1. Nachtreich's rating of the film The World

2. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film The World

3. Dominic Rainsford's rating of the film The World

What really seems to work it the strong contrast between the limited chances of the characters and the whole "World" that they work in. The film catches the illusions, paradoxes and dislocations of globalisation. Zhao Tao great as usual (but so is the cast as a whole). At the end one might think back to her opening calls for a band-aid, as if that would be enough to cover the social and personal damage that unfolds.

4. Yongjia Li's rating of the film The World

略鸡汤,结尾对白真是碍耳朵,音乐也南国得格格不入;《冬春的日子》剧组十一年后再聚首不见喻红、娄公子闷在颐和园中,老贾让位成泰燊,成夫人不从小帅王。五年后诞生了冬春续集《喻红篇》,汁源何处不曾见

5. Diderot's rating of the film The World

A very ambitious movie about all the ways of being trapped even while the world only ever promises otherwise.

6. xrystyna's rating of the film The World

7. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film The World

Seriously lack of the spontaneity and « singularity » of instant classics like Platform. and it's a little bit boring sometimes... but still very good if i compare to 99,5% of the productions of this decade. 3 and half stars.

8. Ostermyers's rating of the film The World

Zhangke doing the Assayas thing. Authentic relationship through an artificial/fake world !

9. Arctic Alamut's rating of the film The World

Behind the scenes of The World. Both a digestible and raw display of disaffected lives amidst the kitsch. Trying to make ends meet and matters of the heart succeed. China's low class brought to the forefront.

10. raggiodisole's rating of the film The World

rich and varied, subtle and nuanced, how small the world is.

11. reub's rating of the film The World

12. Zoe's rating of the film The World

Poignant and beautifully filmed. A cinematic treat.

13. simonadp's rating of the film The World

the song "Ulan Bator Night": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1irmOCc6wCw&feature=player_embedded

14. sharunasbresson's rating of the film The World

find a place worth filming and build up a film around it. what a wonderful way to make cinema! Still life being an even better example.

15. Michael Harbour's rating of the film The World

Friendship and romance backstage at the Beijing theme park THE WORLD. There's some good stuff here but it has difficulty emerging from the rather monotone presentation. The opening scene and protagonist Tao 's friendship with a Russian performer are the highlights.

16. JM M----'s rating of the film The World

Animated sequence of Tao flying was lulz.

17. Zach Closs's rating of the film The World

Aesthetically, there's certain skill for long takes and tracking shots in "The World." It felt almost like a digital Scorsese in places, though it's Jia Zhangke's gift for framing that lends the film much of its grounded beauty. It's the patient characterization that wins you over, though. A gem.

18. Gondo's rating of the film The World

Cinema as a window to the world, in our world.

19. Christopher Taylor's rating of the film The World

Without the context, this film has it's insight into Chinese culture and art and day to day living. With the context of it's creation comes something more than itself.

20. Nathan Deming's rating of the film The World

What a strangely beautiful movie. I found it very hard to follow the story lines, and I was often bored (what a superficial complaint!) but some beautiful moments.

21. Joel's rating of the film The World

I really really struggled to engage in this film. Although a few scenes were filled with quite some possibilities, I failed to really be pulled in by the characters and issues. I felt truly like I was watching a foreign film in the sense that I felt I was outside of the world in which this film made sense. The trailer caught my attention, and the concept appealing, but I was left lost wandering it's frames.

22. rynmcgnns's rating of the film The World

The final seconds are a bit Pierrot le Fou-esque, no?

23. Paul Johnson's rating of the film The World

Free floating melancholia and prettiness mixed with unexpected bursts of whimsy and humor in a movie that attempts to make a big statement about The State of the World as unobtrusively and unpretentiously as possible given the aims. In other words, exactly my kind of thing, though the ending's a bit of a kick in the gut, and not in a good way.

24. Crap Monster's rating of the film The World

Saw this in a Chinese film class back in undergrad as our course-ending film, and found it quite fitting. Nice post-modern examination towards an ambiguous future of an increasingly urbanizing & globalizing China.