1. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

8.0/10, "Slender in structure but rich in cerebral promptings, grand in ascetic setting and natural landscape, THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY hones up an immensely turbulent cauldron of psychosexual undertows and familial tensions." my full review - https://wp.me/p1eXom-3PK

2. Mx Nihil's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

"We draw a magic circle and shut out everything that doesn't agree with our secret games. Each time life breaks the circle, the games turn grey and ridiculous. Then we draw a new circle and build a new defense."; "Virility means more than health."

3. Vic Dorléac's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

The Silence of God/ Faith Trilogy Part One.

4. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

"God is a spider". I prefer "God is Love". It makes things simpler. This movie is filled with complicated people doing cruel things to each other. It's a great film technically, but I didn't see any poetry. Poetry is that thing that I think makes a film a classic. It's too concerned with the intellect.

5. caro's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

I can't remember the last time that I was so captivated by a movie. I was amazed by every single shot, every frame could be a piece of art in itself. You can stop the movie at any moment, and discover a sublime photograph were the faces, the thoughts, the emotions are carefully enlightened. This movie will definitely stay with me.

6. Eriugena82's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

A very serious (and interesting) study of the psychological impact of faith in a secular world. There is real complexity here too. The film gets at the very core of this desire for faith despite the 'silence of God', the difficulties of mental illness, and the fractured relationships within this small family. An austere drama which is not afraid to tackle some big questions. All in all an outstanding film.

7. Pierre.F's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Un film génial de Bergman - surement parmi mes préférés -, toujours le même talent pour filmer les visages.

8. bucharestaesthetics's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

9. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

10. lovecraftsdaughter's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

,,It's so horrible to see your own confusion and understand it.'' ,,I was empty. No fears, no regrets, no expectations.'' ,,- We draw a magic circle and shut out everything that doesn't agree with our secret games. Each time life breaks the circle, the games turn grey and ridiculous. Then we draw a new circle and build a new defense. - Poor little daddy. - Yes, poor little daddy, forced to live in reality.''

11. Olivier's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Un film d'une rare beauté et d'une grande intensité dramatique. Des acteurs stupéfiants.

12. Mattia Ricotta's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

13. Jim's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

★★★ /DCP/ Visually masterful, yet emotionally distant, Bergman’s story of a young girl’s struggle with mental illness, for me becomes weighted down by an overuse of expository dialogue, distracting from the visual grace of Nykvist’s stunning cinematography. The injection of incest feels more dramatically excessive than illuminating while scenes such as the walls whispering are intoxicating and frustratingly rare.

14. lou.'s rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

This morning I got up at dawn, a little distressed, because of insomnia. I decided to view again this film, one of those that concern me most, probably. The frailty and the radical loneliness - despite being surrounded by people who love you deeply - of the human being really are major themes faced with the usual infinite ability and the finest expertise. Notwithstanding this, I am now more anxious than before...

15. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

a haunting and beautiful examination of mental health

16. Mario C.'s rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Unparalleled drama on alienation, which goes straight, without truces, even in the (few) moments of apparent calm there is a persistent sense of incommunicability. There is something in the film that escapes all the time, a sense of inevitable loss, which takes away the four characters minute by minute and that seems to go beyond the protagonist's illness.

17. mubianer's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

35mm. To be honest I don't care too much about the "God is dead" stuff in Bergman's films. Sometimes his existential doubt and wondering seems a litte self-satisfied. What interests me is the human interactions, which he always does extremely well. 3.5*

18. sofiazelaya's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

nunca me había quedado dormida tantas veces intentando ver una película

19. Cemre Polat's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

20. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

You simply won't find more Bergmanian than that, with a swedish summer (and the splendid light that goes with it), an island, a play, harsh dialogues, intense drama, familiar faces (Andersson, Von Sydow)... The Shipwreck scene is beautiful, actually everything is beautiful here. Schizophrenia always interested Bergman. The film is at times a bit enigmatic, just enough to make you want to watch it immediatly again !

21. SpacePirate's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Prime Bergman. I love his more introspective psychological films of the 60s. Kinda foreshadows his pinnacle mindfuck Cries and Whispers. The whole cast are at the top of their respective games here and overall, I would say this has crept into my top 5 fav films of his. Essential world cinema. All the accolades have already been said, so just go buy it, watch it, and treasure it. 5 easy stars

22. Thomas's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

23. Zach Closs's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

Compelling evidence for Harriet Andersson as Bergman's most meaningful collaborator. Her performance is fearless and often expressly inward; it's hard to watch any other actor when she's onscreen. Bergman and his troupe's sensitivity for little, human moments -- glances, glares, glazed eyes and dodged kisses -- enable him to say more in 89 minutes than other directors could in 200.

24. jewelsofglory's rating of the film Through a Glass Darkly

This and persona are my favourite Bergman films.

← Previous 1 3 4 5