1. FISCHER's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Un film d'une grande densité émotionnelle pour un splendide et magistral jeu des principaux acteurs. Néanmoins, face à la force et à la richesse du court et puissant roman d'Horace Mac Coy, la réalisation ne peut que paraître timorée et banale. Une intense étude sociologique d'une période dramatique des States... www.cinefiches.com

2. bryanvmh's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Don't give me no sunshine speech

3. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

People are the ultimate spectacle. Incredible film. Incredible acting. Absolutely demented in its premise.

4. grotescsetorg's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

5. John Burgess's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

I first saw this on TV when I was far too young to understand it. Then I saw it again, 35 years later, and loved it. An outstanding film.

6. DSPRKY's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Would make a great double feature with Network.

7. Michael Peer's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Masterpiece. One of the best and most riveting films about the Great Depression. Sydney Pollack never made a finer film than this. What starts as a fun contest turns into a grotesque reflection of America and the will to survive. The performances are unforgettable. The period look is remarkable. It's one of the most captivating films of the late 60s - and that is saying something. Susannah York is transcendent.

8. LauraPalmer's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, (to the radio)...

9. Dalibor's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Has enough juice to keep it interesting for the first half an hour. After which, upon establishing a clear allegory for Depression era, it never fully develops neither its socially engaged nor satirical view of it. What comes out is a just a repetitive soft-exploitation film that doesn't know where to evolve from out-of-place confused bunch of faces.

10. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

I get it, I get it.. It's a metaphor for America. I just think it could have been 30 minutes shorter. Then again, maybe just like the contestants, we have to suffer a bit too.

11. Log Lady's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Beautifully enhances the story Horace McCoy so poignantly told in his novel. The choices people had to make to get food on the table during the depression, the relationships formed in the competition, and the revelations made shrink into a miniature America. The ending, which also explains the title, is haunting and quite possibly one of the best endings in both literature and cinema. Quiet but so full of meaning.

12. The Boreal Chorus's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

The atmosphere of the story is beyond oppressive, pained, and grim to the point of despair. But if it's a heaviness one has breathed in real life, then what more can a work of art do but offer the bleak evidence? Certainly, it would offer some relief by contrast. And who hasn't felt the unbearable press of time bear down on one's shoulders, as we lace up our ill-fitting blades and take to the ice again and again?

13. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

14. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

8/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-1Zy

15. Matheus Cassano's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Bring on the dancing horses headless and all alone.

16. Carl Penguin's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

17. MustafaOnur's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

18. Mehmet Ali Karar's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

19. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Understanding the American Dream.

20. Freude's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Kinda thought it would be a Battle Royale thing.. Well I was pleasantly surprised though!

21. José Neves's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Cinematography by Philip H. Lathrop. "Desire" list. I know very little of Michael Sarrazin, but in this movie the little I know it will be worth, eventually, by the much I do not know of him. Where did we see another man who so much aspired to be a murmur or a fable?

22. keremebrulee's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Terribly boring directing but strong story and a killing end deserves a watch

23. Ezuzuzu's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Such a condensed and ingenious depiction of what the Great Depression had done to citizens of the United States.

24. nazli kok's rating of the film They Shoot Horses, Don't They?