1. PeterK94's rating of the film The Thing

Managed to pull off the same atmosphere as the 80s version without feeling redundant. The studio interference to add CGI is disappointing considering the level of detail and skill that went into the practical effects that remain; most notably the autopsy scene.

2. abyantama's rating of the film The Thing

3. Malt Frisky's rating of the film The Thing

Though I was aware of executives forcing in the horrific CGI for the monster scenes and trying to take the film as a standalone, the fact is it's just bad. With actors that looked bored, a generic music score that's complete with stinger cue jump scares there's a feeling of pleading desperation by the end, like the film at least tried to pay homage to the 82 classic with a half ass script, really! What was the point!

4. Andre Flickatina's rating of the film The Thing

the thing from '82 is one of my favorite films and i still thoroughly enjoyed this one. i thought it stood on its own merits, especially considering the tall order it was

5. ABVH's rating of the film The Thing

So, before The Thing (1982) there was another polar research station where the same thing happened as in The Thing (1982) almost beat for beat.

6. Tabikenezer von Higglesbloom's rating of the film The Thing

MEW IS THE KWEEEEN OF FEMINIST HORROR!

7. ceknklsn's rating of the film The Thing

8. lostlevel's rating of the film The Thing

It isn't terrible nor great but is ultimately rather unnecessary.

9. Muffinhead1985's rating of the film The Thing

10. Poor Margo's rating of the film The Thing

11. Gonçalo Rosas's rating of the film The Thing

(Generous) 3 - While I don't doubt that Mr. Heijningen is the huge fan of the original "The Thing" that he proclaims himself to be, I am also fairly certain that he doesn't have a full grasp on what makes its premise work. Gone is the visual ingenuity and immaculate staging, the characterization, the pacing, the creature's subterfuge and even its physiological coherence. This prequel is a pale imitation.

12. Federico Di Folco's rating of the film The Thing

13. yigitpinarbasi's rating of the film The Thing

14. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film The Thing

15. Malcolm Tent's rating of the film The Thing

The most unrealistic part of the new The Thing was that the British guy didn't have any fillings.

16. Arctic Alamut's rating of the film The Thing

I can't think of a better visualization of the Other, than the Thing of this saga. What better location for the Thing to resurrect than the Antarctic blizzards? Lovecraft would have loved it.

17. pilgrim's rating of the film The Thing

It does a pretty good job. Doesn't deserve the negative reactions it received upon release. I enjoyed it

18. hastapura's rating of the film The Thing

I understand that this is a prequel, but it looks straight-up the same. I like Edgerton but can "Sam Carter" (of Mars) stack up against fucking MacReady?

19. msmichel's rating of the film The Thing

Not bad but totally unnecessary prequel to Carpenter's 1982 horror masterpiece. Gone is the feeling of any real tension as we basically playout and often near recreate events that also take place in the orginal. Winstead wonderfully miscast though the rest of cast don't do much better. Characters appear and disappear with an especially ridiculous coda. Plot holes big enough to sleep in. Enough remakes already.

20. NoOneJones's rating of the film The Thing

Prediction: I'm going to walk into this film 24 years old and come out aged to just about 57. I don't know why I do these things to myself.

21. chad bentley's rating of the film The Thing

Sweet. Haven't been on Mubi for a while but had to get on to report. It's a good one. :)

22. Junda Mane's rating of the film The Thing

I'm a fan of Mary Elizabeth Winstead & Joel Edgerton, so this lesser remake gets by on that solely.

23. doltcrow's rating of the film The Thing

24. traag-1's rating of the film The Thing

meh. All this does is solidify the Carpenter version as a truly artistic and claustrophobic nightmare that it is. Nothing beats the REAL special effects from the 1982 film and sadly that's mostly what I was thinking while I waiting for this version to end.

← Previous 1 3 4