1. DrFirestone's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

A true gem of the French New Wave. Beautiful b&w cinematography, impressive camerawork, interesting use of light, great music. This is a unique film, something that could probably only happen during the 60's, so if you like the period and appreciate experimental films, you most likely won't be disappointed; I'd actually recommend anyone to give it a try!

2. orbisalterius's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

Tres estrellitas para esta peli del maestro de la post Nouvelle Vague.

3. David Grillo's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

at the intersection between poetry and politics but gets lost in the deluge of I and thou. The atheism in politics is the megaphone infected by the silence. (atheism is the absence of politics) God is missing and present (where is politics). The film fails to provide the necessary condition for both absolutes (god/politics). I much prefer the angle of Pasolini, God is the atheist that fails to believe in the world.

4. msmichel's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

Pretty terrible film from a young Philippe Garrel that despite some stylistic flourishes fails miserably in its conceit. Garrel takes on the Christ story and attempts to draw allusions to modern times and the political climate of the time period but it all comes off as twee, ineffective and somewhat juvenile. At times brings to mind the early work of Serra (Birdsong) in its starkness and emotional vacuum.

5. David R Williams's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

Arresting visuals and striking set pieces cannot hold up this ultimately overindulgent film. I really want to like Garrel but this just didn't do it for me.

6. EdieEmm's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

Campy, literary, sexy, absurdist, cool & full of fervour. I both genuinely love it and can see why, to another, it'd be ponderous/pretentious. Absolutely indulgent. But absolutely successful! Could be the Nico & the heroin-driven guitars that make me think it brought to film a bit of what the VU brought to music (but maybe just drug-fuelled iconoclasm & art-house cool). Anyway, impressive. Here's to the wunderkinds!

7. Corey's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

Interesting - the story of Jesus with a 1960s psychedelic influence. Some cool scene, but was fairly bored by the end.

8. surgery-ethic's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

9. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

As far as Garrel's experimental work goes, this seems to be a good use of them in terms of storytelling. He takes the Christ story and modernizes it and fits in some pretty cool odd cinematic shots. The shot through the catacombs while riding on a bed is pretty damn cool. Not sure there is much added to the conversation here. But the use of his experimentation on this old story is pretty interesting if nothing else.

10. Pierre.F's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

Variations sur le thème du Christ impuissant dans les temps modernes.

11. Maribou's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

A meandering hippy passion play following a Jesus figure on his journey through a biblical landscape with obscure purpose. Symbols of counterculture themes such as the violence of the state bubble up and dissipate. Its charm lies in the striking camerawork, its leisurely pace, the long silences and the crude minimalism of the locations and the action. Oddly bewitching

12. Mar ~'s rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

I dont know..I didnt like it. Couldnt keep watching

13. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

I've officially jumped on the bandwagon.

14. FISCHER's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

Allégorie sur notre monde à travers les personnages bibliques de Jésus, Marie et Dieu le Père. Un langage cinématographique qui n'invite pas au partage, à l'échange, à la proximité ..... www.cinefiches.com

15. Superfrog's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

What a odd film, which sadly fails to make me get excited by the oddity and just annoys me. I suspect lots of drugs and a penchant for biblical fantasies would help.

16. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

Some arresting imagery, some Nico on the soundtrack, and plenty of bizarre moments, The Virgin's Bed is a unique and dreamy collage of reinterpreted Bible imagery.

17. Timmy93's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

rock and roll with Jesus

18. Will Linhares's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

Garrel the spoiled prodigy

19. Test's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

20. Honeychurch's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

was hoping for a little more jesus nudity. especially given the era..

21. chazell's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

22. Ana Sousa's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed

I just don't have the patience.

23. Frank ViSo's rating of the film The Virgin's Bed