1. DSPRKY's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Absurd, Baroque, comely, drawn out. The opening scene is a work of genius but the rest can't quite keep up this torrid pace.

2. Superfrog's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

It did not need to be as tragic ( but this is Portuguese cinema) and the scenes are pretty well done. I wish I could get 100% attention as I am sure I missed plenty but I liked what I saw a lot. Top marks for the sex change op as origami scene. Impressive

3. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

A look at what lengths someone may go to in order to erase their past, and also what can cause a turnaround leading to that same past being reclaimed, To Die Like A Man benefits from decent performances and an interesting complexity throughout but suffers from a lack of focus that is reflected in the overlong runtime.

4. MarKamil's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Thank you MUBI ..it was my 2d Portuguese movie which I've been watching with pleasure. Reality & dreams & not artificial Queer's World without shine & too much drama. Last scene and Drag-cover fado marvellous.

5. AugusteB's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Unique in style and content. Took me a while to like it but then I really did. "Calvary" by Baby Dee gets a beautiful song moment, which makes the whole film enter a new dimension.

6. Diogo Moreira's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

A primeira cena de Morrer Como Um Homem, a cena que norteia a trajetória do filme, na verdade está no fim: o grand finale do velório. É nesta apoteose que tudo se enfeixa, daí as elipses bruscas, a síntese impossível entre um plano sequencial e planos hieráticos, “acabados”, desligados de contextos dramáticos. A Morte e sua potência demiúrgica rasura e recorta o filme inteiro.

7. El Biffo's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

3.5 I am really tired of transsexuals being portrayed as tragic, even if it is a good film. It makes the whole film so predictable, and it kinda pisses me off and perpetuates a fucked-up paradigm. Also I watched this film because I liked this screenshot and thought that the synopsis was about this character, but she only has a minor role. This film is actually about white people.

8. Beatriz Magro's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

9. MONSIEURDE's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

10. Daniel Roque's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Spoilers à parte - até porque o título diz tudo - o funeral é a cena mais bem conseguida de todo o filme e talvez das mais tenebrosamente bonitas no cinema português. A Irene e a Maria Bakker são dignas de uma caturreira pela tarde a dentro com um bolo de chocolate a acompanhar.

11. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

12. caitlin.f's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

really sad & poignant. i hate how so many stories about transgender & gay folks have to be soaked in violence & tragedy.

13. Backdoor Man's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Even though it seemed a little bit too long and uninteresting, I appreciate it for its good ending. Bonus: the final song, the Celan reference and Lisbon location.

14. naokoken's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

"In pre-made moulds I don't know how to create myself" is sung near the beginning. Loved the snipe hunting scene where the all sit in to woods during a lunar eclipse as Baby Dee's “Calvary” plays. The movie had its moments here and there.

15. Holly Hinson's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Beautiful, but why do all we gays have to die in the end?

16. Honeychurch's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Thanks MUBI for bringing this-- never would have seen it w/o you. Lots of memorable scenes.

17. Loz Loory's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Thanks, MUBI. I'm glad to have gotten to view this. Early on when Jenny is singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart," the line "Once upon a time I was falling in love/But now I'm only falling apart" perfectly encapsulates Tonia's journey in the film. Sadly, the characters and unnecessarily lengthy scenes portrayed excessive bitterness and cruelty, and so I distracted myself by worrying about the fate of the animals.

18. ijustgetbored's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

I found this neither overlong nor overly lush. The extended scenes and vibrant colors evoked literary magical realism as it would appear on-screen. It is indeed long, but the length evokes Tonia's journey in a realistic way: some parts of her experience are lengthy and ripe with meaning, while some parts pass by almost too quickly to process.

19. opandadodavid's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

O título é um Spoiler, o Finalmente é mencionado

20. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

MOURIR COMME UN HOMME (MORRER COMO UM HOMEM) film de JOÃO PEDRO RODRIGUES. Portugal, 2009.

21. Hyldre's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Des êtres hybrides, mi-homme mi-femme, se sont perdus dans la forêt. Rodrigues filme la fuite de Tonia qui part à la recherche de son identité sexuelle. La vie décidera pour elle. Un film magnifique, poignant, où les mouvements de caméra, vertigineux, suivent avec délicatesse ces personnages vagabonds et désenchantés. Sublime !

22. Caillouquiroule's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Un très beau film, frontal mais sans vaine provocation. Rodrigues aime ses personnages, les filme bien, nous fait nous intéresser à leurs problèmes sans en rajouter. A noter une parenthèse onirique au milieu du film qui m'a un peu ennuyé ; le ton réaliste du début et de la fin m'ont plus parlé.

23. Axel's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

La brave Tonia, touchante de bonté, court après son mec suicidaire, après son fils assassin, après son public infidèle et elle n’a pas le temps de se trouver elle même. Par ce beau portrait onirique, Joao Pedro Rodrigues ne tombe pas dans le piège des clichés.

24. cyrikelly's rating of the film To Die Like a Man

Hymne à la tolérance. Les capacités extraordinaire de l'être humain, à dépasser les préjugés. Film de grande humanité. Merci M. Joao PEDRO RODRIGUES.