating of the film The Tempest

I always liked The Tempest. I may see this.

7. AAC's rating of the film The Tempest

Honestly Julie Taymor? I've been waiting for 2 yrs, and 3 months before the release, you still haven't cut a trailer? C'mon now

8. Tonda's rating of the film The Tempest

Certainly not "Atrocious", but Titus this is not.

9. Daniel Roque's rating of the film The Tempest

The awkward performances and the astonishing cinematography should be enough to enjoying it. Sadly they don't.

10. Cbarky99's rating of the film The Tempest

An odd mix of parts that are incredibly watchable, and flourishes that fall flat---Helen Mirren does a great job, and her performance really makes the film, but some of the other actors feel like they're drowning in the cinematography, and the score (what's with those guitars?) is as erratic as the acting.

11. Nancy's rating of the film The Tempest

i was strangely fascinated by russell brand and, i have to say, it's a first.

12. Catherine Krummey's rating of the film The Tempest

Giving this a three is me being generous to a film I so wanted to love.

13. maudiniz's rating of the film The Tempest

Interesting, but it'd be better in a play.

14. Phil Worfel's rating of the film The Tempest

Really wanted to enjoy this more than I did. I find Taymor's Titus to be outstanding but here, her magic only seems to muddy the story. The performances from Mirren, Hounsou,and Wishaw for me were the standouts with the rest of the cast either only playing a single note or barely distinguishing themselves from other characters. It is certainly a watchable film but is not in the pantheon of Shakespearean adaptation.

15. Sancar Seckiner's rating of the film The Tempest

16. C.B.L.S's rating of the film The Tempest

I liked Ben Whishaw's Ariel. He was an unholy cross between an ancient dryad and a dragqueen. Russel Brand kinda ruined it for me, he shouldn't be allowed to make movies. There were some cool visuals but overall it just didn't work, it always happens in Taymor's films, she has all the right ingrediants but when she brings them together everything falls apart

17. Namita Nair's rating of the film The Tempest

I sort of get the idea of making Prospero into Prospera, and Helen Mirren is probably the only one who is even worth paying attention to, but the movie is probably the weirdest adaptations of Shakespeare I have ever seen. Just a bunch of cool effects and Russel Brand is just weird.

18. Caden Cotard's rating of the film The Tempest

Not nearly as awful as some said, it's a beautiful if sometimes indecipherable adaptation of a nearly as confusing play. Props to Helen Mirren, though. After this and RED, she could make a Saw sequel seem Oscar-worthy.

19. laurabot's rating of the film The Tempest

Curious about this one. Anyone read Aimé Césaire "A Tempest" or José Enrique Rodó essay "Ariel"?

20. Your Friend's rating of the film The Tempest

Don't mean to burst anyone's bubbles, but this film is ATROCIOUS. Saw earlier in the festival circuit. This is coming from someone who always feels Taymor deserves a second chance and really loves Titus but WOW. Had hopes it would be a return to something exciting but instead we got what is easily one of the worst films of the year.