1. waywardwaters's rating of the film Three Times

Hou reaches beyond a sample platter compilation of sorts and forms a self-tribute of “love’s struggle through the ages” via a tripartite, zeitgeist sonata: consisting of an Allegro, a story of classic pursuit, an Adagio, of repressed inner lament and a postmodern Finale, signalling out the breakdown of technological globalism. 'Three Times' is an indispensable harvest for film at a time of total barren Earth.

2. DSPRKY's rating of the film Three Times

The middle part lacks subtlety (in a film about failed communication, having an entire 40 minutes without any audible dialogue is a little on the nose), but this can largely be overlooked given the quality of the bookending chapters. The first and last shot buttress the film wonderfully—we pull up to the motorcycle, but only briefly, and soon it is lost amid the traffic. We will never know where they end up.

3. Stefano De Putti's rating of the film Three Times

4. smndvdcl's rating of the film Three Times

This was the first Hsiao-Hsien film I saw, way back in 2005. Alongside other art-house directors like Weerasthakul, I understand on a cerebral level why they are so admired, but I require further inquiry to fully grasp their value.

5. Kamran's rating of the film Three Times

Beautifully rendered portraits of three states of time. Unassuming observation of how society and intimacy change over time. 96/100 - Masterful.

6. FISCHER's rating of the film Three Times

On évoque la triple réincarnation d'un amour infini. Certes. Mais pourquoi un ennui aussi profond pour une oeuvre somme toute hautement surévaluée ? www.cinefiches.com

7. Yongjia Li's rating of the film Three Times

最好的时光,干掉大轮回

8. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Three Times

The last segment didn't interest me much. I guess because its my era.

9. Aditya Watts's rating of the film Three Times

The first story is just as good as it gets! A story told almost entirely through looks and motion. Absolute genius.

10. James Mackin's rating of the film Three Times

My introduction to Hou Hsaio-Hsien. I didn't care for it.

11. Josh Lewellen's rating of the film Three Times

Like Kent Jones perfectly put it, I too half-expected to die of Stendhal syndrome while watching this pièce de résistance. As unimaginably excellent as the first and third sections are, the second movement might very well stand as the greatest sequence I've encountered in film.

12. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Three Times

Watching it again ten years later, I was struck by its datedness, how neatly Hou's work during this period encapsulated the world art cinema ideal, an ideal that looks a little quaint and stale from here, at least to me. But, you know, it's beautiful, and a virtuoso exercise; perhaps the ultimate articulation of Hou's precision, versatility, and style. And "Rain and Tears," man, over and over and then again please.

13. slugmore's rating of the film Three Times

Part's 1&3 of this are astounding.

14. A47's rating of the film Three Times

Quiet, just like his other films. But I can't help but rejoice in this one, where we're getting the story three times faster... A Time For Freedom was my favorite. The piano sonata creates the perfect distance and tempo for engaging, or drifting off into a nice peaceful sleep...

15. Yasser Azmy's rating of the film Three Times

The first Hou Hsiao film to watch, the first thing i noticed is the control over his actors you can see some methods has been done here, i almost lost it in "time of freedom" part .. the choice of being silent was not easy to keep your track as a viewer.

16. paxy's rating of the film Three Times

17. patricialirio's rating of the film Three Times

In 'time for love' Hou makes you believe love is timeless and indestructible; but in 'freedom' you're warned that love is not immaculate and that it hurts, that you're weak and vulnerable; as he ends with 'youth' and a tragic note on free will and self-honesty, he makes you want to live to the fullest above all things, specially love itself. Perfect harmony between tragedy and human nature (specially female).

18. Zachary W's rating of the film Three Times

A quiet moment of reflection and self-interrogation. The filmmaker Hou found his voice in (1966), the formalist that conquered the ungainly realm of 'World Cinema' (1911), and the sensualist's anxious (re)turn to youth and urban postmodernity (2005). Simultaneously the minor work of a master and a major summation and pivot point, which we will surely be returning to often when Hou's work is finally complete.

19. Mellow Dude's rating of the film Three Times

20. Tutu888's rating of the film Three Times

Disappointing. The division of the film in three separated stories which has no link with each other except the theme prevents the viewer to be really involved. The first story is by far the best of the three. In the second part the choice of the director to make it a silent movie works exhausting to the viewer. The cinematography is sometimes very beautiful and saves the film from disaster.

21. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film Three Times

Original, but not compelling as Flowers of Shanghai (his last truly great masterpiece, according to me)

22. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Three Times

Una historia más débil que la otra. De entre las tres, la mejor es la primera. Lástima que cuando por fin podemos ver fraternizar a los amantes, esta se pone fin. Tal vez el mayor defecto es que nunca las tres historias logran tener una relación entre sí, salvo porque comparten los mismos actores. Parecen ser tres cortos sueltos disímiles: uno objetivo, otro inclinado al cine silente y el otro denso.

23. Cependant's rating of the film Three Times

24. joaomoita's rating of the film Three Times

very slow and gentle, it gives you that internal pure feeling that sorts of fill you up and makes you want to live more after watching it