1. Natasha Mabille's rating of the film Things to Come

2. thelastronaut's rating of the film Things to Come

These truths cannot be debated: 1) Splitting up books is a cruel part of breaking up. 2) A film so heavily about philosophy, which is THE college major derided as "just talking about things" and as a waste of time, can feel just as grounded, natural, and real as any other movie out there. 3) If you have Isabelle Huppert in your life, don't leave her, or you'll be alone with Schopenhauer.

3. Ghostman's rating of the film Things to Come

Another great film with Isabelle Huppert, the cinema's finest actor. The first film I've seen by Mia Hansen Love. Got to watch her work now. A nice movie about getting old and adjusting to a changing world.

4. arlinda's rating of the film Things to Come

Why are all of Hansen-Love's films about loss? Clearly, she has not finished exploring the topic. But this is her most satisfying--both emotionally and intellectually--film to date. And what can I say about Isabelle that hasn't been said already? Such beguiling vulnerability and honesty.

5. olívia,'s rating of the film Things to Come

não me fartarei da huppert nunca mesmo que a psicologia das suas personagens seja igual sempre

6. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Things to Come

7. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film Things to Come

Isabelle Huppert, an icon of French cinema

8. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Things to Come

9. Landen Celano's rating of the film Things to Come

It feels impossible to be objective about a film starring Isabelle Huppert.

10. Huey McEvoy's rating of the film Things to Come

A film where nothing happens, and everything happens. An unhurried look at the minutiae of gradual changes that come with advancing age - relationships, work, children - while letting its characters spew forth on the purpose of philosophy in the modern age: it's macro vs. micro. Cat metaphors abound (plus ça change), and Huppert is both stoic and vulnerable.

11. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Things to Come

12. Carlos Tejeda's rating of the film Things to Come

Artículo (suplemento cultural "It's playtime"): https://lamiradadealbert.wordpress.com/2016/09/22/el-porvenir-mia-hansen-love/

13. alchimia's rating of the film Things to Come

I really hoped that this would've been my cup of tea.

14. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Things to Come

Yet another philosophy teacher in French cinema, but this time she feels a lot more genuine than usually (thanks to Huppert, I’m sure). The philosophical ponderings are as superficial as they tend to be in the movies, but they make a nice background noise for the falling apart of the philosophy teacher’s life - which isn’t as dramatic as it might sound. There might be a lesson to be learned.

15. Leif Erikson's rating of the film Things to Come

Now that you have your Schopenhauer, all is good...

16. vordven's rating of the film Things to Come

17. susie's rating of the film Things to Come

Isabelle Huppert defiantly refuses the traditional rituals that comes with ageing. Instead of letting time overwhelm her, she lets it wash over her -- cleansing her spirit, and abilities as an actress, anew. Loved it.

18. Justwibi's rating of the film Things to Come

actually the issue in this film is pretty heavy.. but Mia know how to made that heavything become simple and natural.

19. Esteban Gomez's rating of the film Things to Come

El Porvenir (L´avenir), la nueva película de Mia Hansen-Love, acerca un análisis filosófico y vivo de la crisis personal de una mujer entrada en edad, al perder el vínculo con su marido, sus hijos, su madre, su éxito intelectual. De la estructurada rutina al vacío, del vacío a la libertad, y su resignificación. La constante pregunta que ronda en Nathalie de inicio a fin. ¿Quién soy? mientras suena "Time goes by".

20. lazycalm's rating of the film Things to Come

Isabelle Huppert sang A la claire fontaine...how wonderful is that?

21. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Things to Come

22. El Biffo's rating of the film Things to Come

I loved watching Isabelle Huppert in this film. I don't think I would have liked it at all without her! Things To Come has more nuance than substance, but I could watch Isabelle stare into space forever. She is up on top of my list of favorite actors of all time, along with Paul Newman, Barbara Stanwyck, Jean Gabin and Lon Chaney. These are the kind of actors who make what might have been a so-so film a great one!

23. Matt Richards's rating of the film Things to Come

An excellent return to form and the high bar set by her first film The Father of My Children. Huppert is indeed fantastic to watch here and although half of French acting just seems to be about moving quickly she brings such a presence and depth of character that it's impossible not to feel for her. 4 stars

24. Renton47's rating of the film Things to Come

Oddly at home at the French Film Fest playing middle of the road imports, which is not to say we don't see talent behind the lens. Love always points and moves the camera for maximum psychological empathy, and it's the main reminder this is the work of an auteur. The material feels restless, boring but calming, the external not rivalling the internal. Life will have surprises, and creeps love Kiarostami etc.

← Previous 1 3 4 5