1. James Mackin's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Uncomfortably powerful, and quite angering.

2. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Titicut Follies

3. LibertyCapz's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Absolutely fascinating insight into the living and working conditions that workers and inmates at Bridgewater correctional institution in Massachusetts had to endure.

4. mubianer's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Much better than Wiseman's later films from famous cultural institutions. This is like an alternative report from the tumultous 60s. Daily life in the prison opens up larger questions about the prison system, punishment, insanity.

5. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Titicut Follies

6. Giacomo Pozzi's rating of the film Titicut Follies

7. astygianelysium's rating of the film Titicut Follies

It doesn't take much to indict the unjust institution that protects its psychiatric integrity above actually listening to its so-called mad subjects. It takes much more to let the mad speak for themselves: in opacity of gesture, in speech that unwinds itself, in exercises of reason that reveals the arbitrariness behind the sane/insane distinction. As a portrait of norm-power's need to exclude, the film is indelible.

8. letters never sent's rating of the film Titicut Follies

It's great, in a harrowing and eye-opening way.

9. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Titicut Follies

10. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film Titicut Follies

PROTECT FREDERICK WISEMAN AT ALL COSTS

11. Balthaz21's rating of the film Titicut Follies

12. Ryan Swen's rating of the film Titicut Follies

13. Kirill Sozinov's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Message to Man (Saint-Petersburg, 2016) Retrospective of Frederick Wiseman

14. Elle Johnston's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Utterly harrowing and unbelievably sad. In a perfect world this wouldn't exist because this should not have been made but in a way, it's a good thing it does. Can never watch it again though - three times was enough when studying it.

15. Absentia's rating of the film Titicut Follies

16. lndah's rating of the film Titicut Follies

17. Samuel Donath's rating of the film Titicut Follies

I don't really know what to think about this one. It is overwhelming, and hard to watch. I feel like the editing plays with us, and it only takes us so close. Provocative and earth shattering for the time. It gets 4 stars for the humanity, the balls to make the film, and the pain that the camera captures fleetingly.

18. msmichel's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Wiseman's debut took us behind the walls of a state prison for the criminally insane in Bridgewater, Massachusetts and exposed the cruelty, mistreatment and taunting of those supposed to be getting therapy. Famously banned from public exhibition for over 25 years the film has lost none of its incendiary power. A difficult watch that one wonders how the filmmakers were allowed to film in the first place. Essential.

19. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Titicut Follies

The intertitle that closes the film amounts to a bitter punchline.

20. muh.'s rating of the film Titicut Follies

interesting look into how we treat people deemed mentally disadvantaged and how authoritarianism easily forgets that there are people on the other side.

21. Theories Of Anxiety's rating of the film Titicut Follies

It was really beautifully shot but I didn't find it as disturbing as I expected.

22. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Titicut Follies

"If you're just part of this larger community that we call a nation you can reap the benefits." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2014/07/episode-21-first-films-of-frederick.html

23. Abby Sun's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Wiseman doesn't have the rhythm and hallmark editing of his later work (or really, any work Hospital and after) but this is the one that started them all. Explosive material treated with seriousness and an eye towards justice.

24. Dignan's rating of the film Titicut Follies

As someone who has experienced modern day psychiatric abuse, I can say the authoritarianism, perverse ideology and "diagnostic" procedures are the same today as in 1967. Because there is no medical evidence in psychiatry it really comes down to the "patient's" story versus the doctor's -- and the former has already lost because he's been labelled a patient.