1. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The White Sheik

It's a situational comedy of sorts, but with a lot of real stakes and genuine emotional investments. Plus... it's a heck of a lot of fun. Fellini crafts his tale with light-hearted detail to character and situation. His narrative is tightly wrapped and his camerawork and framing is quite masterful. This movie is a delight and a wonderful example of Fellini's early genius.

2. Seesaw's rating of the film The White Sheik

Five stars for those who think humor is a secondary feeling

3. zubee's rating of the film The White Sheik

4. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film The White Sheik

Pure comic genius in every frame. Trieste’s Chaplinesque turn as the hapless husband clearly pays homage to the Tramp while embedding the slapstick within a multilayered world of fantastic characters that could easily be found in Alice’s Wonderland. Fellini always brings our attention back to his wonderful faces, framing them beautifully within densely packed scenarios where absolutely anything can be imagined.

5. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The White Sheik

3-3.5. Obviously not Fellini at his peak. But there are some absolutely wonderful moments to be found in this early gem. The initial conceit is very 'La Strada', but the way Fellini turns it on its head to believe better and worse of his (soon-to-be) usual archetypes is what makes this movie really special. Also, props for that surprise cameo from Cabiria, stealing the show as always.

6. Eric Adkins's rating of the film The White Sheik

It is Pure and Innocent... And the genesis of Cabiria is introduced. She's up to her tricks. So, going back in time, I feel I have missed this gem in a dream of Fellini's honeymoon period. In discovering his pure language again and the origin of his unique style of comedic acting... I find that no other is like him. I even saw M. Antonioni's name in the credits... Wow! I would love to read that treatment of origin.

7. Eric Rucker's rating of the film The White Sheik

Reminds me how much sweetness and generosity toward human nature is in Fellini’s work. Lovely to see it so unadorned, much as I love the later sardonic overlay that comes to (delightfully) bury everything.

8. Nick Potter's rating of the film The White Sheik

It's clear how important this film is to understanding the arc of Fellini, but not necessarily a point in the filmography to be highlighted for individual purposes. It's not bad, but it's more about showing early potential and progress.

9. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film The White Sheik

I'm smitten with the idea here of a goofily artificial fiction bleeding into Wanda's reality. 'White Sheik' also offers some splendid slapstick. But the lead male's a dimestore Chaplin, and the movie as a whole becomes a chore to get through. Maybe my final barb is unfair but the actual texture of the picture is shit, I've seen cleaner film from way earlier than '52. Good on Fellini for having fun, though!

10. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The White Sheik

Pretty amazing for a first outing. Comedies are hard to do, and that's why this was such a nice surprise. Everybody does a great job in this deft comedy of manners.

11. Loz Loory's rating of the film The White Sheik

3.5 If only Marcello had played the lead... Amazing to see Fellini's love of liminal zones--the beach, streetwalkers, theatre, the church--already so deftly handled. Fortunately, his later films do away with the tedious scenes before entering into this world, and also get rid of unfunny actors like the husband. The White Sheik on his swing is like the statue of Christ hung from the helicopter in LDV. Divine.

12. Qiongying Hux's rating of the film The White Sheik

Very charming comedy. Fellini's first solo appears much better than tarkovsky's IMHO.

13. Monkey Flix's rating of the film The White Sheik

Certainly the most accessible Fellini that I've seen. I was about to give up on him. The characters are irrational and don't behave like human beings, but I guess this is supposed to be a farce, so I'll cut it some slack.

14. Pierre's rating of the film The White Sheik

15. FISCHER's rating of the film The White Sheik

D'une mordante ironie, une oeuvre transalpine excellente qui pointe avec succulence, un certain lectorat populaire friand de cet univers factice ... www.cinefiches.com

16. Cartaphilus's rating of the film The White Sheik

17. bulgrin's rating of the film The White Sheik

Fellini in his fledgling stages already developing his very style. A somehow bittersweet comedy it has all you would expect when you're going to watch a Fellini movie.

18. B o g d a n's rating of the film The White Sheik

Nice intentions spotted, but the baroquesque drowned it in exteriorisations that cannot bring about atmospheric accumulations.

19. ermete polpette's rating of the film The White Sheik

20. eugenie de sade's rating of the film The White Sheik

i love fellini more than any shite and sound film bro has the capacity to understand

21. Ethan's rating of the film The White Sheik

This is a delightful film that shows Fellini coming into his own craft as a filmmaker. Perception vs. reality at its finest and Alberto Sordi is exceptional, as per usual, in this film.

22. Mr. Smifff's rating of the film The White Sheik

Fellini's first solo directorial project is as Woody Allen put it, "The perfect little comedy". I agree completely. This is a small, funny, clean little movie, and Fellini's tiny masterpiece. Every second of this movie belongs where it does. Sure, you can munch on some giant movies like La Dolce Vita, and 8 1/2, but this movie's a little Fellini snack, which shows just what he is capable of, and an underrated gem.

23. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The White Sheik

Fellini is an interesting case because his most "Felliniesque" movies aren't necessarily his best, so many newcomers arrive at his more famous later films and get turned off by the heavy style. You have to go back to lighter, early films like this to clearly see what his work was always really about: an exquisitely heartfelt affection for simple minds—for the juvenile, the lustful, and the naive.

24. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film The White Sheik

Comedia sobre las fantasías italianas: Sobre la mujer que vive de las fotonovelas y el hombre que vive de las apariencias. Ambas ridiculizadas con un ambiente que a pesar de desatar drama, provoca burla.