1. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film They Live by Night

Cheesy and stagey but the two leads nearly make it work.

2. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film They Live by Night

"You only love once." Farley Granger and Cathy O'Donnell are perfect for each other in this not-quite-film-noir crime melodrama. I say not-quite-film-noir, but (not to dumb a whole genre down) it does have the repeated characteristics of a love and/or crime story with characters doomed from the beginning, showing the fragility (and wickedness) of humankind. So... Film Noir, I guess.

3. Matt Reddick's rating of the film They Live by Night

I loved the poetic camerawork, the tension of nearly every character, and the random crane/helicopter(?) shots.

4. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film They Live by Night

Decent. Might have expected more from a director with a reputation like Nicholas Ray.

5. Ghostman's rating of the film They Live by Night

They Live by Night is one of American cinema's great debuts & introduction to one of American cinema's greatest filmmakers, the legendary Nicolas Ray. Although it has the genre trappings of a noir picture, at its heart, They Live by Night is a great romantic picture. It's a beautiful film about young lovers struggling to be together in an unjust world where material value is more important than people & love; [cont.]

6. Daniel S.'s rating of the film They Live by Night

An incredible collection of supporting roles behind a pre- James Dean / Natalie Wood couple. Masterpiece.

7. Eleanor Abernathy's rating of the film They Live by Night

8. VincentVendetta's rating of the film They Live by Night

I used to wonder what attracts American filmmakers to the lovers on the run sub-genre through the years, and through the tragic, fresh eyes of Nicholas Ray it all makes sense. It is the story of youth, of a new generation hoping against hope to escape the violent sins of their fathers. It is the birth and death of American innocence.

9. Rustam Chartrand Mendeleev's rating of the film They Live by Night

10. SpacePirate's rating of the film They Live by Night

Weird prologue aside, a fantastic debut by Ray possibly best first film by any director, including Welles. The camerawork and lighting throughout is exceptional and Granger's chemistry w/ O'Donnell is beautiful. Granger has his best role here, Hitchcock films aside, and noir stalwart De Silva provides solid supporting work. A top 50 film in the genre, & a film that predicts where cinema would go in the next decade.

11. Ben Nash's rating of the film They Live by Night

The moment I realised just how good cinema was.

12. wiwitaek's rating of the film They Live by Night

Truth to be told, overall, I have a mixed feeling about this one. I just can't pick side. It just is.

13. James Mackin's rating of the film They Live by Night

Films like this make me sad to be alive. I need to watch more of Ray's films.

14. nessa's rating of the film They Live by Night

i like when keechie wakes up and they call her a kitten

15. Ethan's rating of the film They Live by Night

This is a gritty and beautiful film and an excellent debut for Nicholas Ray. Granger and O'Connell have great chemistry here as well. This is a true gem.

16. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film They Live by Night

7.1/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2Y8

17. Balthaz21's rating of the film They Live by Night

18. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film They Live by Night

19. nico's rating of the film They Live by Night

Ray's first movie sets the loneliness atmosphere that would be his personal brand. Tragic, romantic and thrilling.

20. FISCHER's rating of the film They Live by Night

Premier film réalisé par Nicholas Ray qui signe ainsi par un chef-d'oeuvre son entrée dans le gotha des metteurs en scène. Un film noir inoubliable et cruel... www.cinefiches.com

21. Aardsy's rating of the film They Live by Night

You can get far on charm.

22. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film They Live by Night

Unusual level of intimacy. The quality of tenderness appears as inseparable from the misfit identity. Not even the worst characters can escape melancholy.

23. bulgrin's rating of the film They Live by Night

Well-crafted story about desperation and fatalismn, if only Farley Granger would be a better actor this would deserve a better rating. Still an important movie.

24. Diogo Monteiro's rating of the film They Live by Night

The first film of Nicholas Ray, and probably his best...