1. Alex Pintică's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

2. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

3. Dada Kubin's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

It’s unbelievable how Panahi manages to build up profound cinema with the most simple elements. The script Panahi presents obviously refers to his own situation, the wonderful ending with the art student/garbage man elevates the theme of freedom and choice to a universal level. Panahi also speaks a lot about cinema as a lie while making this non-film. Everything seems very authentic, yet you wonder...

4. Aukse's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

Panahi's example illustrates that an artist needs to create - a ban to make films kills him day by day. I think this is one of the main points in the film.

5. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

One of the funniest credits sequences in cinema. Wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it is a staggering work of documentary filmmaking and captures the isolation of an artist extremely well.

6. Anita G's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

I enjoyed this immensely . It's brilliant to see a director's passion about his work before it is diluted by the process .. it reminded me of Von triers Dogville the way Panahi marked out the setting : an intense sequence in intense circumstances. Real Filmmakers are never silenced. The lift is brilliance .. only a real filmmaking artist would have captured that so eloquently. The iguana, though, is the real star

7. 'king Harold's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

a repressive society it may be but I am struck by the high level of common decency and care that exists between strangers - how this doesn't filter upwards I don't know

8. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

An interesting look at what it means to direct a film, and who/what can be charged with the direction of a scene, this is also a look at the perilous nature of trying to make challenging art in Iran, when film-makers may be punished for not confroming to certain political lines.

9. Alex Hall's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

An Iranian filmmaker is banned from making films, writing screenplays, or leaving the country for 20 years. He attempts to recreate the banned film in his own home, under the 'direction' of another cameraman. Brilliant.

10. Angus George Alexander Brown's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

This is a really sweet film. It's not incendiary or even particularly remarkable. but it is sweet.

11. Superfrog's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

(understandably) whiney and derivatively meta, you get to see Panahi in his house, pretending a film is not being made, as he is banned from doing so, while talking abut a film he cannot make to fill the void. I feel sorry for Panahi's situation, which is most likely politically motivated, and there is something cunning about the form but the film is just not that great.

12. SiIencio's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

As a film, a waste of digital memory and archive of boredom where even an iguana is welcome to bulk up the experience. Indeed it is not a film but a blurred glint and distant echo of a troublesome period in Iranian recent history in the wake of the Arab Spring and 2009 Iranian presidential elections, a period typically clouded from objective judgment here in the West and that Panahi does not help to enlighten.

13. Nathanielll's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

Around the 4 minute mark is absolutely golden, this film is one of a kind.

14. Elle Johnston's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

I'm not sure what the actual point of this was but it wasn't awful.

15. Alberto Funkledink's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

I can see why the Iranian government tried to stop him making films...

16. Inês Lopes's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

A compelling exercise in metacinema, devoid of pretentiousness.

17. Maudy Puteri Agusdina's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

18. Ruth Gilbert's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

the frustrations of an artist banned from making or distributing his work, depicted entirely inside his apartment whilst under house arrest. courage in the face of silencing, it much more than a film.

19. Adam Cross's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

You can do nothing but admire Panahi. In the closing moments as Panahi picks up the camera and heads outside to his more familiar surroundings and is told not to by a garbage collector for fear of being discovered it really hits home how important Panahi is to Iranian cinema.

20. Anna's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

I admit that the 1st time I watched it, I did not feel emotionally impacted. Then I watched it again, and picked up little details that I had missed the 1st time, particularly concerning the end (the art student's Esfahani accent, the entire elevator scene, the fire jump) and then the ingenuity of it all really hits you. It is not a film, but it says some really film-like things, capturing the essence of freedom.

21. thomasjeff16's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

Reptiles make me feel uneasy, but I'll make an exception for Igi!

22. IsmailBakry's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

very bland for such a bold statement. the story behind this work is much more interesting than the film itself.

23. AKFilmFan's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

Filmmaking as an act of defiance, Panahi's film may be only a video journal but is a power statement in of itself. Detailing instances from mundane to emotional, it contains so little "film" & yet so much poetic emotion that you're amazed how harshly the government punished this innocent man. You empathize w/ him, feeling his frustration and heartbreak as he acts out his screenplay & watches his own films. Powerful!

24. smndvdcl's rating of the film This Is Not a Film

A courageous protest piece like no other.