1. Frank ViSo's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

Dopo il sorprendente Butter on the Latch, Josephine Decker si riconferma come una delle autrici indie statunitensi piĆ¹ interessanti e visionarie, firmando quello che, a modesta opinione, rappresenta ad oggi la summa del suo percorso formativo: http://visionesospesa.blogspot.it/2015/11/thou-wast-mild-and-lovely.html

2. Austin Moss-Ennis's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

A very beautifully shot film, however, a very pretentious film. While I can see and appreciate what it sets out to do, somewhere in between it totally loses any sense of focus and confuses nonsense with art/obscurity. At some point the more artsy shots are so densely packed together that they even lose their beauty, instead nauseating the viewer and tiring one's eyes. Certainly a director to watch, just not this film

3. Raymond David's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

To be succinct and honest, this movie was tedious and fake. We spend eighty minutes in apprehensive confusion attempting to unravel the characters and find sense and meaning, only to conclude with "The Hills Have Eyes" and a rubber dick. The film's body was an exhaustive attempt to be "Arthousey" and the conclusion was blunt nonsense. Reviewers who are spewing spuriously positive reviews should head back to NetFlix.

4. Kevin's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

29 Palms without the CA desert, the funny part is that after the grind it all makes perfect sense, if of course extreme violence can make sense. It does not resemble reality though, which is perhaps its strongest point.

5. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

Fine line between 'impressionistic/atmospheric' and 'awkward/sloppy.'

6. mebbee's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

Strange, mesmerizing, annoying. It took me a week to watch because of buffering problems. So I don't know what it'd be like to absorb in one sitting. I'd follow Josephine Decker down to the river though.

7. Matthew Chuckran's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

I wish I could punch this movie in the stomach. The first hour was a chore, then about fifteen minutes where I thought that maybe this could be brilliant, and then that sh*tshow ending. I can't figure out if the ending tried too hard, or not hard enough because it is literally one of the worst I've ever seen. The visuals are really the only saving grace, but even that is a poor-man's Terrance Malick.

8. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

Wonderful and weird. I'm not sure I quite understood everything but definitely looking forward to giving it a second viewing.

9. ashley george's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

Great dramatic arc - wonderful suspense and tension - gorgeous location and camerawork. Loved this film!

10. crystal meff's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

Is it the director's fear of god that produces this end violence ?

11. Mark Tallo's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

Lasted about an hour where the motion sickness caused by the camera work conquered my desire to make it to the end. I am sure there was a point to all of this.

12. Chris Waites's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

I watch a lot of art movies, so when I signed up for Mubi, it was perfect for my tastes. Thou Wast Mild and Lovely was weird and nonsensical, even for me.

13. kampton's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

This film has some beautiful moments. Evocative and full of poetry. I felt it was, at times, overly cryptic however (e.g. the "roommate" in the barn.) Perhaps in an attempt to add a kind of depth and mystery that it didn't really need.

14. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

What a difference a year made. All those things that were weaknesses were turned into strengths. The confusion is gone and what you have is a well-told story. Bravo.

15. Ben Loory's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

felt like the story, which began so strangely and originally, kinda veered into the ordinary, almost becoming a genre exercise by the end. but the direction, the aesthetic, the awareness, is just mind-cracklingly alive and intense throughout. just that moment, in context, of the flies rising up off the cow's back... holy shit

16. Soulo_Guero's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

17. Kenneth Gentry's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

A praiseworthy experimental feature film that takes numerous risks, beginning with its title and ending with its volatility.

18. GoSpeedGo!'s rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

19. Till Kadritzke's rating of the film Thou Wast Mild and Lovely

BERLINALE 2014: Liked it a bit more than Butter on the Latch, because substance and atmosphere converged in a more convincing way. Not a perfect movie but a gripping experience.