1. Nick's rating of the film The Third Man

Perhaps I just don't have a mind for film noir, but there just isn't anything here to keep me interested. The score's fun, but it's too wacky for this. The actors are having a good time, but it doesn't seem that they care about the product. I know I'm in the minority here, but it's a thumbs down from me.

2. BenNash's rating of the film The Third Man

Apart from Scott Barley and Terence Davies, this is the last great British film.

3. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Third Man

It's lucky that Selznick was involved, or we might have had Cary Grant instead of Joseph Cotten. Joseph Cotten was underused and under-appreciated. Apparently, Orson Welles was a bit of trouble on the set of this film. He did an excellent job of being enigmatic and sociopathic as Harry Lime. He was rumored to have written all his own dialogue, and directing his scenes. Look for the Dutch angles.

4. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film The Third Man

5. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film The Third Man

6. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Third Man

A perfect barbed gem of a film. Manages to use hella canted angles without ever feeling "wacky". Welles' Harry Lime perfectly captures what Werner Herzog would later refer to as 'the bliss of evil'. For me Reed's direction (as also in 'The Fallen Idol') counters Greene's dryness and allows one to appreciate the unbearable lightness as well as the moral seriousness of his work.

7. tri ...'s rating of the film The Third Man

the dead are happier dead

8. Samuel T.'s rating of the film The Third Man

16mm. Re-watch (for the first time in 10 years almost exactly). This film takes itself so seriously, and at times is so quirky! That score! That cinematography!!! (I just learned about "the Dutch angle" tonight, oops.) Orson steals the show the second the camera hits him. A thoroughly satisfying cinematic experience.

9. Walker's rating of the film The Third Man

A classical example of cinematic perfection.

10. Balthaz21's rating of the film The Third Man

11. Mtume Gant's rating of the film The Third Man

A powerhouse of its time, from cinematic technique to Orson Welles stellar performance. 4.5

12. FISCHER's rating of the film The Third Man

Un classique du 7e Art qui reste incontournable, inamovible... www.cinefiches.com

13. Muntagnari's rating of the film The Third Man

tre. pieno. gonfio. finale da 5.

14. MistaRichard's rating of the film The Third Man

Classic noir imagery. If I had to pick a film to exemplify noir-age film grammar, this would probably be it. The performances are memorable, with a special mention to Orson Welles, who, despite appearing for only a few brief moments, is just so much fun to watch on-screen.

15. Risya's rating of the film The Third Man

16. Rodrigo's rating of the film The Third Man

I hate the musical score of this movie with passion.

17. ermete polpette's rating of the film The Third Man

18. Faustgelopoulos's rating of the film The Third Man

19. Aaron Dillenbeck's rating of the film The Third Man

The dutch angle has never looked so great. Literally everything about this movie was perfect. I declare, masterpiece. Just watch it, please?!

20. Samuel Righi's rating of the film The Third Man

21. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Third Man

22. Jack Brookes's rating of the film The Third Man

Leave death to the professionals. (But who are the professionals?)

23. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film The Third Man

I hesitate to add to the acclimation with my rating. But personally I can't rate it otherwise. The best way to approach the film for the first time is to forget everything you've read, heard, or seen about it. I'm not suggesting permanent amnesia, just to drop any preconceptions. It helps to have been to Vienna, though. And though the zither may seem exotic, it is quintessentially Austrian and integral to the film.

24. Thomas Dods's rating of the film The Third Man

One of the first "old films" that I came to appreciate, leading me to love film noir, black and white photography and of course Orson Wells. Effectively perfect when it comes to script, character and direction.