1. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

Fantastic. Marcello's presence is absolutely shining and perfect.

2. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

3. captainfez's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

Please note that in the final credits, his suit gets second billing.

4. DrFirestone's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

Amazing feverish dream or, perhaps, a nightmare on the verge of the surreal... Each "story" escalates the ongoing madness. I loved the subtle, dark humour that is used sparingly but just in the right place. The stories and the transitions are rather confusing, but I guess that fits the theme. It so much reminds me of the affliction of schizophrenia but in a light, humourous take.

5. Jeff Heinzl's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

I enjoyed how this film pulls together (explodes?) its various parts in a feverish final act (when it seems at first that we're seeing a bunch of unrelated narratives starring Marcello Mastroianni).

6. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

The film is almost comically french. All of the stereotypes of obtuse and melodramatic "frenchness" are on display within this film. That is not it doesn't have beatuy in these moments. The narrative progresses swiftly with a good trust in the audience's intelligence. The score is lush and only a little too over bearing to add the atmosphere to the otherwise quaint film. The film well crafted, just lacking realness.

7. chaospress@yahoo.com's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

Quite a trip, and not an altogether good one for me judging by the fact I had a nightmare afterward and woke up with a headache and some serious nausea in the morning. I have mixed feelings here, actually thinking if not for Mastroianni it may well have been flat out dreadful. 3.5

8. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

A mish-mash of narratives. Great work by Mastroianni as he transitions from scenario to scenario. Each of the individual stories is enjoyable, however strung together it doesn't work entirely smoothly. A bit disjointed and off-putting at times. But still... worth the watch. Some interesting visual moments and camera work at times. A few quite enjoyable comic moments as well. A bit uneven, but intriguing in the end.

9. koolacct's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

My 2nd Ruiz film to date, and once again a favourite--the pace is right, the color schemes (red and gold washes, rose-filter, white daylight) make note, and the story, twisting, somehow unrelated, converges in the third act. The score, lush & telling, but scarce. There's such imperfect consonance by the end of the film, which leaves you with a sense of peace amongst obvious tension and upset, much like a dream.

10. Levi Miah's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

A multi-layered quirk. Outstanding cinematography supports odd performances that only work given the strange context of the intricately threaded and dryly ridiculous script.

11. Diderot's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

A light-hearted, whimsical string of overlapping narratives that's really just one story with variations, and a charming end-of-career performance from the great Mastroianni (accompanied here by his daughter).

12. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

3.5 stars. Sly but never winking. Ruiz is mana for a neurotic and guilty soul like me as while his films do not suspend morality, they have a different morality. '90s Ruiz is a relaxed stylistic, which gives his films of this period an easy charm, though they are not without their quiet fevers and consternations. I was surprised to be reminded of Paul Auster's 'New York Trilogy'. "I was jealous... jealous of myself."

13. Dimitris's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

If Mastroianni is the narrative link, then Money is the thematic one.A man who wasted his time with money-eating fairies and alcohol. A man who divests of his wealth, but can't escape his upper class status. A philanthropist with nefarious purposes who enslaves his protégés. Excess, caste system, commodified social responsibility: all aspects of the 4th character, the businessman, "a sign that you belong to an elite"

14. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

Masterpiece. Caro and Jeunet owe Raoul Ruiz their careers as tonally anything they've done has been a poor paper trace of this original and morbid film. Similarly Gosling owes his career to the great Mastroianni's fussy-cool persona. It ties itself together toward the end, rejecting the promise of pure surrealism. I'm actually glad they did that, it means I might watch it again.

15. Superfrog's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

First thirty minutes are great. "Alors, l'affaire est conclue, vous resterez ici comme ca je rentrerai chez moi" The rest is also very good but less sustained.

16. Duda's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

Sorry for the rate just want to point out that I can't watch it in portugal. It says that I can't watch on the iPad because of my location. MUBI why????

17. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

Strange, dreamy, and wonderful, Three Lives And Only One Death stars Marcello Mastroianni as a man living four different lives, with them all eventually intersecting more and more as the central character reaches a crucial tipping point that may well bring down his mental house of cards. Director Raul Ruiz weaves through a complex narrative and a number of tonal changes with deceptive ease.

18. J's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

Not funny (maybe it's better if you understand the French, but the native I watched it with wasn't laughing), not engaging. Tedious...

19. Pango's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

It's fantastic to see how many European actors can speak and play in two or more languages. Make seem most of Hollywood actors limited. Great performance by Mastroianni.

20. marcelaferri's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

beautiful! #hndpickedcinema @mubi

21. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

22. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

A fitting ending for the Maestro, the chameleon called Marcello. "Please stop reading Carlos Casteneda!" I love the whole idea of negative anthropology. Great use of the pull-focus. The theme I took from it was the problem of the persuasive power of money. And lots of of other things that are cool!

23. FISCHER's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

>>> L'univers de Raul Ruiz, avec son humour, son hermétisme, son intelligence et sa constante richesse pour une œuvre étrange et bienvenue... www.cinefiches.com

24. Paolo Simeone's rating of the film Three Lives and Only One Death

As many good writers Ruiz got a little bit convoluted in later years. The result is obviously boring. I won't remember that much except the puns on Castaneda,