1. Adam GR's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

Gorgeous film photography. Adrienne Shelly is a firecracker! Hal Hartley a wordsmith, an American suburban l'enfant terrible. Robert John Burke holds good weight.

2. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

I was rolling my eyes for the first few minutes, but by the time Hal Hartley's debut finished I was bawling. There is something unbelievably (ha) lovely, earnest, and smart about this late 80s indie. Life is worth living and people are worth loving even as we face nuclear annihilation and the worst of capitalism!

3. Ghostman's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

A dryly humanistic and funny feature debut by Hal Hartley.The first film I've seen by him, I must watch more. Adrienne Shelly was lovely in it RIP. A sweet and wonderful film.

4. Poor Margo's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

5. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

Amongst my all time favourites. Captures the late 1980s aesthetic so perfectly; droll and profound in equal measure. I felt the need to rewatch it in a week in which the unbelievable truth about nuclear devastation became more worrying than at any time since the 1980s with a wholly unpredictable, narcissistic madman in the White House who might see the end of the world as just another TV event.

6. FISCHER's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

Un univers singulier où évolue des personnages farfelus et chaleureux. Premier film du réalisateur de "Trust Me", une réussite où se profile déjà nettement le talent d'un cinéaste avec qui il faudra désormais compter sûrement... www.cinefiches.com

7. tintinmugshot's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

8. Brian Lancaster's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

There are very few films that come close to this one... It is the indescribable, and therefore, deserves no words, only appreciation.

9. Guillaume Guillaume's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

- Are you a priest? - No. I'm a mechanic. It has the vibe of some Jarmusch movies, especially Stranger Than Paradise. A very unique balance of funny and dramatic, stylized directing, a fantastic soundtrack. And a mesmerizing performance by Adrienne Shelly - I rewinded at least 5 scenes just to see her again, she's unforgettable.

10. Nathan Hopkins's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

The distinctive and punctuated style of its characters, in addition to its softly lit and naturalistic visual style and use of sound make this film marvelous to the senses and distinctly individual. The story unfolds in a not unpredictable way, but this is by no means a weakness. Rather, its distinctive execution and its exploration of its characters only make The Unbelievable Truth memorable.

11. klofter's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

12. Landen Celano's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

What the hell is this? For all intents and purposes, that should've been an awful film, and yet it was incredibly compelling. It's my first foray into Hartley, and would love some context on him. Can anyone comment and explain what I just experienced?

13. KDMV4's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

A turquoise ibanez strat copy guitar with turquoise lace-sensor knockoffs that_just happen_ to match our mechanics' coveralls: 10/10 for mise en scène.

14. corycorycorycory's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

It took the wrench joke at around the 1h 7m mark to make me realize the whole movie was funny all along.

15. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

Preface: I hate the 'older man' film concept. So, here's a funny, perfectly paced comedy about: what? The dark hole of the Nineteen-Eighties. My favorite movies are the one that put forth an entire sense of things, and this movie slices nicely through middle class comfort to both satirize and find the things worth loving in people, the shallow, poetic, neurotic, mysterious, beautiful.

16. LK's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

The lighting alone in this makes it worth the watch. The theatrical dialogue, moments of gentle absurdity, and frank emotions all make it compelling and evocative. Unexpected and serious love for this film.

17. Ben Loory's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

halfway between jarmusch and john hughes

18. John's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

For very sentimental reasons. Think I'll drive over to Lindenhurst this summer.

19. Mehran.E's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

I don't get what's all the fuss about. Yes it has witty dialogues, interesting characters, that fucking insane "Excuse me" scene, bombs and a lot of shoving! Nothing more. It really deserves 3.5 starts but I give it 4, since I want it to get a good rating.

20. Lauren's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

Fresh, timeless; some kind of weird intersection between Lynch and Whit Stillman.

21. Lorna Singh's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

A delight from the opening scene. Everything works-the cast of characters, clever dialogue and great directing. An original.

22. Eric Sherwood's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

23. Ebru Yörükoğlu's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

this reminds me of twin peaks a bit.

24. Rice Dream Girl's rating of the film The Unbelievable Truth

Chicken Soup for the Literary Soul. Here Hartley has created a truly amazing cast of characters, each one hilarious and wonderful to watch. Audry has gotta be the greatest movie teen ever. The subtle, lush soundtrack is perfectly effective. Fear, angst, passion, faith, all done with a unique, fabulous aesthetic.