1. Sirma Kurtulmaz's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

2. Ethan's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

This is a beautiful and visually stunning film that transcends the American musicals that it was inspired by to make a truly astounding work of art where even the sadness looks beautiful.

3. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

really love everything about it. it's so good that the mother isn't a grotesque character that hides the letters from the daughter and sabotages the couple. it's above that; it's real. final scene is amazing and the colours i can't even start talking about... beautiful cinema

4. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Technicolor masterpiece as it look gorgeos from beginning to end. It's really a film about young first love that has to die because it will lead you into poverty, tragedy and a miserable life and sometimes one has to make the terrible decision to find a new love that give your offspring security and happiness instead of social insecurity. The film also give a well-deserved happy ending for Roland from Demy's "Lola".

5. Ravna's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

I think that's enough Demy for me.

6. Pegarange's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

7/10. The colours, camera work, and music are great, although I think Demy's style is more fitting for the pathos and melodrama of "A Room in Town" than the more subtle "Umbrellas of Cherbourg".

7. Andreea's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

The entire film is sung! I loved it, especially the attention to details and colors (and the fashion). Bittersweet, brilliant!

8. Weregoat's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

I think that what mostly displeased me with the film was the singing, that I found quite flat (as quality, not as pitch).

9. Seesaw's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

The opera and the cinema electrifying an unfamiliar element.

10. Mahmoud Azzam's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

The way life always hits you in the face and tells you to wake up from your naïveté, face the facts and move on with your life is what this movie is reminding us about. An instant favorite even though it’s a musical but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

11. I.Camera's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

A bright, pastel-coloured wonderland of a musical, one that even dedicated musical-haters such as me can't help but like. The operatic, recitative singing never grates, as the film slowly creates its own vivid world (the influence on Wes Anderson's creations is clear) without becoming twee or ludicrous. The bittersweet ending, set in snow amid a symbol of approaching American capitalism, is both moving and beautiful.

12. Axel's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Still not a fan of musicals. That start and end though.

13. dionysus67's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Set design and costumes being an aesthetic discourse in themselves make this epic of romantic love a paragon of superlative filmmaking: the bare essentials of content distilled into the perfection of form. On top of the divine camerawork (the pan from the salon to the kitchen in the discussion around debt is beyond belief) the sheer affirmation of life makes for an indelibly moving experience. A film for eternity!

14. r u f o's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

The Unbearables of Cherbourg

15. Sára's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

When I started to watch the movie I was sure I am gonna like the ongoing singing, but very quickly I grew to like it! I give it this rating mostly for its brilliant soundtrack, outstanding choice of a color palette​ and interesting storyline!

16. Æon's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

The clash between the melancholy realism of the plot and the saccharine artificiality of the style (colors, music) creates a beautiful tension. Not a sad film, but comforting - first loves rarely last, and though the pain feels unbearable, time reveals that there is more than one way to live happily.

17. lesminho's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

18. Maria Catarina Cardoso Ferreira's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

19. RUIZ's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

J'ai adoré l'univers esthétique dans son ensemble, les couleurs, la musique...le pari fou de faire ce film ! Et Deneuve est sublime.

20. Ric O's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

the most classic french musical

21. pjmodos's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

If only for nothing it was worth to watch for the amazing wallpapers and interior decors. I loved the simplicity of the times as well. A nice watch for a cozy winter night.

22. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

It is stunning to see how La La Land copied this film. The colors, the music, even the structure. Cinema is alive in the past...

23. Pantso-for-the-win's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

hard to watch, hard to hear this overacted shallowness. Agnes Varda was so superior to this overrated director...

24. panayotis's rating of the film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg