1. Atzin Ortiz González's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

A blend of social commentary and never ending suspense that's oh so memorable in every aspect you can think of.

2. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

This is how to make a slow-moving thriller about trailers going slowly over South American roads and any bump could trigger an explosion. A movie unafraid to establish characters, motivations and why someone can take on such a life-risking job. It is no wonder why it has been remade several times since.

3. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

4. Seesaw's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

I think the birth of Super Mario characters are from this film. Not only the spectacle of the plot, even the the two characters are named the same, Mario and Luige, except for Luige whose appeareance is very similar to Super Mario. This film has similar quality with Greed by Erich von Stroheim having crafted with blood and tear.

5. Richmond Hill's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

Playing like an early high concept action-thriller, this is an unevenly expansive affair - notably in the extraneous first thirty minutes of ‘character’ setting for what largely remain stock types throughout - it nevertheless has some tense ‘what would I do in that situation’ reactive action sequences. The latter spurs of fatalism surprise, albeit realised as moral retribution for such unbridled greed and machismo.

6. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

7. FISCHER's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

Un incontournable classique du cinéma français des années 1950, entre absurdité tragique, amitié virile, inexorable destin, qui se regarde avec un plaisir évident... www.cinefiches.com

8. Joe Zaydon's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

9. edpwilson's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

once things get moving and the buildings disappear, you experience the empty landscape, this intense limbo-plane of the road, where the heart rate will keep increasing and make you realise the fragility of human life - it's grim

10. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

11. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

I ve watched this film's remake ''sorcerer'' before...Even remake contains some additions about zionism ,mafia works and each characters' past .Both films were great. But I think there is something missing in these films. I dont know why...some plans which are slowly rotation of wheels contain high tension.. This is the power of director and his story. I would like to see tremendous final because of his talent.

12. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

It takes far too long and that ending is fatalism at its most unnecessary. But Clouzot's toxic sense of character still stings. "Pure suspense" nothing—this is a bitter, textured fuck-you to the world of 1953. Its setting isn't South America so much as a post-WWII purgatory, as different languages/accents mingle in a corporate-controlled desert where everyone wants to escape. Key line: "What's beyond it?" "Nothing."

13. mubianer's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

A very good adventure film, but not a film I think I will ever re-watch.

14. Henrique Amud's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

Holy shit this was a tense motherfucker. Clouzot's a genius and in this film he excels in pretty much every kind of filmmaking obstacles ever. It's powerful and nihilistic and so fucking humane. And I do disagree with people who didn't like the first 40 minutes or the last couple of minutes. From minute one this is a very unique masterpiece.

15. Loud Rocks's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

16. Nolan Barth's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

The Wages of Fear is great, but I guarantee that a majority of the world has never even heard of it. That's because of two reasons. The first reason; it's in black and white. The second reason; it's a foreign film. I hate that the general audience is scared off by black & white and foreign films. I wish people ventured outside their safe zone and watched brilliant films like this.

17. Bernardo_Rodrigues's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

Clenching my teeth the whole time.

18. gld48's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

What the hell was that ending

19. yovargas's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

Very poor men take an extremely dangerous job - driving trucks full of nitroglycerin for 100s of miles - for a big pay day. For a movie mostly about slowly driving a truck for hours, the story is amazingly intense, and a great cast of characters ensures the trip is always lively. But one of the most ridiculously terrible endings I've ever seen drag an otherwise cool movie way, way down. I give it a C.

20. ceknklsn's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

21. C҉ă҉t҉ă҉l҉i҉n҉'s rating of the film The Wages of Fear

22. James Mackin's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

Too much fucking tension, will watch again and again.

23. Ethan's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

This movie never lets up in its entire two and a half hour running time. Filmmakers could learn a lot from Clouzot.

24. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film The Wages of Fear

A classic about the lengths people go to escape poverty. The truck scenes had a great intensity about them that the remake lacked for me. It felt perfectly paced as well, the first hour (lighter in tone) taking time to develop the characters, making for a great contrast later. Yves Montand's transformation while in a desperate situation was truly gripping, I felt the ending was justified, original and un-contrived.

← Previous 1 3 4