1. m.jempson@btinternet.com's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

What a gem! And a damn fine first movie by any stretch of the imagination. It's honest and truthful right up to the end, just like Roy Rogers' horse... Delicate, moving performance by Lou Perryman as Loyd. And that sound track - where can you get a copy?

2. Max Seqgar's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

This well-vibed flick is so honest and lacking in clichés that it really comes across as timeless.

3. Ray Kril's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE7vDdzgDDg The King of Texas: The Life and Death of Independent Filmmaker Eagle Pennell

4. db's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

There's so much to like about this film. The cast performances are, from top to bottom, outstanding and memorable. Were it not for a bit of clunky narrative handling in places, especially after the kitchen mop scheme goes awry, and the musical score -- which, pleasant and well-played as it is, I could have mostly done without -- this would have been five-star for me.

5. nein's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

Little bit too American for my European soul :) I appreciate it anyway.

6. albertofarina's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

Couple of hapless Texan friends try and make ends meet while pursuing ill-fated plans to finally become rich. Painfully involving tale of broken dreams and (mostly) quiet desperation unfolds in long, largely improvised dialogues getting increasingly dark as it goes on. Besides launching director Pennell's brief career, this became a true manifesto for US' Indie filmmaking movement.

7. Shelly Hatlestad's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

I love this film. Such a complex and genuine relationship between Loyd and Frank. At times raw and coarse. At times gentle and poetic. Beautiful soundtrack.

8. msmichel's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

Dynamite early american indie from director Eagle Pennell that feels like a Texan cousin to Canada's 'Goin' Down the Road'. What makes it remarkable is just how genuine it feels, especially the relationships between the actors. Completely charming. Perryman, Davis and Hargrave all give exceptional performances here. A true unsung gem.

9. Mark Rance's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

What is this film? It's a seminal film in the American Independent film movement. But more than that, it's the first feature by someone I knew and tussled with (love would be too specific a word), someone who held their nerve and did not make genre films even when the money was good. I think he knew that he knew enough not to sign up with the wannabes and careerists. So he made this...

10. Aflwydd's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

It deserves to be watched and appreciated by a worldwide audience but sadly, it's trapped by cultural stereotypes and the majority will not bother to peel away the surface to discover that it's emotionally deeper than many critically acclaimed 'foreign' films. I recently got hold of 'Last Night at the Alamo' and can only hope that it's half as good as this.

11. Pál's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

The main characters are let to lead on the movie freely, which they do with cheer. I really liked the drive-in theater scene, it was honest about its sole purpose being to give a portrait of Frank's family, and this resulted in a refreshing feeling of arbitrariness. What was amazing though is that the fleeting change from bums to successful men did not disrupt the pace, it all happened quite naturally.

12. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

Interesting indie character study of two friends in Texas trying to get rich with some dull streches that added nothing to the film's story.

13. Kilgore Trout's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

Can't think of a better way to spend $3. Great movie from a fantastic forgotten filmmaker.

14. Kristen Livera's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

One of my favorite portrayals of a few boons in the barroom

15. CB Nelson's rating of the film The Whole Shootin' Match

One of my favorite movies of all time...