1. pintobean's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

I wanted to like it more than I did but I just couldn't get behind the characters. Nick is a brat.

2. Ethan's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

This is a nice little film noir road thriller that has some really great energy that feels so natural. Richard Conte is badass here and Lee J. Cobb just had a special knack for playing the biggest assholes in the cinema.

3. film_lies101's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

When films had all white people it was at least a diverse group of white people. They all didn't sound like one another and have similar mannerisms

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Jules Dassin à l'apogée de son art et de son efficacité ! www.cinefiches.com

5. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

6. Aardsy's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

These apples taste like corruption.

7. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Dassin y un modesto filme de brotes noir por un tipo de negocio ilícito y una femme fatale que es uno de los elementos más atractivos de la película. Un caso curioso es el final que le aguarda a este personaje, algo que de por sí desmitifica la naturaleza y destino de una femme fatale. Por lo resto, es también una road movie (una gran secuencia de una coalisión), un filme sobre la codicia y la redención.

8. Cartaphilus's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

9. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

10. SpacePirate's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Underrated Dassin here. Lee J Cobb was so good at playing total pricks, i.e. in On the Waterfront, or 12 Angry Men

11. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Film noirs sometimes have a plot device at the center: a jewel-encrusted bird, a mysterious blonde, an atomic box. This one has apples. Golden Delicious, to be exact. But this is actually one of the film's biggest hooks, the way it shows cutthroat, even violent economic forces behind even the most mundane of items. So four stars for that, minus one for a wonky third act and some truly lame studio meddling.

12. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

free enterprise for everything.

13. rllr's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

The opening scene put me off a bit, but the rest is an amazing ride. Strong acting. Valentina Cortese, oh my!

14. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Evocative noir set in the world of wildcat trucking and the shady California produce industry. Beautiful location shooting, compelling performances, and the noir staple of a returning vet confronting the underbelly of America. The movie's only slightly tainted by Darryl Zanuck's end-of-the-picture changes made to appease forces for good in the community.

15. Log Lady's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Not quite as intense as Dassin's films usually are, but the locations give this a level of authenticity and atmosphere that is missing from some more well known film noirs. Cobb is a highly memorable villain, and the premise of a long-haul boy trying to avenge his father is certainly something I had never seen before.

16. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

It all started so happily. But leave it to Dassin to give us a noir thriller that combines cutthroat capitalism & the perils of truck-driving (and it all just so happens to involve apples). The faults come from Cortese's performance & the screenplay. Despite the hero's ultimate destiny (you can tell both women would've eventually let him down), this ain't The Wages Of Fear but it's still a solid film.

17. Algitya's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Kind of a light model for those who willing to observe the genre (FilmNoir)

18. This is Jake Kath's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

This movie really earns its punches, which is refreshing to see. Even today. I guess that's what's really appealing about this flick. Sure, its revenge rag to riches and film noir trappings aren't really what makes the movie work so well, its the fact that it draws in you with sympathy for the lower class without feeling like an uninspired discourse in the evils of capitalism. This is no Micheal Moore doc, kids!

19. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Wow, what a movie. I liked the director and main cast anyway, still I'm surprised. Forget Wages of Fear, this is better and unusual ending for a film noir. I'm happy with it. 5/5, maybe even better than On the Waterfront.

20. Christopher Taylor's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Far from perfect, but hits some notes so well. The apples rolling down the hill! Mostly more fascinating is the protagonist's partner and his trajectory. Lee J. Cobb turns in another great villain, this one tamer than what I'm used to from him, but no less cunning and cruel. And with such burly bravado.

21. Mugino's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

The trailer was kitschy, leaving me utterly unprepared for the startling weight of this film.

22. Dave's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Not quite top-flight Dassin, regardless of what you've read or heard. Even so, it is a very good film.

23. benton425's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Really enjoyed this one tonight, surprisingly dark for a film from the 40s Lee J. Cobb could play a mean bastard better than anyone else

24. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Thieves' Highway

Excellent noirish drama masterfully crafted by director Jules Dassin takes a look at a world not often seen in movies - the ruthless, cutthroat lives of long-haul truckers. Smart writing and fascinating characters fleshed out by superb performances. Intense, engrossing, and authentic, this is really a remarkable film.