1. Giacomo Pozzi's rating of the film Titicut Follies

2. astygianelysium's rating of the film Titicut Follies

It doesn't take much to indict the unjust institution that protects its psychiatric integrity above actually listening to its so-called mad subjects. It takes much more to let the mad speak for themselves: in opacity of gesture, in speech that unwinds itself, in exercises of reason that reveals the arbitrariness behind the sane/insane distinction. As a portrait of norm-power's need to exclude, the film is indelible.

3. letters never sent's rating of the film Titicut Follies

It's great, in a harrowing and eye-opening way.

4. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Titicut Follies

5. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film Titicut Follies

PROTECT FREDERICK WISEMAN AT ALL COSTS

6. Balthaz21's rating of the film Titicut Follies

7. Ryan Swen's rating of the film Titicut Follies

8. Kirill Sozinov's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Message to Man (Saint-Petersburg, 2016) Retrospective of Frederick Wiseman

9. Elle Johnston's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Utterly harrowing and unbelievably sad. In a perfect world this wouldn't exist because this should not have been made but in a way, it's a good thing it does. Can never watch it again though - three times was enough when studying it.

10. Absentia's rating of the film Titicut Follies

11. lndah's rating of the film Titicut Follies

12. Samuel Donath's rating of the film Titicut Follies

I don't really know what to think about this one. It is overwhelming, and hard to watch. I feel like the editing plays with us, and it only takes us so close. Provocative and earth shattering for the time. It gets 4 stars for the humanity, the balls to make the film, and the pain that the camera captures fleetingly.

13. msmichel's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Wiseman's debut took us behind the walls of a state prison for the criminally insane in Bridgewater, Massachusetts and exposed the cruelty, mistreatment and taunting of those supposed to be getting therapy. Famously banned from public exhibition for over 25 years the film has lost none of its incendiary power. A difficult watch that one wonders how the filmmakers were allowed to film in the first place. Essential.

14. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Titicut Follies

The intertitle that closes the film amounts to a bitter punchline.

15. muh.'s rating of the film Titicut Follies

interesting look into how we treat people deemed mentally disadvantaged and how authoritarianism easily forgets that there are people on the other side.

16. Theories Of Anxiety's rating of the film Titicut Follies

It was really beautifully shot but I didn't find it as disturbing as I expected.

17. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Titicut Follies

"If you're just part of this larger community that we call a nation you can reap the benefits." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2014/07/episode-21-first-films-of-frederick.html

18. Abby Sun's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Wiseman doesn't have the rhythm and hallmark editing of his later work (or really, any work Hospital and after) but this is the one that started them all. Explosive material treated with seriousness and an eye towards justice.

19. Dignan's rating of the film Titicut Follies

As someone who has experienced modern day psychiatric abuse, I can say the authoritarianism, perverse ideology and "diagnostic" procedures are the same today as in 1967. Because there is no medical evidence in psychiatry it really comes down to the "patient's" story versus the doctor's -- and the former has already lost because he's been labelled a patient.

20. Liviu Cozma's rating of the film Titicut Follies

A very complex issue is oversimplified and given a flawed understanding, making it hard to find a middle ground between the real problems depicted and the ones probably more invented by editing than real, making this both ethical for its courage and unethical for being manipulative at times. There might be more truth in between scenes, just as a crazy person appears to be logical at times. Props for the real stuff.

21. Peter Barlow's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Incredibly difficult to watch, but illuminating- in its cruelty and its humanity.

22. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Titicut Follies

May perpetual light shine upon them.

23. lina maj's rating of the film Titicut Follies

Wiseman has amazing sense of rhytm. There's a certain pulse in every single song, dialogue, steps etc. and it converges beautifully.

24. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Titicut Follies