1. xuxuxush's rating of the film The Warped Ones

rapey, sociopathic, and featuring the most monolithic, hollow, stereotypical anti-hero ever. yes yes, the shots and camera movements were interesting and yes there was some nice jazz. But I was mostly bored and repulsed for 75 minutes, minus that inexplicable but marvelous beach excursion with his one black friend. Still, the disaffected youths & hapless bourgeois adults here are boring, repulsive, and depressing.

2. A47's rating of the film The Warped Ones

"Yuki, I'm a bigshot now."

3. Bilouaustria's rating of the film The Warped Ones

Amazing cinematography (Yoshio Mamiya) for this milestone of the japanese new wave. Kurahara screams in every shot "FREEDOM !", "ANARCHY !", "JAZZ !" and it is definitely a schock. Unique rhythm and energy makes it a manifesto for a young cinema (something like the anti Ozu way of making films). But the film screams 75 minutes long and that would be my only reserve : you can not be just speedy and loud all the time.

4. iva's rating of the film The Warped Ones

jazz, energy, and the classic disillusioned masculine japanese youth aside, i'm not a fan of the rape scene and was frankly disturbed by how lauded this piece is

5. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film The Warped Ones

"There must have been a strain of corruption in Japanese politics at the time." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/06/episode-61-new-j-wave-part-one-here.html

6. El Biffo's rating of the film The Warped Ones

Jazzy and fast-moving, at times this feels like the Japanese BREATHLESS, but lacking that profound "je ne sais quoi" that infuses Godard's classic, which I can watch over and over again. I'm glad I saw this, it's very good, but by no means an eternal piece of cinema that I will need to see again.

7. Karthik's rating of the film The Warped Ones

An edifice structured around the contrary struts of sun & sea, fire & water, moving & still camera, twitchy nervousness & Noh mask-like stillness, jazz music & classical, rebellious iconoclasm & formal aestheticism, this film, complex in form & theme, is no simple anti-classical cri de coeur. It also happens to have one of those sublime shots of cinema: Akira & Gill swimming into the sea blazing with fiery light

8. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film The Warped Ones

The jazzy flipside to Oshima's Cruel Story of Youth, which in some ways (the dazzling camerawork, Kawachi's magnetic performance) I prefer this to.

9. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film The Warped Ones

Comparisons to Breathless are inevitable so let's get this out of the way: this film eats Godard for lunch. Where Godard's film is more a celebration of foreign influences, Koreyoshi uses this same theme to find an emptiness and desire to revolt against ones own culture. The style, in my book, is also more memorable and effective as it implements these foreign elements to create a Japanese film unlike any other,

10. NICOLE86's rating of the film The Warped Ones

The lead actors facial expressions were so annoying! Really ahead of its time however.

11. Frankly, Mr. Shankly's rating of the film The Warped Ones

Wonderfully jazzy and frenzied with an awesome cinematography. Just imagine if Blier's Going Places and Cassavetes' Shadows meet each other on a sunny day.

12. Lumière's rating of the film The Warped Ones

My absolute favorite from Kurahara, who apparently made a number of good movies. The opening scene and the following credits are just awesome. I absolutely love the cinematography. And there's lots of energy and style, and jazzy music. Reminded me of Oshima's Cruel Story of Youth.

13. David M.K.'s rating of the film The Warped Ones

14. PM's rating of the film The Warped Ones

15. Landen Celano's rating of the film The Warped Ones

Some outstanding camera work and a twisted story make this countercultural film quite memorable.

16. Trevor D. Jun Kwong's rating of the film The Warped Ones

This cliche is absolutely fitting for the film: it is very ahead of its time. Greatly constructed movie.

17. Earth's Impossible Day's rating of the film The Warped Ones

A Japanese angry young man film. I'm really surprised more people haven't seen this, I loved it.

18. Reginald Healer Marcellin's rating of the film The Warped Ones

bebop brained madness. I loved the photography and the story arc

19. Kyle Lewis's rating of the film The Warped Ones

Makes Breathless look like a children's film.