1. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film The Vanishing

Would that I could've seen this before "calculated sociopath daylighting as banal schlub" weren't the focal point of of our trash culture. Because buddy, I'm sick to death of those stories. Even so, this movie fucking rules--Sluizer poured over the ornamental details, the editing, etc, and the tension & ambiguity are on point.

2. petit astronaute's rating of the film The Vanishing

3. kinotopia's rating of the film The Vanishing

two sociopaths: one chaotic, banal, and extroverted and the other controlled, exceedingly clever, and reserved. a gradual buildup of resentment and total absence of pity for the former and fascination for the latter that resolutely flips. terrible non-diegetic music.

4. miles's rating of the film The Vanishing

Man, what structure. So evil. Worth the wait watching this!

5. franciscotorres's rating of the film The Vanishing

The kind of movie Hitchcock or Chabrol would love to have directed. Maybe today, in a bold move ,they could have had come with this. It somehow feels like a meta-thriller. In that sense, playing with the genre itself, it would have been a fantastic ending if we wouldn't have known what had happened. Still, the actual ending is absolutely great.

6. Michael Peer's rating of the film The Vanishing

THE VANISHING deserves multiple viewings. Having seen it only once, it very well may deserve 5 stars, but for now, I'm going with my first-viewing experience. What impressed me most about Sluizer's film is it's unique structure and perspective. It's a cold, straight-forward, dark film that matches it's central subject - a sociopathic serial killer. It's a brutal film that leaves you twisted in horror and shock.

7. jason's rating of the film The Vanishing

A well structured film with a great cast. Love how they flesh out the antagonist. The score is creepy which gives the movie an air of uneasiness. Though, I have to say. It's a bit overrated no thanks to it's predictable twist that many people were raving about. Still highly recommended for those who are curious.

8. hemachandra's rating of the film The Vanishing

The Vanishing is a film with an unusual structure. The film builds suspense even while it seems to be telling us almost everything we want to know. A MASTER CLASS ON SUSPENSE.

9. Chris's rating of the film The Vanishing

wow...... *shits my pants*

10. Nolan Barth's rating of the film The Vanishing

I find it hard to put my feelings and thoughts about this film into words. I absolutely loved it! I thought it was brilliantly done and I was on the edge of my seat all the way till the credits rolled on the screen. Right from the start this is a very different type of horror film. I loved the non-linear style of storytelling. Everyone should see The Vanishing at least once in their lifetime.

11. Allison Rung's rating of the film The Vanishing

Good idea to watch if you liked Force Majeure (that wd be my double-bill) or you're into Haneke. But it's one of those movies where the villain is supposed to be devilishly smart and is in fact a complete blockhead.

12. ionosonde's rating of the film The Vanishing

incredibly intriguing and incredibly rewarding. it gave me all sorts of questions and had the kindness to follow through on all of their answers, which my curiosity loves. and the ending -- that takes a lot of guts. i was impressed. as a whole, it's shot really well -- and every now and then a really beautiful shot sneaks into it. my kind of horror film for sure. no jump scares, just tension.

13. Ghostman's rating of the film The Vanishing

Apparently Kubrick thought this was the most terrifying film he ever saw. I now understand why. An unforgettable masterpiece.

14. gld48's rating of the film The Vanishing

15. Balthaz21's rating of the film The Vanishing

16. croissant massage's rating of the film The Vanishing

The ending was good, but I still expected/wanted a lot more out of it.

17. wiwitaek's rating of the film The Vanishing

a masterpiece of the mind of sociopath master.

18. Khach Glauberrocha's rating of the film The Vanishing

19. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The Vanishing

One of the highlights of Dutch cinema. It provides tension all the way through its running time as it keeps you guessing and on your toes. Even though it the 'who dun it' was never a real question. This is a masterclass in storytelling, and by no means a slouch in the visual department.

20. kartina obskura's rating of the film The Vanishing

21. Daniele Ferrante's rating of the film The Vanishing

22. kubrickhallway's rating of the film The Vanishing

In one word: terrifying. This is also of the best films to come out of the Netherlands, and honestly one of the top horrors in all of cinema. I love when a film stays with you to the point that you think about it in seemingly random, mundane moments, and you realize just how potent they are.

23. James Mackin's rating of the film The Vanishing

Oh, this one hurt. But it hurts so good.

24. Aaron Dillenbeck's rating of the film The Vanishing

Claustrophobic and undeniably creepy. Uses very little to create alot of tension and drama. Something seemed to be missing though. Wasn't the sum of its.parts and left me bored and tired at points. Ending was simple and unnerving, bring the clausterphobia right in your face. Character development was great and the non linear narrative was done very well.

← Previous 1 3 4