1. EdieEmm's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

My 1st JPR - approached warily, given the obvious riffing on 13 Moons... But this is solid; unquestionably the product of a complex & well-developed vision. Exactly the beauty/depth/empathy/awareness combo I'm most drawn to. Characters that aren't so much tragic as frank about the tragedy of it all; quiet fierce full messy unapologetic dignity. Queerness. Nuanced, rich, & genuinely moving. Startling use of music 4.5

2. msmichel's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Rodriques' film on second watch (after its 2009 festival showing) performs even better now with the director's wit and experimental playfulness shining through. Santos is extraordinary as an aged drag queen who's career and looks are coming to an end. He plays Tonia, a showgirl with a young drug addled boyfriend amongst other problems and health issues and though the film is tragic in nature it is rich in humanity.

3. DrFirestone's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Unique and truly skillful storytelling that shifts back and forth between reality, poetry, and incredible surreal drifts with such an ease... It's a mysterious and sensitive journey through relationships, love, and self-discovery. Beautifully shot, backed by strong performances and an interesting soundtrack. One of the most memorable films I watched this year.

4. Jim Jevel's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

My favourite opening sequence ever.

5. Francisca's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

6. Francia Herrera's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

El arte es síntesis, pero también transformación. La genialidad de JPR es nunca caer en el género y nunca traicionar el "calvario" de la bellísima Tonia. Una carta de amor al cine, una increíble oda entre el cinema de autor y algo totalmente apto para salas comerciales este film y quienes han invertido su trabajo en "crearla" han logrado crear una pieza inolvidable, humana y universal.

7. Renton47's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Having loved The Ornithologist this seems only half committed to its fantastical elements - not that it's not full fantasia, replete with experiments in colour and scope, and one blood-moon sequence that could bottle pixies. Rather the melodrama is, at worse, from more staid narratives of ageing impresario's resigning the throne.

8. captainfez's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

YOUR SON AND YOUR BOYFRIEND SUCK: an overlong tale.

9. DSPRKY's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Absurd, Baroque, comely, drawn out. The opening scene is a work of genius but the rest can't quite keep up this torrid pace.

10. Superfrog's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

It did not need to be as tragic ( but this is Portuguese cinema) and the scenes are pretty well done. I wish I could get 100% attention as I am sure I missed plenty but I liked what I saw a lot. Top marks for the sex change op as origami scene. Impressive

11. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

A look at what lengths someone may go to in order to erase their past, and also what can cause a turnaround leading to that same past being reclaimed, To Die Like A Man benefits from decent performances and an interesting complexity throughout but suffers from a lack of focus that is reflected in the overlong runtime.

12. MarKamilJan's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Thank you MUBI ..it was my 2d Portuguese movie which I've been watching with pleasure. Reality & dreams & not artificial Queer's World without shine & too much drama. Last scene and Drag-cover fado marvellous.

13. AugusteB's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Unique in style and content. Took me a while to like it but then I really did. "Calvary" by Baby Dee gets a beautiful song moment, which makes the whole film enter a new dimension.

14. Diogo Moreira's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

A primeira cena de Morrer Como Um Homem, a cena que norteia a trajetória do filme, na verdade está no fim: o grand finale do velório. É nesta apoteose que tudo se enfeixa, daí as elipses bruscas, a síntese impossível entre um plano sequencial e planos hieráticos, “acabados”, desligados de contextos dramáticos. A Morte e sua potência demiúrgica rasura e recorta o filme inteiro.

15. El Biffo's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

3.5 I am really tired of transsexuals being portrayed as tragic, even if it is a good film. It makes the whole film so predictable, and it kinda pisses me off and perpetuates a fucked-up paradigm. Also I watched this film because I liked this screenshot and thought that the synopsis was about this character, but she only has a minor role. This film is actually about white people.

16. Beatriz Magro's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

17. MONSIEURDE's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

18. Daniel Roque's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Spoilers à parte - até porque o título diz tudo - o funeral é a cena mais bem conseguida de todo o filme e talvez das mais tenebrosamente bonitas no cinema português. A Irene e a Maria Bakker são dignas de uma caturreira pela tarde a dentro com um bolo de chocolate a acompanhar.

19. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

20. caitlin.f's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

really sad & poignant. i hate how so many stories about transgender & gay folks have to be soaked in violence & tragedy.

21. Backdoor Man's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Even though it seemed a little bit too long and uninteresting, I appreciate it for its good ending. Bonus: the final song, the Celan reference and Lisbon location.

22. naokoken's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

"In pre-made moulds I don't know how to create myself" is sung near the beginning. Loved the snipe hunting scene where the all sit in to woods during a lunar eclipse as Baby Dee's “Calvary” plays. The movie had its moments here and there.

23. Holly Hinson's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Beautiful, but why do all we gays have to die in the end?

24. Honeychurch's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Thanks MUBI for bringing this-- never would have seen it w/o you. Lots of memorable scenes.