1. Mr. Gumby's rating of the film Tobacco Road

It begins as a delirious satire to social stereotypes of the underdeveloped america. There is too much yelling and the characters seem more "puppets" than humans. But as the film evolves, Ford introduces a beautiful portrait of survival in hard times of change, in a battle between the city and the countryside, in one of his most unpredictable and touching works. Loved the little roles of Gene Tierney and Ward Bond.

2. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Tobacco Road

3. Matt Kilgore's rating of the film Tobacco Road

4. chanandre's rating of the film Tobacco Road

[Cinémathèque PT #659: 35 mm] (2008) John Ford will forever and ever be the captain of my soul, steering into soulful harbor. I owe you that much John.

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Tobacco Road

Même si l'incontournable metteur en scène John Ford ne retraduit pas vraiment le réalisme brutal voire sordide et l'érotisme exacerbé du célèbre roman de l'écrivain Erskine Caldwell, l'oeuvre reste d'une qualité évidente et pertinente... www.cinefiches.com

6. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Tobacco Road

They're stupid, lazy and dishonest but John Ford tells us that they can be as heroic as the ones who stayed in History. Just check the scene of the Lesters's journey to the poorhouse. Highly recommended.