1. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

Excellent "Mockumentary" that take all the things we love about rock and make it into a loving but fun homage to the genre. The music is so good that the fake band went on tour afterwards and Spinal Tap actually has better hits than some of the other hard rock bands that I have on my favorite list on Spotify. The fantastic comedic trio that makes up the heart of this band will forever be at their best here.

2. Richard Tines's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

One of those classics (Rocky Horror Picture Show, Python, are two that come to mind) that yields to many a secret handshake/meme/notable quotable.....you haven't seen this yet?

3. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

4. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

Very, very sharp insight into the patterns of a musician's lifestyle in a number of genres that were popular to an extent, and still holds true in a number of ways.

5. Graceful Photon's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

Not sure this picture is for everyone, but I did laugh out loud more than once, so it must be worth four stars. A lot of the jokes didn’t land for me, but those that did easily made up for the flops.

6. David R Williams's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

No point in saying anything - its all been said.

7. Loz Loory's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

Over 30 years old and still divine. Perfect satire of the public's interest in the profoundly inane statements of barely talented celebrities. This was before Reality TV, before Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the current President, yet it brilliantly mocks how seriously America worships anti-intellectual achievements.

8. Charlene Smith's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

C'mon Mubi, one rubbish documentary after another, surely you can do better than this?

9. Peter Walsh's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

The beauty of brevity, and a well executed, well-thought out joke. The film rewards revisits, and the priceless gems which drop out of the character's mouths doesn't seem to depreciate.

10. John's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

Absolutely the best rock and roll movie, ever. More true to life than you'd expect. Watched it countless times and it never fails to delight. Actually was the catalyst for me becoming a professional musician.

11. Sakinah's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

Ironically, I came into looking at this movie with the idea that Spinal Tap was a real band, but once I started laughing then saw Fran Drescher and Billy Crystal in back to back scenes, it dawned on me that it was a mockumentary. The film was overall hilarious and the acting was actually very good, and seemed very natural. Almost as if the entire film was unscripted and improvised, the film felt so seamless and real

12. rachelldancer's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

A hilarious, stupid and brilliant mockumentary about rock n roll. Rob Reiner did a fantastic job with the trailer, making it seem like a legitimize documentary. The hilarious one liners and the satirical jokes throughout the movie keep it fresh and the laughs consistent. While it is all made up, it is very believable at the same time.

13. drlurl's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

"Why don't you just make the '10' knob louder?" "... These ones go up to '11'." So goes the famous exchange from This Is Spinal Tap, the lines epitomizing the film's approach as it alternately celebrates and skewers the self-mythologizing tendencies of rockstars. Those familiar with music biopics will enjoy seeing their subjects parodied, while those who are mostly just looking for a laugh will find no shortage here

14. ejonline's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

In my circles, This is Spinal Tap has been quoted so many times in conversations over the decades that it feels like less of a movie and more of a means to ritually connect to other people and comment on life. As such, the last time I checked it out it felt like watching these time-honored personal conversational bits strung together. Watching it with people who have not seen it before reduces that feeling a bit.

15. ekeal9497's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

A typical eighties rock n roll spiff of what it was like in this day. Very funny and witty. The whole costume designing, the bright neon colors in the lights, and even the spandex were a classic touch to the film. From the riffs of guitars to the very high engaging vocals, This Is Spinal Tap contributes to the viewers a very funny twist on 1980's hard rock. I'd recommend anyone to go see this who's fascinated with it

16. Brian's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

This is an excellent film done in a documentary way. Rob Reiner is a well known director, and does a great job with this movie. The film shows a band that's been around since the 60s, and takes audiences through their career. Throughout the movie, viewers will laugh, enjoy the music, and even see behind the scenes of rock bands. It is a well made film, how the camera is telling the story. Entertaining and classic.

17. Slappy McGee's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

One of my all-time favorites. Hilarious at every turn. So whip-smart and spot-on. An absolutely hilarious send-up of the rock concert genre and the characters that surround that lifestyle. Fantastic improv throughout and some truly classic lines. Love this film.

18. NicholasHeinecke's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

One of the most classic mock-u-mentaries of all time, "This is Spinal Tap" is a legendary tale of a band who had ultimate humor. A fake band turned popular comedy act on stage, you'll be in for a real treat. Filled with tons of hilarious scenes, and lots of smart and thought provoking dialogue, I was engrossed in the absurdity and ridiculousness of it all.

19. Samuel Wells's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

Good old fashioned cult satire. This is Spinal Tap strikes a brilliant balance between over the top comedy and band tour satire. The film has one of the most iconic lines that really does go to eleven on the joke. It has a surprising amount of earnestness for the topic and talk about the film which gives it the life to stand the test of time. It is a very good film and a great one on the rewatch.

20. CHRIS's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap is a wonderful example of films bringing something into fruition. The satirical "rockumentary" follows a fictitious band, who subsequently becomes a real band in our time and space. It is a beautiful satire on rock bands of the 70's and the myths behind them.

21. chazell's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

wheres my full length rock musical based on jack the ripper

22. Louis Léonard's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

23. Viginti_tres's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

Eleven doesn't seem that high in this post-Dewey Cox/Popstar world, but the original still manages to wring out some laughs despite the familiarity that comes with being constantly quoted, literally and inspirationally.

24. kiptok's rating of the film This Is Spinal Tap

rewatched. slighter than i remember. i'm very convinced now that hard laughs can only ever come from contemporary comedies and culture changes faster all the time

← Previous 1 3 4