1. Alex Flores's rating of the film The Vanishing

And this is how you do mystery in film.

2. Luiz Souza's rating of the film The Vanishing

expected much more due to all positive reviews here... the ending was underwhelming because the characters lacked passion. It wasn't believable for me.

3. Polónio's rating of the film The Vanishing

Its horror is delivered as if it were a delayed-release pill. It might strike you only at the last second, as it did with me. But when it does, there's no escape. Fear takes over.

4. Traum Baum's rating of the film The Vanishing

Not as much about the banality of evil as it is about the eternal chicken-and-egg dilemma of free will vs determinism.

5. HenriqueA's rating of the film The Vanishing

Though I still remembered the basic plot of the remake (that I watched as a child) the original still felt like multiple knife stabs at the heart. Though some of the motivation is ridiculous enough, Donnadieu and Bervoets totally fucking sell these two obsessed men perfectly.

6. Psycoteraphy's rating of the film The Vanishing

7. ginobartolomi's rating of the film The Vanishing

idk, I wanted so badly to take it seriously overtime I watched it...I love the idea of a man killing for the thrill of it, to see if he could get away with it, to see what it would feel like. there's just no passion involved. without any passion in something as gruesome as this story, there's no believability.

8. FISCHER's rating of the film The Vanishing

Un conséquent succès public et médiatique, mais aussi et d'abord littéraire, qui incita - à tort - le metteur en scène batave (d'origine française), George Sluizer, d'en faire un remake aux States en 1993, pour une oeuvre somme toute prenante à souhait, avec un BP Donnadieu toujours excellent dans son étonnante interprétation, froide et lucide, d'un hallucinant psychopathe pervers et démoniaque. www.cinefiches.com

9. Trevor L. Charles's rating of the film The Vanishing

It's a little too interested in torchuring the audience.

10. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film The Vanishing

Would that I could've seen this before "calculated sociopath daylighting as banal schlub" weren't the focal point of of our trash culture. Because buddy, I'm sick to death of those stories. Even so, this movie fucking rules--Sluizer poured over the ornamental details, the editing, etc, and the tension & ambiguity are on point.

11. petit astronaute's rating of the film The Vanishing

12. kinotopia's rating of the film The Vanishing

two sociopaths: one chaotic, banal, and extroverted and the other controlled, exceedingly clever, and reserved. a gradual buildup of resentment and total absence of pity for the former and fascination for the latter that resolutely flips. terrible non-diegetic music.

13. miles's rating of the film The Vanishing

Man, what structure. So evil. Worth the wait watching this!

14. franciscotorres's rating of the film The Vanishing

The kind of movie Hitchcock or Chabrol would love to have directed. Maybe today, in a bold move ,they could have had come with this. It somehow feels like a meta-thriller. In that sense, playing with the genre itself, it would have been a fantastic ending if we wouldn't have known what had happened. Still, the actual ending is absolutely great.

15. Mcpeer's rating of the film The Vanishing

THE VANISHING deserves multiple viewings. Having seen it only once, it very well may deserve 5 stars, but for now, I'm going with my first-viewing experience. What impressed me most about Sluizer's film is it's unique structure and perspective. It's a cold, straight-forward, dark film that matches it's central subject - a sociopathic serial killer. It's a brutal film that leaves you twisted in horror and shock.

16. jason's rating of the film The Vanishing

A well structured film with a great cast. Love how they flesh out the antagonist. The score is creepy which gives the movie an air of uneasiness. Though, I have to say. It's a bit overrated no thanks to it's predictable twist that many people were raving about. Still highly recommended for those who are curious.

17. hemachandra's rating of the film The Vanishing

The Vanishing is a film with an unusual structure. The film builds suspense even while it seems to be telling us almost everything we want to know. A MASTER CLASS ON SUSPENSE.

18. Chris's rating of the film The Vanishing

wow...... *shits my pants*

19. Nolan Barth's rating of the film The Vanishing

I find it hard to put my feelings and thoughts about this film into words. I absolutely loved it! I thought it was brilliantly done and I was on the edge of my seat all the way till the credits rolled on the screen. Right from the start this is a very different type of horror film. I loved the non-linear style of storytelling. Everyone should see The Vanishing at least once in their lifetime.

20. Allison Rung's rating of the film The Vanishing

Good idea to watch if you liked Force Majeure (that wd be my double-bill) or you're into Haneke. But it's one of those movies where the villain is supposed to be devilishly smart and is in fact a complete blockhead.

21. ionosonde's rating of the film The Vanishing

incredibly intriguing and incredibly rewarding. it gave me all sorts of questions and had the kindness to follow through on all of their answers, which my curiosity loves. and the ending -- that takes a lot of guts. i was impressed. as a whole, it's shot really well -- and every now and then a really beautiful shot sneaks into it. my kind of horror film for sure. no jump scares, just tension.

22. Ghostman's rating of the film The Vanishing

Apparently Kubrick thought this was the most terrifying film he ever saw. I now understand why. An unforgettable masterpiece.

23. gld48's rating of the film The Vanishing