1. Warren Spratley's rating of the film The Threepenny Opera

I cannot yet sort out this narrative's gradations of social criticism--in principle, only the thoroughly socially helpless are without blame, though Pabst & the writers' cynicism questions whether such a class even exists in this kind of enterprise culture. This film seems to solve so many issues of representation & dramaturgy, of how to balance psychology & political function. Faces, gestures, music, light & shadow.

2. Rosina Rossini's rating of the film The Threepenny Opera

This film is the embodiment of the very best film artistry that the Weimar era had to offer. Expressionist theatre, music, and film! Interestingly, both Brecht and Weill tried to stop the film being made on account of the screenplay's deviance from the original stage production. In the end, even they had to be impressed with how this masterpiece came out. Powerful. Disturbing. Grimy and Beautiful!

3. Aardsy's rating of the film The Threepenny Opera

You know what M needed? Songs.

4. Isilda Castro's rating of the film The Threepenny Opera

If someone asked me to rank the music, i would say 5*,the movie is saved by Kurt Weill. But as a film, It could be better

5. Erik Gregersen's rating of the film The Threepenny Opera

Of all the Weimar films I've seen, this is the Weimariest, with a total disdain for bourgeois morality and every character looking like a Grosz drawing.

6. Erik Villasenor's rating of the film The Threepenny Opera

Oh man this film is great! The story telling is subtle and the moral implications are grand. This has some of the most memorable sequences I've had the pleasure witnessed. The movie might be a bit slow for some, but I personally enjoyed the pace of it. I can't wait to see pandora's box!

7. Arcanus's rating of the film The Threepenny Opera

Great music. Superb photography. Some terrible Germanic over-acting.

8. chanandre's rating of the film The Threepenny Opera

[Cinémathèque PT #467: 35 mm] (2007)

9. Django's rating of the film The Threepenny Opera

Not really fish nor fowl. None of Pabst's usual psychological exploration or Brecht's Epic Theater staging and virtually all of Weill's songs are missing. Not my favorite Pabst film by a long shot although I think much of the political criticism of the picture is unfounded. This is a very caustic, cynical, left leaning film with only the thinnest veneer of bourgeois romantic trappings.

10. Franklinton Underground Cinema's rating of the film The Threepenny Opera

Fascinating scene when the Queen is confronted by the faces of poverty.