1. RodrigoPereira's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Armado ao caralho, simplesmente

2. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

A certain airiness belies the expected complexities - tangled relationships, guilt, illness - which swarm beneath a rather gorgeous surface (Nykvist's twilight cinematography is effective in conveying an otherworldliness). Whether by protocol or design, that Karin's mental anguish is not too heavily laid on - the descent into the wreck aside - aids the still surface disguise of the very dark qualities of this film.

3. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

A fine demonstration of Bergman's ability to create a perfectly formed piece that manages to pose fundamental existential questions without compromising the dramatic coherence - perhaps a legacy of his roots in theatre. The film works beautifully at symbolic, poetic, visual and narrative levels, the only slight misstep being the overly explicit final scene.

4. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Works better as a symbolic portrait of alienation than a realistic portrait of schizophrenia, though I came to the film with the baggage of a best friend with psychosis. As often with Bergman, mummery (whether home theatrics or adopting a mask in our interaction w/ loved ones) provides one of the greatest short-term defenses against the fragility of the world but carries long-term danger of cutting one off from life.

5. Pango's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Perfection. I can't believe this was made in 1961. Harriet Andersson gives one of the most incredible female performance in cinema history.

6. richard east's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

this can tear your heart apart

7. daniel's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

A rich and profound study, with insight that leaves me wondering how Bergman knows what he tells in the film. Beautifully shot and of perfect length. A masterclass in film making.

8. Superfrog's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Dark, amazing photography and composition. Classic gripping Bergman. As usual, not exactly cheerful with this story of a descent into madness.

9. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

A lot of people love this Ingmar Begrman film, and it's a beautiful and melancholic piece to recommend, but something held it back for me. A disconnect, ironically enough (considering the behaviour of the characters being depicted). Certainly still very much worth your time, especially if you are working through Bergman's rewarding filmography.

10. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

God is indeed whatever the hell you want it to be, and that can range from being a spider, 'love' or SPOILER: having woozy intercourse with your sister in an abandoned shipwreck... Electrifying drama - quiet but boiling beneath the surface.

11. P D Dawson's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

A stark and devastating story that takes place on a remote island. The island's remoteness makes the madness of Harriet Anderson's character, Karin, even more isolating and affecting to those around her. Karin is visited upon by what she believes to be God, but a God that seems to terrify her. No one around her can help, and that helplessness is perfectly portrayed by the wonderful writing and deft direction.

12. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

13. Catarina Monteiro's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

look what he did with a small cast and a limited space. Bergman leaves us with questions and doesn't give us the answers deliberately (and he has these doubts too)

14. Greg Przybyszewski's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Although a lot of darkness in this film (Karins illness)I think this film is also about hope. After all, the father comes out of it somehow changed and helps his son in the end. His interpretation, last words, are also about hope and love. Martins dedication to Karin is beautiful too. Liked the film.

15. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

"One can't live in two worlds at once". But there are three in the film: the theatrical world of art; the quotidian world of cooking and fishing; and the supernatural world of faith and delusion. Memorable images of each abound: the swoon inducing Princess of Castile; walking along the shore by the inexhaustible waves; undergoing rapture and horror in the upstairs room. But in the end it's simple 'Papa talked to me'

16. pintobean's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

That crack in the wallpaper... despair, betrayal, doubt all wrapped up inside. Familial bonds are endlessly tested, but despite Karin's lack of a cure, her sealed fate, it seems Bergman is not entirely pessimistic.

17. Ethan's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Bergman had a special way of making films dark and sexual all at the same time. Breathing life into the characters, so much so that they seem real and often at times it feels like a reflection of ourselves.

18. thebpicture's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

great film: poetic and thought provoking as is always the case with Bergman. Adore his religious themes, extremely personal...made you think if Karin was actually ill or if she did see God's presence.

19. Dogville59's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Having seen mental illness in a person close to me I can attest at how well Bergman portrayed the angst and hopelessness one feels at not being able to help. For 1961 this film was ahead of its time in its empathic portrayal of schizophrenia and the cinematography, dialogue, acting and pacing were perfect. If I had any doubts about giving it 10 out of 10 the ending blew those away it was just so beautiful.

20. Nachtreich's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

21. Aardsy's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Mental illness is fun for the whole family.

22. goulton green's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. For now we see in a mirror, darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.AV

23. FISCHER's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Puissante méditation sur la nature humaine et ses incessants questionnements sans réponses à travers une oeuvre troublante et forte, totalement maîtrisée... www.cinefiches.com

24. Cihat Arinc's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Minus— I wonder if everyone is caged in. You in your cage, I in mine. Each in his own little cube. Everybody. [...] David— One draws a magical circle around oneself to keep everything out that doesn't fit one's secret games. Each time life breaks through the circle, the games become puny and ridiculous, so we draw a new circle and build new defenses.

← Previous 1 3 4