1. Slow Immersion [Joe]'s rating of the film The World of Apu

3.5 - It took me way too many years to take the time and watch some of Ray's work, but I can see why he is regarded as one of the greatest filmmakers. Although his works aren't interesting formally, the worlds and characters he creates are very intriguing and visually they are great. I see that Kaplanoglu was heavily inspired by this trilogy and reading up, he acknowledged it. Both trilogies - monuments of cinema

2. FISCHER's rating of the film The World of Apu

Incontournable et plutôt édifiant sur certaines moeurs hindoues de l'époque ! www.cinefiches.com

3. ermete polpette's rating of the film The World of Apu

4. Mr. Marston's rating of the film The World of Apu

5. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film The World of Apu

6. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film The World of Apu

The Apu trilogy is more than the story of a life, but the story of many. It is as much about it's main protagonist as it is the people, particularly the women, who shape his life. It is his grandmother's story, his sister's, his mother's, and his wife's. Ray has quite a way with actresses it seems, and these women form the backbone of Apu's own story with absolutely excellent performances.

7. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film The World of Apu

8. kartina obskura's rating of the film The World of Apu

9. HSBilly's rating of the film The World of Apu

"apu!, apu!, hey, apu!" i won't forget that line.

10. Andrew Miller's rating of the film The World of Apu

Apu's suffering here resonates more deeply for me as I've lived longer, felt some of what he feels.

11. mikong's rating of the film The World of Apu

the faulty and reductive boundaries between world films as pigeonholes of their own culture is shattered by the power of the imagery of this and the two other films in the trilogy. the films are not just about india but us as humans. ray, along with ghatak, has given us these films as a priceless gift to mankind.

12. daftnymph's rating of the film The World of Apu

sweet, doe-eyed kajal - aloof and apprehensive. such a wonderful realization.

13. Drew Kelly's rating of the film The World of Apu

Beautifully done: a man content in the power of education learns the necessity of experience and practicality. And through these he eventually regains his passion for life, and wisdom, beyond education.

14. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The World of Apu

15. Jason's rating of the film The World of Apu

One of the great works of art about love. O, what love! Sharmila Tagore as Aparna makes a vivid mockery of the notion of the beautiful woman in cinema being a mere object of desire. That she is so circumspect and demure allows for the moments in which she exposes her own heart to throw the movie into an ecstatic orbit. Aparna, even in reflection, fills me w/ such joy. Her absence stands in for all absences.

16. Duncan Gray's rating of the film The World of Apu

It's remarkable to see Ray grow as a filmmaker: the dexterity of the camera & the wit of the dialogue are a huge leap ahead, and this rigor makes it the most inviting of the 3. But it's also the most prosaic, the most given over to contrivance, where the rest of the trilogy let incident, detail, and human universals pass like a dream. I must admit I'm stunned by moments of beauty and a little disappointed by the end.

17. John Baldwin's rating of the film The World of Apu

The satisfying ending to a great trilogy. 100 proof humanism, straight up. It was already dying then, now humanism is completely dead through militarism, consumerism and commodification, including human commodification. We can only look back at this with hopeless nostalgia.

18. paxy's rating of the film The World of Apu

19. Kamran's rating of the film The World of Apu

The most visually expressive and sophisticated of the trilogy which only falls short in its anticlimactic final scene. 95/100 - Amazing.

20. Stevie's rating of the film The World of Apu

A heartwarming end to one of cinema's greatest trilogies. Compassionately filmed by Ray.

21. Wasunan T's rating of the film The World of Apu

perfect amount of romance and love

22. Michael Harbour's rating of the film The World of Apu

A stronger narrative thread than in the first two Apu movies and with more confident and assured direction and camerawork. This makes for a more immediately engaging film and allows us to relish the romance that emerges from Apu's happenstance marriage to Aparna who, as played by Sharmila Tagore, it would be difficult for anyone to not fall in love with.

23. Mati Puss's rating of the film The World of Apu

I like his films much more than many of the Italian neo-realist ones.

24. pluviosity's rating of the film The World of Apu

when I finally got the trilogy, the subtitles are Czech. %$**#^#!!!!!